Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lower (carb) the better (for me) page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Yep, when you can't assail the science, you label the individuals as dogmatic, carb-phobic, eating disordered, etc. Or just the vague generalities like, "Well everybody knows that having some of every type of food is better than limiting your options." WHY?

To me the question is not, "Why not eat carbs?" but "Why should I?" I'm not limiting my horizons, I'm making room on my plate for more of the stuff that I prefer.

amen...i always love your posts, paleobird..
    i do miss & crave fruit, but i stay away from it..same with wine, but i DO plan on adding wine back in maybe once a week or so after my whole 30, simply bc im tired of being the only sober person when we go places & wine is by far one of my all time favorite things..ever..life is just over all better with it & i'm tired of being without.. i guess i figure even though the wine probably isnt as good for me as the fruit would be, i know i'll enjoy it more..& one of my main goals for 2013 is to quit trying to be so perfect (diet & body image wise) & be happy with how far i've come & how much healthier i am now. in a way i'm lucky bc i dont care of many squashs other than spaghetti squash or starches, & i cant stand sweet potatos. i get tired of defending myself & "my ways" too...almost as tired as i am of letting this whole "way of living" take over my whole freaking life. i've been low carb/primal for almost 3 years & i'm to the point where its not a diet or something that i should have to explain or justify..its what i like to eat, & i continue to do it bc it makes me feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I think it's time we got over being apologetic about doing what we know feels right. No, Primal doesn't HAVE to be low carb, but it can be. What bugs me is the people saying, "Well I guess low carb could be used if you have a serious medical condition but I don't really think it's healthy long term". OK, first of all I have yet to see anything resembling proof of that while there are rigorously conducted studies of thousands of patients on keto for years and decades with ZERO adverse effects. I would eat this way even if I didn't have epilepsy. I don't have to justify that to anyone.

Dignan is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ashley.thepie.rat View Post
    i DO plan on adding wine back in maybe once a week or so after my whole 30, simply bc im tired of being the only sober person when we go places & wine is by far one of my all time favorite things..ever..life is just over all better with it & i'm tired of being without..
    Dry red wine has been my one cheat, and will remain so as long as I keep making progress.

Last year, when I first attempted to run with the Primal lifestyle (and succeeded for about 4 months), I picked up a glucose meter and obsessively tested/measured the impact of different foods. One evening I drank a whole bottle of red wine (For Science!) and it did not change my glucose readings at all.

YMMV of course.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
    Dry red wine has been my one cheat, and will remain so as long as I keep making progress.

Last year, when I first attempted to run with the Primal lifestyle (and succeeded for about 4 months), I picked up a glucose meter and obsessively tested/measured the impact of different foods. One evening I drank a whole bottle of red wine (For Science!) and it did not change my glucose readings at all.

YMMV of course.
    LOL. I like to have a glass or two of dry red wine for science every night. If I keep my overall carbs low enough, it doesn't seem to stop my weight loss.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

YMMV of course.
    I plan on getting a glucose meter soon too..do you mind me asking which brand you got? I'm glad someone mentioned the meters bc I was just thinking "I need to google those & see what the "normal" ranges are"

Paleobird Guest
    YMMV of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    LOL. I like to have a glass or two of dry red wine for science every night. If I keep my overall carbs low enough, it doesn't seem to stop my weight loss.
    I used to like my Pinot Noir but I've given it up and I feel a lot better without it (even if it was only an occasional treat). The problem with alcohol is that the liver metabolizes it differently from other carbs or general calories. Alcohol is treated as a toxin and so is bumped to the head of the line for breakdown and clearing out by your liver. While it is doing that, however, the other things you ate (like your dinner) get put into storage (i.e.the thighs).

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I'm looking forward to reading this. I have to download the kindle app. Then download the book.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Ah, a voice of reason.

Nutrition is about what works for you. Some people do VERY well on a high carb diet. On the other hand, some people do much better on a lower carb intake.

Eat and let them eat (real food), am I right?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Ah, a voice of reason.

Nutrition is about what works for you. Some people do VERY well on a high carb diet. On the other hand, some people do much better on a lower carb intake.

Eat and let them eat (real food), am I right?
    Real food for everyone...
    Macros are, and always will be, individual.

Amen!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12