Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Signs of Ketosis? page 2

Zach is offline Banned
    Shop Now
    Because very few do well for long periods of time in true ketosis. Also ayla, im not trying to be insulting but were you really pushing yourself during your crossfit sessions? Im guessing you were lifting relatively light weights and doing mostly metabolic conditioning. This stuff would probably be fueled by fat most of the time.

Also what was your ratio of protein to fat during that time? No doubt Gluconeogenesis was happening.

"the process occurs during periods of fasting, starvation, low-carbohydrate diets, or intense exercise. Gluconeogenesis is often associated with ketosis."

So even if you are eating very low carb, your body is still trying to maintain blood sugar levels and store glucose. This does have a very stressful effect on the body like Choco said above and is probably the reason why almost all cannot sustain ketosis indefinitely.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Light weights, oh come on. And yes I was pushing myself to my max, otherwise I would not have bothered going.
    Maybe light compared to some of the men who were going, and I didn't always do the RX'd weight, but I went up in weights all the time, and gained a lot of strength.
    Just accept you are not right for everyone. This way of life is perfect for me. Simple as that.

Similar ratios to now, 20 % protein to 60% fat, def not as high in fat as now, and slightly more carbs, as in very slightly, 20 % instead of 10%.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Similar ratios to now, 20 % protein to 60% fat, def not as high in fat as now, and slightly more carbs, as in very slightly, 20 % instead of 10%.
    Well i wouldnt say 20% is VLC, and certainly not in ketosis. That was probably enough for you to fuel the intense parts of your workout. Dont fool yourself into thinking that fat can fuel anaerobic activity or heavy weight lifting. Your body will get glucose from somewhere, why not give it what it wants so it doesnt need to break down muscle tissue or ingested protein thats meant for tissue repair?

20% is not low carb? Under 50g a day? UM Ok now.
    So what the hell is very low carb then?
    I am not going to argue you with you any more. There is no point. Clearly I need to stay away from this place, at least from other threads like this one.

Zach is offline Banned
    So you were eating like 1600 calories a day?

Usually people agree that VLC as being in ketosis which is under 30g with 10g being much more preferable. LC would be under 100g a day which i would have guessed is what you ate at 20%. Dont know how you could fuel workouts or even live off of 1600 cals.

Come on though, you cant argue with my above statement that fat does not fuel crossfit type workouts or heavy lifting. There was a reason you were able to make it through those workouts, stress hormones, Gluconeogenesis and the small amount of carbs you did eat did that, not fat. Why not at least do carb refeeds or carb fueling?

Up to you though, good luck this time.

No less,maybe 1400 if that and I was never ever starving and always felt good, and still do now,, although did not track every day. Then and now I could not have eaten any more food without over eating.
    I am now under 20 g most days at the moment and 1200 calories. And yes I plan to lift heavy again very soon, and no I will not need to increase my carbs.
    I don't agree with you. I was being fueled by fat, and I am not the only one. Do a damn search, start a thread, plenty of people are lifting heavy, doing CrossFit type workouts on VLC. Shit, I know some people can't but plenty can.
    I DON"T WANT TO DO WHAT YOU DO, IT DOESN"T WORK FOR ME!! READ MY OTHER POSTS.
    CAN YOU UNDERSTAND ENGLISH!!!!!

Zach is offline Banned
    No less,maybe 1400 if that and I was never ever starving and always felt good, and still do now,, although did not track every day. Then and now I could not have eaten any more food without over eating.
    I am now under 20 g most days at the moment and 1200 calories. And yes I plan to lift heavy again very soon, and no I will not need to increase my carbs.
    I don't agree with you. I was being fueled by fat, and I am not the only one. Do a damn search, start a thread, plenty of people are lifting heavy, doing CrossFit type workouts on VLC. Shit, I know some people can't but plenty can.
    I DON"T WANT TO DO WHAT YOU DO, IT DOESN"T WORK FOR ME!! READ MY OTHER POSTS.
    CAN YOU UNDERSTAND ENGLISH!!!!!
    No, no one does VLC and crossfits at a high level. There are no weightlifters, powerlifters, bodybuilders, professional athletes of any kind besides a very small percent doing long duration cardio that is VLC. It is not possible because that is not how our body works.

Also 1200 calories is starvation. Good luck with that.

Ok right.
    I am not starving at all.
    I think making myself eat more than I need is stupid. If I am hungry I eat

Zach is offline Banned
    PrimalCon New York
    Ok right.
    I am not starving at all.
    I think making myself eat more than I need is stupid. If I am hungry I eat
    Im serious. The body needs a certain amount of calories just to do all its normal functions. Things like regulating blood sugar come to mind, and using lean body mass is much more efficient then fat stores. Eating that low in calories and carbohydrates will certainly put your body into starvation mode where it will cling to fat as much as possible and slowly eat away lean body mass. Adding intense exercise on top of that would just be asking for permanent metabolic and hormonal damage.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast