Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering Dietary Change from raw veganism - Any help please? page 3

Peace x is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Thanks Neckhammer

I'm just reading up about the GAPS protocol, some of it makes sense but I need to read more.

Peace x

Peace x is offline Member
    Thanks Zoebird.

It's such a comfort to know that returning to meat after such a period of time caused you no problems. It fills me with hope!

I'll keep you posted on my progress, hopefully it will be onwards and upwards from here on!

Peace x

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Peace x View Post
    Thanks Zach for the sharing your story.

I've been craving sauerkraut and have started eating about 400 grams daily. I did wonder whether this was too excessive for sodium so would be interested to hear what you think?

White breads, rice and ice cream made me ill as a child which is why I've never really eaten them. White potatoes used to be ok though.

As for fruit, I loathe bananas, they used to make me feel really nauseous and edgy, but will certainly add in some berries as I do fancy these - especially blueberries.

Thank you for the link, I'll check it out.

Peace x
    Looks like 400g of sauerkraut is just about 100% of the RDA so thats good. I think you should actually get a bit more sodium then the RDA because you are probably deficient from drinking getting so much water and losing so many minerals.

Thats ok if you dont like my suggestions, im just trying to think of easily digestible foods that a high in calories. Most likely you need some saturated fat, sodium, sugar and calories so just focus on that.

J. Stanton is offline Senior Member
    Peace x:

80/10/10 is great for a while, because you're on a constant sugar high...but after a few months to a few years the nutrient deficiencies catch up, and you start to feel the symptoms you described. Good on you for realizing what was happening.

I suspect the farts and digestive problems are due to the cabbage and sauerkraut, which can cause that even in healthy people! You can eat them - particularly the sauerkraut, as fermented foods will help rebalance your gut flora - but start with small quantities. It's OK to go back and eat some fruit if you digest it well...the key is to eat it along with meals, not by itself.

The reason you're hungry after eggs is that your body is depleted of the many fat-soluble nutrients they contain, and is craving them. Eggs are only 75 calories each, so go ahead and eat as many as you like...particularly the yolks. Egg yolks are absolutely critical to your health and recovery!

As long as you're eating whole foods (which you are), go ahead and eat to satiation. Your body is nutrient-depleted and you need to gain some weight anyway.

Eggs (including yolks), fish, and avocados are a good calorie base. I'd add some fruit for carb content (along with meals) because you know you can tolerate it...it may take a while before you can deal with starchy foods again. Sauerkraut is good, but go easy on it until your gut adjusts. Same with any other green or fibrous veggie, particularly the crucifers...go easy on them. Bone broths are great if you have the patience to make them.

Over time you can start adding red meat (ground meat will be easiest), more fibrous veggies, and non-fruit starches...but there's no rush. Your first task is to find a group of foods you know you can eat day-to-day.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I also highly recommend a site called 180degreehealth.com.
    180degreehealth is the sink trap of Internet dietary advice. It's where people who don't want to give up eating ice cream go to be told that eating huge piles of junk and being chubby is OK because raising your body temperature by overloading your metabolism with sugar you can't process is a sign of health.

cantat is offline Senior Member
    I don't have much to add, except:

1) a guy I train with was a raw vegan when I first met him. he was constantly exhausted and looked drawn and pale ALL the time, and this is a guy who was in excellent shape. when he introduced animal products back into his diet, he looked and felt a lot better.

2) apparently, these foods are pretty inoffensive and neutral to the digestive system, and were recommended to a friend as a base diet to try to figure out food allergies (she was instructed to eat these and nothing else, initially, and then introduce foods back into her diet. so it sounds like these are easy on the stomach, may be good for you to incorporate frequently if you're finding that other foods make you fill ill): lamb, pears, and white rice. Yes, rice is a grain, but white rice is (even according to Mark) a neutral food that doesn't cause an insulin spike and a good source of easy carbs.

I really hope you start feeling better, it sounds like your body has a lot of recovering to do. Best of luck.
    29/F
    5'4.5
    Highest weight: 220
    Starting weight: 195
    Current weight: 179
    Goal weight: 127

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Stanton View Post

180degreehealth is the sink trap of Internet dietary advice. It's where people who don't want to give up eating ice cream go to be told that eating huge piles of junk and being chubby is OK because raising your body temperature by overloading your metabolism with sugar you can't process is a sign of health.
    J, i could say some stuff about your site but i prefer not to be negative. All i will say is Matt Stone saved my health and his site adds some much needed perspective on dieting and restriction.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Stanton View Post
    No wonder I always thought you were a jackass
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    J, i could say some stuff about your site but i prefer not to be negative. All i will say is Matt Stone saved my health and his site adds some much needed perspective on dieting and restriction.
    Just like primal saved most of the people who are heres health

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Matt stone seems to assume that if you dont go around eating Pizza Hut all day you are some kind of OCD bulemic anorexic individual scared to death of food. In which case his advice would be helpful, but for those who arent scared of food, who are just looking for optimal health, no. Only thing that helped me in his book is dont drink when you aren't thirsty- which should have been obvious. So I don't OD on tea anymore. I was already unafraid of salt- and that was the other good point in the book. The rest not so much. Why would anyone recommend drinking freaking coke? If you need sugar, there are nutritious sources.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyL View Post
    Matt stone seems to assume that if you dont go around eating Pizza Hut all day you are some kind of OCD bulemic anorexic individual scared to death of food. In which case his advice would be helpful, but for those who arent scared of food, who are just looking for optimal health, no. Only thing that helped me in his book is dont drink when you aren't thirsty- which should have been obvious. So I don't OD on tea anymore. I was already unafraid of salt- and that was the other good point in the book. The rest not so much. Why would anyone recommend drinking freaking coke? If you need sugar, there are nutritious sources.
    So his book helped you in some way and yet you still slam him and completely exaggerate his philosphy. Nice.

A lot of people here ARE orthorexic and deathly afraid of some food group or an entire macronutrient.

The guy has helped a lot more people then certain other diet gurus and has helped many people who have been hurt by primal, paleo, low carb, vegan, low fat and other diets. He may not be for everyone but his focus on metabolism is something the OP needs and thats why i posted his site, i wouldnt have otherwise.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast