Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower (carb) the better (for me) page

FireFinder is offline Senior Member

Lower (carb) the better (for me)

Primal Fuel
    I understand that Primal is not a low carb diet. I also understand about myself that I seem to feel, look, sleep, better if I keep my carbs low- meaning, eat eggs, veg, high quality meat and fat. Little dairy and nuts, and pretty much no fruit, and no starch.

When I do eat these things, I seem to get bloated, indigestion, and more than anything crazy cravings for sugar, sweets, carbs. I also have (more of) a tendency toward binging.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this tendency in themselves? Is this in my head? Or is there really something to it?

Dignan is offline Junior Member
    I am just getting started (again) and I am taking the same approach except with some dairy (a cup of greek yogurt mixed with a cup of whole milk in a protein shake a couple of times each week).

Eventually, once I hit my goal weight (or body composition, I should really say, since my goal weight is creeping up as I add muscle) and maintain it for a while I will loosen things up a bit and throw in more high-quality carbs like sweet potatoes, root veggies, quinona, and brown/wild rice. But for now, I find it easier to stick to a very narrow plan - from the perspective of both controlling hunger and not giving giving myself an inch that turns into a mile.

I'm sure a lot of other people have the necessary willpower to give themselves more leeway to have a little of this and a little of that without going overboard, but I just don't, and so for me clear thick dark lines are the best.

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    I don't crave much now, I do like the sweet taste of fruit, so apples and a bit of pinapple is my help here. I also put honey on Greek yogurt. None of these have slowed my weight loss down at all. As I am, I lose a 1lb a week but I seem to live on a lot less calories than I did on the SAD way of life. 2000 cals is a lot for me in a day and rare..I probably eat 1800 on avaerage in a day as I don't ever feel overly hungry.

I don't go out of my way to eat fat but cook most things in butter and drink full fat milk

Carb wise I probably have less than 100g a day

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I think we all have to figure out what carb level is best for us. I spent my life morbidly obese--until I discovered that I am extremely sensitive to carbs--anything over 25g will stimulate my appetite and store fat like mad. On 20g a day or less, I've lost close to 200 lbs and am at a 'normal' weight for the first time in my life.

What's more significant is that having eaten very low carb for years, all my lab work is 'ideal' according to my doctors. This WOE obviously agrees with my body.

But I would never tell anyone else to eat as I do. Each person has to find a carb level that is optimum for that person.

Paleobird Guest

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Yes this is me too
    If it works for you, then go with it. Remember you do not need carbs to survive. Your body is perfectly happy running on fats. Good ones of course.
    Agree with PB about the above book too. Ignore the posters that will come and tell you that you must have them.
    Good luck with it all

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFinder View Post
    I seem to feel, look, sleep, better if I keep my carbs low- meaning, eat eggs, veg, high quality meat and fat. Little dairy and nuts, and pretty much no fruit, and no starch...Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this tendency in themselves?
    Tons of us. Absolutely tons. A huge percentage. Primal/Paleo absolutely CAN BE a low carbohydrate diet. Forget about dogma, do what makes you feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird
    This book has inspired me. I don't say things like that lightly.

Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life: Nora T. Gedgaudas: 9781594774133: Amazon.com: Books
    True that. One of the classics.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    I completely agree and feel fantastic on under 50 carbs a day, all coming from veggies. Super energy, great mood.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Tons of us. Absolutely tons. A huge percentage. Primal/Paleo absolutely CAN BE a low carbohydrate diet. Forget about dogma, do what makes you feel good.
    I think it's time we got over being apologetic about doing what we know feels right. No, Primal doesn't HAVE to be low carb, but it can be. What bugs me is the people saying, "Well I guess low carb could be used if you have a serious medical condition but I don't really think it's healthy long term". OK, first of all I have yet to see anything resembling proof of that while there are rigorously conducted studies of thousands of patients on keto for years and decades with ZERO adverse effects. I would eat this way even if I didn't have epilepsy. I don't have to justify that to anyone.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Another unapologetic HFLC Primal here.

Yes, I have really tried to do it other ways.
    It did not work at all for me for various reasons.

We all need to pay attention to what works for us as individuals.
    If at some point I think it's not working for me... I'll change.
    This isn't some sort of dogma, it's my health.
    I'm not "carb phobic" in the least as some have stated around these forums.
    I sometimes have treats of higher carb items I really enjoy like sweet plantains, but for my overall health and function I know that I need to moderate them to less often.

N=1 is valid.
    It's valid for HFLC just like it's valid for those who chose LFHC, or the down the middle approach.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast