Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Burn more fat while fasted? page

  1. #1
    ar0e's Avatar
    ar0e is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    96

    Burn more fat while fasted?

    Primal Fuel
    I usually begin my mornings with a cup of bulletproof coffee and a nice primal breakfast, then take my dog on a 5 mile walk to serve as my 'move frequently at a slow pace". I was thinking this morning, would I burn more fat if I drank the bulletproof coffee then went on the walk, followed by breakfast?

  2. #2
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    4,044
    Honestly, you are spinning your wheels using either methods!

  3. #3
    Tom B-D's Avatar
    Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    380
    I don't think it would make a lot of difference if you're fat adapted--and that the walk doesn't "burn" that much fat in and of itself, but is part of keeping your metabolism and hormones in good balance. Mark talks about it on a few posts--try a search on the main page.

  4. #4
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,817
    Via what mechanism? Do you think you're more "fasted" after a bulletproof coffee than after a bulletproof coffee and breakfast?

  5. #5
    ar0e's Avatar
    ar0e is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Via what mechanism? Do you think you're more "fasted" after a bulletproof coffee than after a bulletproof coffee and breakfast?
    Sort of since I do have some carbs with breakfast, usually a half of a sweet potato. My thought process was the my walks would burn the carbs from the sweet potato before it would burn fat. Is this not how it works?

  6. #6
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,817
    Quote Originally Posted by ar0e View Post
    Sort of since I do have some carbs with breakfast, usually a half of a sweet potato. My thought process was the my walks would burn the carbs from the sweet potato before it would burn fat. Is this not how it works?
    No, that's pretty true. In the short run, you'll store the fat and burn the carbs. And eating after the walk will just result in your adipose tissue being replenished as you burn off the carbohydrates, replacing everything your walk burned anyway. It's not like you'll hold the meal in your stomach until you use up every bit as fuel. Your digestive system is not a car's gas tank.

    Now, you might say there are hormonal factors at play. And you'd be absolutely right. But while we have a wide variety of viewpoints on the exact mechanisms thereof (and I'm not about to open that can of worms), I don't think anybody would suggest that it will make a huge difference in your total body mass or composition if you put the breakfast after a walk. If we were talking a session of heavy squats or sprints, the impact might arguably be worth considering.

    I say eat/drink your breakfast when it feels best for you. Do you like walking on an empty stomach or full?

  7. #7
    ar0e's Avatar
    ar0e is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    96
    When should I eat in regards to my strength training routine? I do 20 mins of kettlebells 3-4 days a week. It's hard to wrap my head around some of this, I come from a low cal, low fat, chronic cardio background, and it's hard to not just revert back to my old ways sometimes.

  8. #8
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,817
    Quote Originally Posted by ar0e View Post
    When should I eat in regards to my strength training routine? I do 20 mins of kettlebells 3-4 days a week. It's hard to wrap my head around some of this, I come from a low cal, low fat, chronic cardio background, and it's hard to not just revert back to my old ways sometimes.
    I'd prioritize getting the stress levels down first. Sounds like you're putting a lot of thought into minutiae. The most progress will come from following the 10 PB laws, not worrying about nutrient timing and other small details. Unless you have some really specific and tough goals (like making weight for an athletic competition, or becoming an international undertrousers model), ignore my comments above about timing your fasting/feeding around vigorous exercise.

  9. #9
    ar0e's Avatar
    ar0e is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I'd prioritize getting the stress levels down first. Sounds like you're putting a lot of thought into minutiae. The most progress will come from following the 10 PB laws, not worrying about nutrient timing and other small details. Unless you have some really specific and tough goals (like making weight for an athletic competition, or becoming an international undertrousers model), ignore my comments above about timing your fasting/feeding around vigorous exercise.
    Excellent point. I do tend to get a bit obsessive with small details sometimes. I gotta get those 10 PB laws tattooed on my forearm or something. I am trying to get in better shape before I go on a tropical vacation in about 9 weeks, I know I can't lose TONS of weight in that time, but I do want to make sure I'm being as effective as possible in that time. Just want to feel better in my bikini

  10. #10
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    4,044
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ar0e View Post
    Sort of since I do have some carbs with breakfast, usually a half of a sweet potato. My thought process was the my walks would burn the carbs from the sweet potato before it would burn fat. Is this not how it works?
    Not exactly! When walking and other low intensity activities, the body uses free fatty acids from your blood for energy and this comes either from stored bodyfat or from incoming food(=bulletproof). A very little glucose is used by the brain and this comes either from stored glycogen or from incoming food(sweet potato). So, when walking you are almost exclusively using fat and if the fat from your bulletproof coffee does not reach the bloodstream fast enough, your body uses stored bodyfat for energy and put back the fat from the bulletproof coffee into the fat depots later on! The glucose from the sweet potato will be used to rebuild glycogen in liver and muscles, and this is especially the case in the morning. It's a stubborn pseudoscientific myth that the body always prefer to burn the glucose before fat, it doesent work that way at all...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •