Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kris' Place for Primal rantings because everyone else thinks she's nuts page 4

Kris C is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My sister posted again on FB that the kids are sick. They are always sick. Since both were babies they've suffered nasty colds, ear infections frequently, fevers, some sorts of illness. The nephew, he's 7 now, suffered allergies bad enough to have his tonsils and adenoids removed at age 5 or 6. The thing is, he isn't severely allergic to any one thing, just a bit to dust, molds, pollens, the dog and cat. But on top of each other, the kid couldn't breathe, constant sinus infections, he snorted as a way to clear his nose. He also has skin sensitivities. His sister, my beautiful niece, age 3, is also always sick with ear infections and colds and fevers. This year both kids had the flu twice! And today both have tummy issues. Oh, and the niece is speech delayed though she's very smart and can hear perfectly well (we think; she understands everything she's told).

My sister works in a pediatric office (medical biller) and so believes anything and everything the doc tells her. Antibiotics for everything. Take this med or that. Remove body parts to solve the problem. I am so sad for these kids. I can't imagine being sick and miserable so often. My own kids rarely get sick. I wonder what the issue is in their house?

I want to say, Try a change in diet, but my own kids don't follow my way of eating so that's not exactly an example of why diet changes work. She usually does keep homemade meals in the house; that's what the kids eat for dinner and lunch. I'm not sure what breakfasts were. I think fruit or waffles or nutri-grain bars or other such things. Or maybe she's gone from the better foods to more prepared and boxed foods. But this has been going on from nearly Day 1. And nursing doesn't seem to have made a huge difference. The nephew was a formula baby (he is the one with more illness issues) but the niece was nursed. Admittedly, the niece doesn't get sick as often or have as many issues.

Writing that made me think about the nephew and his behavior. He is loud and knows no other way. He is all over the place, constantly moving and needing attention. He throws fits. The kid does not know calm. His sister is quieter but not by much. And my brother in law, well that's a whole 'nother train wreck. He's an alcoholic with no patience (he doesn't get violent though I fear one day he might snap), no confidence, and serious anxiety and depression issues. My sister is one strong woman.

I don't know if a change in diet would help any of their issues. Medications certainly haven't. The kids keep getting sick, the BIL has tried many and none work. (Of course, the alcohol isn't helping any.) I just hate seeing the constant stream of FB posts about sick kids and telephone conversations about how the BIL isn't doing well. We truly do not like going to visit them at their house because it's just chaos. And the one time they came to visit us here (so far), well, it wasn't crazy but my sister was certainly unhappy. And my own husband ended up being the de facto dad while my sis an I were out for our brief times out without her husband and kids.

Truly a mess. Felt good to vent that.
    Starting weight: 168 lbs
    Current weight: 168 lbs
    Goal weight: whatever makes me look strong and healthy!

Current goal: No More Muffin Top!!
    a real pushup, a real pull-up, weekly sprints

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

Day 4 of my personal Whole30 Primal Style! I have been tracking on My Fitness Pal so I can see where my macronutrients are falling. My carbs have been 30-75g (yesterday I had white rice and I likely will have a bit as well tonight with leftovers), my fats around 75-115g, and protein between 80 and 130. I feel like I need to be more consistent but maybe I don't. Maybe it's all about the average over time. I know in my head that one day doesn't make or break anything in this journey.

I am feeling great though. I've been conscious of what I am putting into my body. Soon enough the physical changes will happen. The workouts will begin to show as well. I've been slower on beginning those again, but I think that's a weather thing. Once it's warmer outside I will be more motivated to get out and go. I hate the cold, I hate feeling cold, I don't even like feeling chilly. I do need ot get going on the yoga, however. I have no excuse on that since that's not an outside thing for me. All other workouts (walks, sprints, runs) are outdoors. Even burpees and pushups are things I do in the backyard, though truly I should be able to do it inside, like I do with squats or pushups against the stairs.

Rereading that, I have this to say: STOP MAKING EXCUSES!!!!! Get your ass in gear and get to it! Do I choose excuses and Alzheimers and disease? Or do I choose a great life, looking fit and strong, feeling amazing? I like option #2. So GET MOVING!!!

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

Day 6 of Whole30 PrimalStyle! I am feeling good, but I think I have failed. I had some chocolate chips. Do I begin again or just move on? It's not like I plan on stopping PrimalStyle so maybe just continue on.

I am desperately waiting for the warm weather to get here. At least another week of cool temps in store and I am over it! I want some warmth so I actually feel motivated to get outside for a long walk. I sooooo want to move to Hawaii. We talked this week about the possibility of going back to Germany. In some respects that's good. The money would be helpful, we'd have a house on base right away, I did love what the kids and I called "the Nature Trail." I enjoyed walking to the commissary for the quick pick-ups during the week. And the European food is better. And the travel!! OTOH, it is cold and gray often, especially all winter. That really does affect my mood. Though I would know what to expect this time around so could better prepare (good coats and boots, sweaters, preparing my outlook). The kids would be happy, they'd have great schools, and they are already talking about the bike rides, walks, and other fun stuff on base and off. I think I would really want Germany over DC. Hopefully the Husband has gotten answers to some questions today. I still hold out hope for Hawaii. Tampa is my #2. And Guam was mentioned but I think that's a long shot.

The Girl is getting braces, plus she just had a few cavities diagnosed. I am hoping I can convince the family to cut back on the sugar and the foods that get stuck to teeth easily (Hello, Cheez-Its, cookies, crackers, candy) so we can avoid more teeth issues in the future. 3 kids and their co-pays will cost a lot. And fillings aren't the answer. The answer is to NOT get cavities to begin with. Braces will certainly discourage these foods. I don't want to pay for ruined braces and teeth just because the kids didn't listen to the dentist.

But again, it's my Primal journey and the results I am working toward showing off that just might get them (or specifically, the Husband) to switch. If, with minimal exercise and a Primal way of eating, I can show off a body and mind that is in great shape, I might be able to make a real case for Primal.

It's Friday. I will have no wine today, and it's been a week since I've had a cigarette. I can do this!

It's been a little while since I've written. I have had to restart my personal Whole30 Primal style. But there's better news on that front. The Husband asked yesterday about Primal eating, what can he have, not have, etc. He is inclined to cut back drastically on grains and sugar! I probably shouldn't have too high of expectations because he has so much going on it will be easier for him to just grab a slice of pizza or sandwich at work. And this morning it was oatmeal. Maybe if I offer to make him eggs in the morning I can help his breakfast. I'll need more cheese to make him an omelet. Maybe I can find a decent sausage and make a meat/cheese/egg concoction. I don't see more veggies in his near future but this is a start. And he's subject to my dinners, as has been the case forever, so that's Primal always. Except when he decides to do a fast food night. But at least he's more receptive to the idea. I hope he's serious.

So, Spring Break came and went and I ate terribly. I am done with being guilted into eating crap when traveling. For next month's road trip I will just do an IF. I will eat big and well the day before, and I will do the same on the way back. I just hate when there's only a microwave and tiny fridge in the room. I much prefer when we get the 1BR with the kitchen and laundry. Maybe he'll agree to upgrade this time. It will certainly save $$ for breakfast and dinner.

I began (again) the Couch to 5K program. Not chronic cardio, just trying to get to where I can run a respectable distance. I enjoy having the reason to be outside in the sun and warm. The weather has finally gotten nice. I have open windows (!) and no need for a coat.

I have paid more attention to what my so-called trigger foods are. I can ignore the kids' Cheez-Its and graham crackers and crap. I can ignore pizza since they always get chain pizza (and there's no good local pizza). My problem is bagels with cream cheese or a roast beef sandwich. I love the bread. I havent' had a bagel in a long time, but this trip I had sandwiches. I did eat chicken caesar salads too but I love a Philly Steak. On the roll! And cake!!! Though I usually can avoid cake. And chocolate chip cookies. But at Disney I love to indulge in a piece of chocolate mousse cake (after my salad).

Awareness. That's the key for me!

I got pull-up bands!! What an awesome invention. I was a bit nervous using it at first, wondering if it would hold my weight (I am using the green one) but it's just fine. I feel like I can maybe conquer pull-ups now. I know it will be a while until I can do one unassisted but I have to start somewhere. Mark's chair assist method wasn't working out for me. And the Little Guy loves it too!

I am also starting Couch to 5K again. By mid-June, I should be up to a full 30 minutes running. I will stay with that time and increase my speed/distance over 30 minutes before I move on to any other distance (10K or 15K). I would like to eventually get to 13.1 miles but I am not going to rush anything, nor am I going to run further.

I am doing better with my food choices. I am certain I can reach my weight/fat loss goal by August if I keep up with running and a Crossfit-style workout 2 or 3 times a week. The weather has turned mostly nice (warmer temps!) so I want to get outside and go!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234