Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Palm Oil- Need a starter recipe page 2

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Primal Fuel
    I didnt care for the red palm oil, personally, and neither did my digestion---weird perhaps? Maybe I needed to give it more time...
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the suggestions, all.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    I'd make up a thick tomato soup based on shito (dried shrimp and chilli paste) and drop a fish into it - something like tilapia or cod would be good. Some shredded greens, also.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    I've been frying up my pastured eggs in it, adding himalayan sea salt & turmeric (yeah!, let's communalize all our yellow-orange super foods in 1 dish!). I also stir-fry veggies, leafy greens in particular in it. I have loads of coconut oil & use it but I also try to mix red palm oil into my dishes for variety when I think of it... I buy mine @ a local Indian Grocer, where it's cheap & from Ghana, so it's a win-win-win for all.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Betorq is offline Senior Member

Yikes! ** Palm Oil: maybe not such a good idea after all

Can palm oil cause inflammation?
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Oil: maybe not such a good idea after all
    Human Food Project - Anthropology of microbes

** Palm Oil: maybe not such a good idea after all
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    There are two things that you can be certain of when it comes to palm oil: 1) business is booming and 2) orangutans hate palm oil (if they could speak to us, Iím confident thatís what they would say). We can now add another certainty to that: palm oil causes low-grade inflammation that is linked to insulin resistance, obesity and other metabolic diseases that are partially mediated by our resident gut microbes..

See how palm oil stacked up against rapeseed oil, milk fat, and sunflower oil for triggering inflammation READ MORE (Palm Oil: maybe not such a good idea after all - Human Food Project)
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Jennifer Cote is offline Junior Member
    I researched the sustainability topic. Bottom line: It is a food source that CAN be sustainable. Buy a good West African oil from a reputable source. Otherwise, yes, some problems have occurred. But, considering that palm oil is apparently THE major oil source for the world, it's no wonder there might have been some habitat disruption. I imagine ANY food grown in huge quantity is in danger of upsetting the natural balance.
    I do think we can support the good companies though. I'm real happy with some West African RPO I got on Amazon
    Oh, but I agree with you, jammies- I don't much like the taste either. I'm posting on this page again, about how I cook with it under those circumstances

Jennifer (from "gratefultable.com")

Recipes. If you're not a huge fan of the flavor, consider these options:
    >Whatever the recipe, add other bright colors, since the RPO will color it anyway. Makes it seem like it's supposed to be that color.
    >Strong flavors help take the edge off the weird flavor. Lots of garlic and onion, plus whatever herbs. Curry or cumin on occasion, or turmeric.
    >Paprika or tomatoes will also color it, "disguising" it (at least for the mind, if not totally to the palate).
    >Go "Moraccan", using green olives and chopped up raisins (plus turmeric, garlic, tomato). Add whatever veggies, whatever meat. I love it that way, even if I said I don't love RPO...
    Those of us who are a bit squeamish can still use this stuff, under the right conditions, and actually enjoy the meal. But my husband says, "Just don't add it to sweets." I must concur. I tried making an RPO/Cacoa Powder/Palm Sugar confection... I can only eat it when I'm starving!

Betorq, are you referring to refined palm oil, or unrefined red palm oil?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12