Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kris' Place for Primal rantings because everyone else thinks she's nuts page 2

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Just found your journal, good stuff! Best wishes on getting the family primal. I'm looking forward to hearing about your journey.

You have probably tried this, but I'll throw it out anyway - maybe your son will eat raw red or orange or yellow peppers? Seems like a lot of kids will eat those when they won't eat any other veg, they're so crunchy and sweet.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Kris C is offline Senior Member
    How nice to see people visiting and leaving comments! Hello, NarcoJenn, Stratford Man, and Siobhan! My husband is just fine with me cooking Primally for dinner, and he will eat it without complaint. Well, he does complain about the amount of steak but other than that, as long as I cooked it, he'll eat it. Oh, and he doesn't really like veggies; only green beans, corn (um, Love, that's a grain), maybe steamed carrots. Now, I do sometimes make mashed potatoes (homemade!) or white rice.

Right now I am watching Dr Oz while prepping dinner. He's talking about the HCG diet. I can't believe people do this! I have a friend who did it, and she and her husband lost weight, but once they stopped with the injections the weight came back quickly. Shocking, I know! It's a lifestyle, people! It's not a long term solution! If you truly want health and to not be fat, change your life forever, not for a few months. And change your mindset.

I've decided to say Screw It to my family (really, just the Husband) and eat how I need to eat for optimal health and wellness. It's not going to be easy but I need to do this for myself. I miss M&M's and I miss Publix roast beef sandwiches, but I don't miss the yeast infections that come along with those things. Or the headaches I get trying to give it all up again. I want to live healthy and for a long time. I want to be the active old person who gets around easily then drops dead when it's time. I don't want to be dependent on medications or doctor's appointments or surgeries.

Dr Oz, GO AWAY!!
    Starting weight: 168 lbs
    Current weight: 168 lbs
    Goal weight: whatever makes me look strong and healthy!

Current goal: No More Muffin Top!!
    a real pushup, a real pull-up, weekly sprints

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

Primal Victory! A friend, T, sent me a FB message asking about Paleo. I directed her to PB. She was incredibly interested. I didn't know she had been battling weight issues and feeling blah. She runs, not marathon crazy running, but she, like the Husband, just likes running, but the pounds aren't budging like they once did. I know that's not the entire point of PB but it does matter for self-esteem and confidence. She's tried WW, Jenny, counting calories, etc, and her husband is kinda tired of hearing about which new "diet" she's trying this time. I told her to just eat following the PB grocery list, to not call it a diet, to just eat that way. And if she cooks for the family, they probably won't notice the missing pasta and bread and other no-nos. I don't know how often they eat out (fast food in particular) so that might be harder for her. Anyway, I am so excited! She said she's going to ask me tons of questions; I am ready! I also told her about my bloodwork, trying to also emphasize the other important part of changing a diet. I mentioned my trig levels before/after, my pre-diabetes diagnosis that is now gone. I know she's thinking weight but health is a huge thing as well. It is for me.

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

Today's post by Mark was perfect for me. Sleep hasn't been a real issue; it was the second post. I am always cold and sometimes my feet and hands are absolutely frozen. I've wondered about it for a while. I assumed my addiction to chomping ice cubes was the issue, and certainly that's part of it. That's kind of a no-brainer there. But the mention of salt and magnesium was what got me. I know when I've lacked salt (read about that a while back in a post by Robb Wolf). My feet tend to cramp when I don't have enough salt. It's likely, when I fell off my old 90% Primal eating, that too much water diluted what was already in my system. But even now, certainly the water issue is prevalent, but also possibly magnesium (that's partly from the first post, partly from the types of food mentioned at the hypothyroidism). I will watch these two things carefully, starting with cutting back my water consumption. Definitely when I am subbing and I can't drink water all day I am not as cold.

The Girl told us today that she is suffering from frequent headaches. We are starting with having her drink more water since we don't think she gets enough, especially at school. If that doesn't prove to be the issue, I am going to insist on changing diet. Both she and the Sweet Boy are getting headaches often. They (and the Little Guy) eat crap: Cheez-Its, cereal, waffles, bread, pizza, anything CW/SAD. They have no other issues; no typical allergies, no learning problems, nothing atypical. But headaches, especially among kids so young (ages 10 and 12), should not be a problem but yet, they are. Is it possible I can get the whole family to join me in the path to optimal health?? It won't be easy but even if I can change the at-home habits it will be better than where we are now.

Big grocery shopping day is coming up and I will plan out some great Primal delicious meals that the whole family will enjoy. I hope.

Trying to stick to Primal is harder this time around. I don't know why. It's frustrating. I know Primal, I love it, I talk about it, but it's harder to stay with the goals. Maybe it's depression. I can eat well but I've gotten lazy. Maybe I am just tired of coming up with meal ideas and cooking. I definitely need to move more.

I also believe Primal is about being happy in all you do, whether workout or job or family or location. I am unhappy. I don't like where I live but I don't see us moving to where I want to be for a long time. Even my ideal location is out of the question. I want a career that makes me happy but I can't do anything about it right now. The education part of it would make it easier but I can't afford that right now. And sub teaching isn't very lucrative or steady. I don't need $$ lucrative, I need happiness and fulfillment and I am not having that right now.

I need a good talk with the Husband. Something more concrete that meets both our needs.

I had a good talk with the Husband last night. While right now we can't dictate where we live or for how long, we have agreed that we will try to get home to Tampa next and stay as long as possible. That's helpful to me in order to begin my own career. Now I know it's not all about him all the time in his mind. My own feelings of happiness and fulfillment and contentment will help our marriage and family be stronger. That's good!

The Sweet Boy told me this morning that he wasn't very hungry at lunch yesterday. Why? Because he ate eggs, spinach, and feta for breakfast and still felt full-ish. He did eat, he got the fish nuggets (not the salad he thought he would get) so not the best choice, but not completely horrible. The food at the boys' school is pretty decent; they grow their own salad and lunch veggie garden which is AWESOME. Yes, the other main dishes are pre-done, district provided but they've made an effort to make it better than average. The breadings on the fish nuggets or chicken strips are thin, the fish and chicken are a better quality in response to past parent complaints (though still not fantastic; take what you can get, right?), and the Boy doesn't mind eating veggies. The mashed potatoes are made in the cafeteria though they put gravy on them (he scrapes off the gravy layer).

Anyway, he had that for lunch but not all of it. Then for dinner he made mac and cheese from a box (yuck) but ate little of it. Again, he said he wasn't particularly hungry because he had eaten well during the day. And no cookies or crackers or junk after school. Best part? NO HEADACHE! So again this morning he chose to eat eggs and spinach. We'll keep going with this. I am so happy and so is he! Getting one kid on board make it so that I must make good dinners each evening, no excuses. In turn, it makes eating Primal much easier for me. Win-win!

Now, to get the family on board with a future move to one of the Hawaiian islands...I dream of constant warm, mostly sunny days (note to self: research the island for the correct local geography for the sunnier area) with nearby beaches and hiking/running trails in a neighborhood with people I would like to get to know so I am more motivated to spend more time outdoors in the sun, moving often. This dream may not happen for a good long time, not until the kids are all out of school, but I will keep working toward it anyway.

Gotta get my mindset in gear. I will say no and mean it. No more taking the "easier for the family" way out. I will make more salads, actually I will prep a large salad bowl that is easy to just take from so I have no excuse. If grocery shopping with the family, I will put back any "foods" that are tempting to me to eat in mass quantities (goodbye, M&Ms). I will buy ingredients to make my own food instead of having to check every label and getting upset when finding HFCS or unpronounceable things in prepared items.

I will stop the eye-rolling when the husband picks out his frozen pizzas or chips or Hamburger Helper. It does nothing but cause tension and makes me seems like a snobby bitch. However, I will continue to talk with the kids about the benefits of real food versus packaged foods. I will stop talking so poorly about their oatmeal or bread; it makes them feel bad and I should never, as their mom, make them feel guilty about food choices. That leads to them having a food complex. However, I will continue to educate them on the benefits of questioning what others tell them (yes, even question me because I am not perfect nor do I know all). And I will encourage them to eat more like I try to eat (well, the good foods).

I have made a number of terrible food decisions over the past 6 months or so and it has affected me. I feel guilty about eating non-Primally which causes me to eat more of those things (especially "treats"). I have gained fat and pounds. Why is it so hard to do the right thing, food-wise? Probably if I read the recent articles about what food companies do to our food supply to make us crave and need more of what they sell, I would understand more. Ultimately it comes down to ME! I hold the power over what I put into my body; I can make the right decisions. I have the responsibility to do so.

I have felt fat and gross over the past week and I have no one to blame but me. Today I take back my health and wellness. I will write a plan, I will follow the plan, and I will become a true success story.

I've had my first real illness in about 2 years. Achy, sore, fever, tired, run down, just felt awful. It started coming on Friday and after work I laid down on the couch for a nap. I felt achy but just thought it was because I couldn't get a good nap before the hockey game. Then before the game we went to dinner at 5 Guys and I didn't even want my usual bunless burger. I had maybe 6 fries. That should have been a clue. Saturday was an iffy day as well. I was tired so just laid down all day on the couch with a couple of brief naps. I felt lazy and guilty. But by Sunday I got why I was feeling that way. By noon I was a goner. Even before at the commissary the cashier told me I needed lipstick because I had no color in my lips (love the Filipino ladies!). My regular temp is a bit low (97.something versus the "normal" 98.6) so when my fever was near 102, that's the equivalent of 103 for others, and I truly felt it.

So, the husband told me to go see the doc. I asked why?? Seriously, what's a doctor going to tell me? You have a fever, you need rest and water. Pay the bill on the way out. Nope, I could figure this out myself. I had a fever, meaning my body was fighting off something, so I should rest and let the fever do its job. I had zero appetite (I had eggs and bacon for breakfast around 8AM, but after that until just now, nothing) so I ate nothing. No big deal. I was quite hungry this morning, even though I am still feeling tired (no fever) and a bit achy, so I ate. I drank water but it never seemed to be enough. I took no medicine so I could let my body do the work it is meant to do and I am already sure that by the end of the day I will be just fine.

Back in the pre-Primal days, I would have tried some medicine and my illness would have dragged on and on. The husband still likes to give the kids medicine (Motrin and Tylenol) to bring down the fever and "get them better." He was upset when I didn't give the mids to The Boy when he was sick a couple months ago. I swear the meds just made the flu stick around longer (oh, and he had the vaccine, I didn't and never do).

Okay, ranting over. I need a mid-morning nap. Maybe I'll dream of my happy life on Kauai (oh, one day...).

cmjg7517 is offline Member
    Nice journal, thoroughly enjoyed reading it. My boyfriend is sort of the same as your husband, he's on board with Primal eating, until he gets a craving for pizza or something.

Just curious, are you located in Savannah? Thats where I am and it sure sounds like it from your postings.
    5'4/125

Hi CMJG! I am in Charleston, actually, so about 2 hours away. I wish my husband would consider trying Primal. He is in no way on board. He eats it for dinner because that's what I make, but his breakfast is usually oatmeal (the pre-sweetened, microwave type), bagels, or english muffins. Lunch is often a junk/fast food disaster (that means the on base food court which is crap pizza, Charley's cheesesteaks, or BK) or whatever the club is serving (the worst salad I've ever tasted or chicken fingers). Since I was sick this weekend, he was in charge of feeding the family and they ate take-out, Dunkin Donuts, tuna casserole (which is tuna, noodles, canned cream of mushroom soup, and cheese, no veggies), frozen pizza. He has even told me not to worry about serving him veggies as he doesn't really like many of them, and I never see him eat fruit. He's happy to live on Pizza Rolls, bagels, and take out foods. It's really hard to get my kids to eat better when the dad eats this way. They do at least like fruits (well, two of them, particularly the Girl) and veggies (mostly the Sweet Boy). And it all makes it that much more difficult for me when he complains about our food/grocery budget being higher because I need to buy 3 dozen eggs each time, and salad stuff, and spinach, and beef, and chicken, and, and, and...Drives me mad.

Breathe....

Well, I will show him that my way is better by saying Fuck It to the food budget, getting the nutrition I need, losing the fat and looking good. I've lost a little bit over the past 2 weeks, and I wasn't eating optimally the entire time. I am trying to keep to a Whole Primal 30/Sugar Free way of eating to break the bad habits. I seriously suspect the husband loved each time I'd show up with a small packet of M&Ms (comfort food), then he'd buy a regular sized bag, then I'd be tempted and eat them all. And quickly. That's not helping me win converts, now, is it? If I'm going to talk it, I have to walk it. I do well at school when I teach. I always bring a bowl of lettuce and cucumber, sometimes with parmesan and olive oil and vinegar, sometimes with mayo-ed tuna. Dinner is nearly always a good Primal meal, but I have had the occasional pizza or burger on a bun. Not too often, however. And breakfast is always, always eggs and bacon, often with spinach and feta.

The farmers' market returns here in about a month so I am going to put aside extra cash for good meats and chicken and eggs. Being sick these past few days have curbed the sugar cravings (no appetite at all) so I think I have a great way to conquer this. Maybe being sick was a bit of a blessing, maybe meant to be. Oddly, I have had a strange urge to get out in the sun and walk or ride a bike. I've never really had urges like that before. This is a great thing!

Picture in my head for keeping Primal: I look and feel great living a fulfilling life on Kauai, riding my bike or walking to get my food, hiking, being on the water on a SUP or maybe a kayak, or just running a bit on the beach, being in the sunshine. Now I just need to get my husband to agree to this, oh, and find a job there. I know, I will have to wait for the kids to all graduate high school first, so I've got some time. I might be old by then!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast