None of that is true Zach.
Originally Posted by Zach
You can live regular life and lift weights while in ketosis.
For small, sedentary women, 1200 calories is not starvation. A lot of women have a TDEE in the 1500-1600 range. For them, 1200 kcal is a moderate deficit. If these women are older - in their 60's and 70's - that can become maintenance.
My issue with ketogenic dieting is it is based on skewed logic. For a small amount of people, ketogenic dieting may be advantageous, but if it is advantageous, that indicates you have severe health issues. Ketosis exists solely for one reason - it is a backup metabolic system for when your primary metabolism cannot function. Ketosis exists for periods of famine where you cannot eat a proper human diet. People who diet in ketosis are literally putting their body in a state where they think there is a food scarcity. That "high" feeling you get is stress hormones being elevated because your body is literally consuming lean tissue to fuel your brain. Your adrenaline and serotonin are high. It feels good. It's not good.
Can you exist and function in ketosis? Yes. Are there situations where ketosis is ideal? Yes. But if it is truly beneficial to you, it signals that you are likely in dire straits with health. Occasionally putting yourself in ketosis may be very healthy - brief stressors are often good for the body. That's why lifting heavy is so great. But let's look at the facts:
I exercise 1 hour a day 3 times a week. Of that time, I spend about 20% of it actually lifting. That's around 36 minutes a week I am actually stressing my body. There are 10,080 minutes in a week. I am lifting weights literally 0.36% of my life. The other 99.64% of my life, I am recovering from that 0.36%! And sometimes it is not enough. Every 4-6 weeks I need a full week off to "catch up."
Spending a day a month in ketosis? Probably a good thing! Let your body elevate its stress hormones occasionally. Starve yourself a day. Stuff your face a day. There may be health benefits. But to purposely exist in a state that only naturally occurs under extreme duress? Not for me! Low fat, low carb...it is all bullshit. Your body wants a little bit of everything. Every time you force your body to manufacture glucose, fat, cholesterol, etc from another means, you are creating unnecessary stress. The Inuit are probably one of the most haggard, fastest-aging traditional societies in history. Why anyone would want to do that to themselves outside of medicinal purposes is beyond me.
Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-18-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.