Thread: Strange symptoms... page

Rhona is offline Junior Member

Strange symptoms...

Hiya, I've been eating 'clean' for a while now and I don't feel much difference but I'm getting some weird symptoms that I would have stopped in the olden days by eating something sugary.

When Iíve not eaten for a few hours I get a weird feeling. Kinda shaky, headache, ringing in my ears, dizzy if I stand up quickly, weird vision. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this feeling and what you eat to stop it?

I obviously don't want to start munching bread/chocolate etc but I can't handle this feeling.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    no sage words of wisdom from me other than eat something

when i get those symptoms it means my blood sugar has dropped too low, so i grab a snack and almost immediately feel better

ETA you don't have to eat bread or chocolate. have a piece of fruit, a cup of juice, some potato, something with some carbs
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like either sugar crash, vitamin D deficiency, anaemia or general caloric deficiency. Sugar is an excellent placebo which covers symptoms with hyperactivity, so sugar fixing it doesn't mean much.

Steps to solving:

-Have you been Primal less than two weeks? If so, it's almost certainly sugar crashing.

-Make a food-log for one day. What you eat and when. At the end of the day, go to a kcal counter and see how much you had in total, how much from fat and how much from carbs (and how much from high-GI foods, if you like. If you're eating too few kcals, your meals are too far between (not advisable if you were previously very dependant on sugar; you need to ease into a natural pattern) or you have absolutely no sugar at, say, lunch, then you may need to alter your eating habits.

Ideally, go to the Dr. Don't mention you're going Primal, just that you're eating cleaner, with less refined products and, therefore, less readily available sugars. S/he'll probably advise you to carry on through, if it's sugar-crashing and maybe take a blood sample to check your blood sugar, iron and vitamins.
    Last edited by Kochin; 01-17-2013 at 05:57 AM.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    Sounds like either sugar crash, vitamin D deficiency, anaemia or general caloric deficiency. Sugar is an excellent placebo which covers symptoms with hyperactivity, so sugar fixing it doesn't mean much.

Steps to solving:

-Have you been Primal less than two weeks? If so, it's almost certainly sugar crashing.

-Make a food-log for one day. What you eat and when. At the end of the day, go to a kcal counter and see how much you had in total, how much from fat and how much from carbs (and how much from high-GI foods, if you like. If you're eating too few kcals, your meals are too far between (not advisable if you were previously very dependant on sugar; you need to ease into a natural pattern) or you have absolutely no sugar at, say, lunch, then you may need to alter your eating habits.

Ideally, go to the Dr. Don't mention you're going Primal, just that you're eating cleaner, with less refined products and, therefore, less readily available sugars. S/he'll probably advise you to carry on through, if it's sugar-crashing and maybe take a blood sample to check your blood sugar, iron and vitamins.
    Great advice, I've taken it and booked a doctors appointment for tomorrow. Thank you.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    That does sound like your blood sugar is crashing. I used to have that problem.

First- get some bloodwork done, to rule out metabolism issues such as thyroid disease or diabetes. When my thyroid disease was untreated, I would crash and crash hard. I'd get shaky, couldn't think properly, literally it would have been dangerous for me to drive in that condition. Due to that, I ate every couple hours back then.

Second- you probably are already doing this since you're primal but make sure you are eating no crap, and up your fat and protein intake. When I cut crap out of my diet- especially wheat products and processed foods- I got even more control over my crashes. Since going primal, I don't crash at all. I may get hungry, but it's the normal kind of hungry and now it's not unheard of for me to eat only once a day if my activity level is low. That never would have happened before.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Balance is online now Senior Member
    When you say you have been eating this way for "a while" what exactly does that mean? Have you been eating a clean paleo/primal diet for years/months or days? I can see those symtoms happening when you are still experiencing the carb flu but it normally stabilizes after a few weeks to months. Also, when you start eating less processed junk you will be getting so much less sodium in your diet. Low sodium can lead to a lower blood pressure and Orthostatic Hypotension especially if you are sitting for long periods of time. Orthostatic Hypotension can cause headaches, nausea and dizziness when getting up. I have had it happen to me before on a number of occassions and I have been pretty strict paleo for over 5 years. Since I went paleo my BP wont go over 100/65 but sometimes it will measure in the 90/60.

Orthostatic hypotension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I'm having this same problem, and I've been pretty strickly primal now for 7 weeks. It just started 4 days ago and seems to be getting worse. At first it was just a headache, yesterday the shakes were added.

Is this lack of protein. It's sure not lack of fats?

MattyH is offline Junior Member
    If the dizziness happens when you stand up fast, and if you've been eating clean for a while, sounds more like low blood pressure leading to dehydration than sugar crash to me. (note that I say this ONLY from personal experience w low bp, I have NO medical background.) Take a look back at the last few days - have you removed something you typically eat that has salt - maybe you've gotten "very good" about raw vs. roasted nuts? Maybe you decided to cut out coffee, so now you're not really drinking anything? Obviously bp test is just a cuff on the arm, but dehydration test is just as easy - there should be almost no diff in bp between standing, sitting and lying down.

Alternately - are you in flu territory, or have you just had a flu shot? That can seriously dehydrate you too.
    Last edited by MattyH; 01-18-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Thanks so much everyone for your help.

I'm keeping a proper food diary so I can see if it's happening when I eat/don't eat certain things and I went to the docs of Friday and got my bloods done so I'll look forward to seeing the results.

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    I experience this when my blood pressure is too low. Recently, happened while recovering from flu. Used to happen all the time when I was restricting calories too low.