Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kris' Place for Primal rantings because everyone else thinks she's nuts page 3

cmjg7517 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I hope things get better and he comes around! My boyfriend loves starting his day off with Eggos, PB, and bananas! LOL.. he gladly eats the meals I cooked though, and just tops it off with SAD food.. his lunch was leftover coconut chicken, kale, and squash (all Primal).. then he topped it off with some Dr. Pepper and Cheetos. Gross! LOL, but he weighs 160 pounds soaking wet, so I can't complain!

You're so lucky to live in Charleston-- Savannah is a ghetto version of it. Are y'all Navy? The Sailor (as I refer to him) is a submarine officer and we are doing shore duty here while he teaches ROTC at Savannah State.. We came from Hawaii and are definitely missing it.

Good luck to you and your endeavors turning your hubby from the dark side! I find my Primal meals I cook and serve him work best when I don't even explain its Primal. Usually he doesn't even notice the grains or sugar are missing.

ETA: I'm taking a Whole 30 approach for the time being and cutting out fruits, dairy, and nuts for the month, trying to get cravings and binging under control. Being vocal with my goals helps me from falling face first into frozen yogurt, so I hear you on that.
    Last edited by cmjg7517; 03-04-2013 at 06:46 PM.
    5'4/125

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmjg7517 View Post
    Good luck to you and your endeavors turning your hubby from the dark side! I find my Primal meals I cook and serve him work best when I don't even explain its Primal. Usually he doesn't even notice the grains or sugar are missing.
    Hi Kris, I've read your journal with interest and endorse the comments above. Gently does it when trying to convert other people, even kids, but especially husbands. A little sneakiness and a lot of patience are required.

Meanwhile you will go on getting more and more benefits from primal way of eating. Congratulations to you, but do try not to brag about them (except on here) because your husband may dig his heels in even more in order not to feel left behind.

Good luck.

cmjg7517 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Hi Kris, I've read your journal with interest and endorse the comments above. Gently does it when trying to convert other people, even kids, but especially husbands. A little sneakiness and a lot of patience are required.

Meanwhile you will go on getting more and more benefits from primal way of eating. Congratulations to you, but do try not to brag about them (except on here) because your husband may dig his heels in even more in order not to feel left behind.

Good luck.
    Agreed. I don't have kids of my own, but sometimes I think it might be easier to turn them onto Primal than SOs.. sometimes they are so stuck in their conventional ways!
    5'4/125

FreeBelle is offline Member
    Hi. Good luck with your journey! Hopefully your husband will see your amazing results and change his mind.

We're in this together...here on this forum:-)

Kris C is offline Senior Member
    CMJG, the husband is Air Force. Hawaii is my dream, though I have to think of the kids at this point. Not sure if it would be wise to move them there with the school issues. But I wouldn't turn it down if told to go. I am not a big fan of Chucktown. Downtown is nice but that's about it, imo. A bit more than a year to go, but I fear DC is next. Ugh.

Hi Annie and Freebelle!

I gave up talking to the husband about Primal a while ago. It's not worth the time and aggravation. I will talk to the kids but I have to accept they will still want their grains because they are allowed in the house. I just have to remind myself I can't control everything, so I will concentrate on what I can control.

Tonight's dinner? Salmon, roasted potatoes, and asparagus! YUM!
    Starting weight: 168 lbs
    Current weight: 168 lbs
    Goal weight: whatever makes me look strong and healthy!

Current goal: No More Muffin Top!!
    a real pushup, a real pull-up, weekly sprints

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Yum, indeed. You're certain to win them over with meals like that. And if not, then all the more for you!

You'll know they're getting it when leftovers mysteriously vanish from the fridge before you can eat them yourself.

Day 3 of being 90% sugar-free. It's a bit difficult because I really do miss chocolate in mass quantities but I know I shouldn't have so much. Sunday I had a half-handful of chocolate chips (helps that I have small hands!), Monday I had one mini sized Twix bar (it was stale so I tossed half of it) and one quarter of a chocolate chip cookie (kryptonite!) at Publix. I think I can do this.

I need to make a great homemade Caesar dressing. I've never had luck with this so I will make a small batch. Or maybe I will stick with the primal/paleo ranch. I bought some Greenwise sirloins at Publix last night and I want to make a steak caesar salad.

I played last night! I was with the boys and we just threw the basketball in over and over. Nothing particularly strenuous but I did make it a point to jump and run after any rebounds or missed shots. It was more about the time with the boys and the laughter and fun we had (as is the whole point of play, isn't it). I need to find something active the Girl would like to do. Maybe she'd be up for just going for walks.

Much too often the Husband is brining home treats for the kids. They are getting into the habit of asking and then getting them. Sodas, candy, those are the requested items. The bag of Twix from last night arrived at home around 7:15 and was gone this morning! Seriously. I can't take it. I did buy cantaloupe for the Girl and she ate most of it almost right away. I am fine with that. I will not deny them sugars from fruit or veggies. But sugar and shit from soda and candy?? I had already resigned to the fact that Cheez-Its and Wheat Thins would be in the house, as well as frozen pizza and ice cream (I at least try to keep the ice cream to Ben and Jerry's or Breyers, better but not ideal, and with the natural ingredients) but I am disgusted by the soda and candy habit that's forming. I had gotten the kids off the juice habit (i'd buy 4 bottles of Juicy Juice and they'd be gone in 2 days). Water only, or organic chocolate milk on occasion. I was okay when they'd have soda if we went out because it was that occasional treat. At least I still have control of dinner.

Sadly, this makes me a bit resentful toward the husband. He insulted me the other night without realizing it (and I let it go then) but this just adds to it. Maybe it makes us even in the "feeling superior" arena. I eat better and smarter, he can live anywhere happily.

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

I am going to try a caesar dressing recipe, then grill up a steak and make a salad. Who wouldn't want that as part of a healthy diet?? Yeah...

The husband's big 4-0 is coming later this month. I decided to make our favorite indulgent dessert (a chocolate souffle from a cruise we've been on) so I need to prepare myself for that. And I want to make his favorite meal so I have to willingly make pasta. No pasta for me, just the chicken and sauce. That's probably really good with a salad as well.

Okay, I've vented that out so I will be in a good, happy mood. One day at a time to a truly happy and satisfied Kris.

I've decided to track my food again for a while at My Fitness Pal. I want to keep an eye on my macros for a bit. I also need to keep myself accountable for what I am eating. Okay, that really means, the junk food I've allowed to creep back in. I have dresses I want to wear soon as the weather is warming up and I need to lose the fat!!

I feel like getting out and doing (moving, working out) more now. The sun is up later, the temps are rising (I read that we've been below normal here for quite a while) to a level I prefer, the leaves are starting to come out on the trees. I am definitely a weather/climate dependent person. Late spring to early autumn is my time; yes, even the dead of summer makes me happy. Now, if only I could get back to Tampa soon, or preferably somewhere in Hawaii.

Feeling frustrated (still) about the junk food in the house. I wanted to take cash today to buy some foods we need: salad, eggs, bacon, chicken, rice, butter at the very least. I don't have it. Why? Because too much has been spent on the kids' requested soda and candy and cookies. I need to talk to the husband and kids and ask that they stop this. $20 over a few days buys instant gratification that is gone and forgotten in no time. OR $20 can buy us 18 eggs (I know, just supermarket eggs but budget is a huge issue), butter, bacon, rice, and chicken breasts, or even the whole chicken, and salad. And we eat for days.

A big grocery shopping is in store for the weekend. I know they will spend too much on crackers, snack cakes (worse than crackers, IMO), and other assorted junk (pizza rolls, anyone?). I will be sure to load up on meat, eggs, bacon, veggies, butter, rice, parmesan, and perhaps some pistachios. I don't mind eating the same things over and over, makes life simple. Oooh, I forgot fish; shrimp, salmon, see what's on sale this week.

Spring is almost here!!! A Happy Kris will be fully emerged in no time!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Day Two into my Whole30 Primal Style challenge. On Saturday, the day before Day 1, I ate poorly. Not sure why I justified it but I did. Donuts, Zaxby's, Pepsi, my favorite Publix roast beef sandwich, M&Ms. Then on Sunday, I began my personal challenge. I ate really well! Eggs and bacon for a late breakfast. Worked in the garden all afternoon (about 3-4 hours total) weeding and moving rocks out. Using rakes and shovels. Enjoyed thoroughly the warm temps (in the 70s) and the sunshine. I felt awesome. Dinner after my shower was shrimp, alfredo (not 100% primal but the best I could do at the moment, file that under 20% even though I didn't want to be less than 100%), spinach, and tomatoes. So fucking good!!! I had a bit of Green and Black's organic dark chocolate (70%?).

This morning I had a headache. I sort of expected it. I know I haven't been more than 60% Primal in the past 4-6 months. Too many M&Ms, too much alcohol (white wine, mostly), too many Publix roast beef sandwiches, too many fast food allowances out of convenience for the family. Not daily, not even every few days, but too often and it does make a difference overall.

Today I ate eggs and bacon for breakfast. For lunch (I was hungry) I had tuna with mayo (Hellman's; again, not Primal; I need to make my own) on arugula (organic! as has been the spinach) with cherry tomatoes. Dinner will likely be the same as last night.

Already planning for tomorrow. Same breakfast. Not sure about lunch but likely a salad with maybe sardines. Dinner will be a Primal chicken francese with aspragus and maybe rice (I'll take a small rice serving). I am hoping almond flour will taste good with some seasonings, the way regular bread crumbs would. I hope I end up with leftovers! Sometimes the kids love what I make so much I end up with nothing left, especially when I want more later.

Maybe later this week will be salmon. I have a full fridge. Oh, and I am planting my veggie garden. So far I have organic seeds for cucumbers, tomatoes, string beans (loved eating them off the plant when I was a kid!), carrots, and chives. I want to get lettuce and peppers. Maybe cherry tomatoes. And maybe some watermelon or cantaloupe for the Girl. This will be a real experiment since I've never done this before. And small. I am not going to have a huge garden and have it not work out. One step at a time.

As usual, the family picked out crap on grocery day. Muffins (a whole 12 pack for the Girl), crackers and cookies, Stouffer's meals for the Husband to bring to work, frozen pizza. I figure if they want the junk, at least let me homemake/bake it. Then it will be without preservatives and other odd ingredients and corn syrup and artificial colors and flavors. And maybe I could even find Primal/Paleo recipes for some of these things that are close enough to how they'd like it to taste. I already make a Paleo-ish chocolate coconut muffin they love. I think there's a cracker recipe here on MDA. I would keep chocolate chips cookies regular because the Paleo-ish ones I've attempted are just not good.

On the other hand, I loaded up with meats and fish and veggies (fresh and frozen) and Kerrygold butter and other goodness. I will do the 30 days and KICK ASS!!! Primal will become a habit again, the sweet cravings will be at bay, my skin will clear and brighten again, I will have more energy for longer walks, occasional runs, and yoga. I will lose fat and look awesome! I will be ready for the summer dresses hanging in the closet. Truth be told, I don't even need a long time for those. If I stay with the plan, I can probably be in them in about 6 weeks. The other goal dress within 12 weeks.

Long term goal: fit into a size 8 (6 if I'm lucky) by end of summer. I am a 12 now. I may be able to readjust to mid-summer if all goes well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast