Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Signs of Ketosis? page 7

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    The fact glucagon is stimulated by stress means it's a stress hormone. As does the fact it's an adaptive hormone.

Energy metabolism in trauma and sepsis: t... [Prog Clin Biol Res. 1983] - PubMed - NCBI

Without insulin action, glucagon causes hyperglycemia. Fatty acid oxidation is by and large inefficient and increasingly activates pathways that cause oxidative stress, inflammation and apoptosis
    OK, you got a bunch of quotes without a source so I'm gonna just assume those are all Ray Peat quotes and not associated directly with your abstract link.

Context truly is everything. We could call throwing 300 pounds on your back and making you go from a sit to stand position repeatedly a quite stressful event couldn't we? So obviously the hormone cascade necessary to burn glucose under these circumstances are stress hormones right? Thats the logic you article seems to be working with. I don't agree.

"Fatty acid oxidation is by and large inefficient and increasingly activates pathways that cause oxidative stress, inflammation and apoptosis" This is a statement and not backed up by fact. We could argue this point for carbs also ....

From Lucas Tufar (same fella that made the mathematical point that ketosis is not stressful):

"You are correct, the generation of ROS is in the ETC. But it differs from electrons derived from glucose or fatty acids. Glucose generates more NADH+, which then transfer electrons to complex I (NADH dehydrogenase). Fatty acids produce almost an equal amount of NADH+ and FADH2, which utilizes preferentially complex II (succinate dehydrogenase).

1 molecule of glucose:

Ratio NADH+:FADH2 = 5:1

1 molecule of palmitate:

Ratio NADH+:FADH2 = 2:1

Complex I is the main producer of ROS in the ETC, along with complex III. See:

Mitochondria and reactive oxygen species. [Hypertension. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

Localization of the site of oxygen radic... [J Bioenerg Biomembr. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI

Another complex which is utilized by catabolism of fatty acids is the electron-transferring flavoprotein.

A good, comprehensive review can be found Glucose Hysteresis as a Mechanism in Dietary Restriction, Aging and Disease

And, the basics http://themedicalbiochemistrypage.or...html#complexes "

Since you just quoted some Ray I'll just qoute Lucas. But there are studies to back it up. Also appears to be a bit more recent. Not really trying to prolong the agony of this discussion again. Just posting this to show that there are more ways than you can shake a stick at to analyze stress and function in a system as complex as we are.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-18-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Now can someone get back to answering OP....maybe ketostix? Any suggestions on a good blood ketone monitor? Come on guys....

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Citric acid cycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Electron transport chain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Glucose is a more efficient energy source due to the promotion of co2, leading to a far better cellular respiration.

I have several cross references to link, but as you said, and why I typically refrain from posting them, is it just turns into a PubMed war with abstracts taking precedence.
    nihil

As for being in ketosis, I think ketostix are about as reliable as it gets, no?
    nihil

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    As for being in ketosis, I think ketostix are about as reliable as it gets, no?
    Actually they say blood ketone levels are the only truly reliable method because the more adept you get to utilizing ketones for energy the less you actually excrete.

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    No ketostix aren't terribly accurate. The blood monitors are the most accurate way to test. Ketostix will work well when first entering ketosis, but after your body stops wasting ketones and gets efficient with them, they don't necessarily show up enough in urine anymore.

Ah, that makes sense
    nihil

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Is the blood monitor the same device diabetics use to test themselves at home? We have one of those that another member of the family uses. This February I will have been Primal 2 years. I've lost 115 lbs so I just figured I might be in Ketosis. I used the test strips and they don't register even as dark as the lowest color on the scale.

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Is the blood monitor the same device diabetics use to test themselves at home? We have one of those that another member of the family uses. This February I will have been Primal 2 years. I've lost 115 lbs so I just figured I might be in Ketosis. I used the test strips and they don't register even as dark as the lowest color on the scale.
    interested in this answer..
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've heard that the ketostix can only indicate a certain type of ketone(s)? in the urine. The majority of the low-carb community people seems to agree that they basically only indicate how well hydrated a person is. Oh, and the accuracy of the aim.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast