Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering Dietary Change from raw veganism - Any help please? page 2

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Peace, good luck with it all. You can see your old way of life was not good for you. GOod on you for coming over here and looking into primal.
    Zach's mission is to tell every one that primal is not good, unsure why he is even here. If you look around, many peoples live have changed for the better by going primal.
    Slowly introducing things is probably best since you are not used to meat. Hoping things improve for you soon

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Peace x View Post
    Hi Zach

Bless you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate you explaining that my digestion will take time to adapt to a new way of eating.

Yes,I do have numerous vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Iron, magnesium, calcium and zinc (and B12) are just some of the ones the doctor has flagged up in my blood results.

Whilst I was doing well in some ways on a raw diet (mainly fruit), I was constantly hungry, thirsty (despite drinking a minimum of 3 litres of water daily and plenty of calories), cold, fatigued, felt nauseous and my digestion really struggled towards the end of my fruit feasting days. My bowels were also always very loose. I was craving vegetables, gained weight and up at least 3 times in the night to visit the bathroom. The more fruit I ate the more I craved and it was a horrible having an overwhelming craving for sweet sugary fruit. It then got to a point that I just didn't fancy anything sweet anymore and now if I have half an apple or a handful of berries I began to crave more and more sugary sweets and want to eat more despite not really feeling hungry. It also bloated out my stomach and resulted in cramps (this was the apple, the berries were ok). It sounds silly but it is like it's beyond my control and I don' t like feeling that way. So I hope you can understand my hesitation in returning to fruit now. I love fruit but part of me feels like I need to go cold turkey with it for a while my I regain my health. Maybe I should just focus on berries with some yogurt and see how that goes - what do you think?

Peace x

P.S. I was surprised to read that you no longer follow a primal or paleo diet. If it is not too personal, would you mind sharing your reasons why?
    Your symptoms sound spot on with a completely exhausted metabolism. Cold temps, peeing constantly, no energy, etc. your original post did go into such depth. I still suggest you dont abandon all fruit because fruit has a good amount of nutrients and sugar which you need. But yes, if they are not agreeing with you then limit them to maybe berries, bananas and citrus. I still stick with my initial advice on adding in the animal foods to cover deficiencies and to help bring up metabolism. Also you might want to try things that are more processed that are easier to digest like white breads, white potatoes, white rice, ice cream, etc. these things may seem bad but in the context of getting your metabolism up and hormones going, these are very powerful foods. Many dont know that you need a healthy metabolism to digest well. Oh and a big one i forgot to mention is to up your salt intake! Your excessive thirst is telling you that you need sodium, you are so low that you cant hold onto water and minerals. This is one of the big reasons why 811 fails. Sodium is very very importent.

My own story is like many others. I found i did very poorly on a mainly meat and veg diet. Metabolism and thyroid issues popped up. I do much better on a high carb diet, light on animal products and fat.

I also highly recommend a site called 180degreehealth.com.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Zach! People come here to learn about primal. You advice is so far from it, why do you do this?
    You need to stop giving advice here. Seriously.

Peace x is offline Member
    Hi Rich Mahogany

Thanks for pointing out the reasons. I hadn't seen it this way but you are probably right.

I've never hear of the two people above so I appreciate you mentioning them as I'm now going to look them up.

HCL is something I'm probably going to have to invest in.

Peace x

Thank you Ayla

I am grateful for your information and well wishes.

Peace x

Thanks Zach for the sharing your story.

I've been craving sauerkraut and have started eating about 400 grams daily. I did wonder whether this was too excessive for sodium so would be interested to hear what you think?

White breads, rice and ice cream made me ill as a child which is why I've never really eaten them. White potatoes used to be ok though.

As for fruit, I loathe bananas, they used to make me feel really nauseous and edgy, but will certainly add in some berries as I do fancy these - especially blueberries.

Thank you for the link, I'll check it out.

Peace x

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I actually think Zach's advice is spot on, for someone who is looking for recovery from what sounds like a really dangerous period of undernourishment. If the OP chooses to try out primal/paleo, that is their choice.

I would suggest that you start taking HCL and/or digestive enzymes to help your gut out while you are adjusting to these foods.

Make sure to incorporate nutrient-dense foods like stocks and bone broths whenever you can.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-t...vegetarianism/

Paleo Diet Challenges & Solutions II: It’s All About the Gut!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peace x View Post
    Hi Rich Mahogany

Thanks for pointing out the reasons. I hadn't seen it this way but you are probably right.

I've never hear of the two people above so I appreciate you mentioning them as I'm now going to look them up.

HCL is something I'm probably going to have to invest in.

Peace x
    Yeah, what he said. Particularly the yolks are just brimming with all the things that you are likely deficient in (fat soluble vitamins and other factors). Plus you did flatly state that 3 eggs did not make you feel full at all. Me neither. I usually have half a dozen at least.

If you don't do well with a lot of eggs be sure to at least be eating the yolks (the whites are fairly low nutrient protein, and to those with egg allergies its almost always to the whites....not the yolk). Also adding bone broth to your day should help with healing the gut. I sip mine like a cup of coffee while relaxing at night. You can add a bit of salt to it to make it more palatable and cook it in some veggies for flavor. Keep up the kraut...thats great!

You may consider looking at the GAPS protocol if your gut is really bad off. One of my kiddo's went through it. It's a bit more strict in the beginning then comes up to being about Primal near the end. It's more of a process of healing with the strategic addition of foods over time. Worth checking out. Good luck!
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-17-2013 at 12:48 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Like Daimana (sp?), I was vegetarian for 10-11 years, and I went back to meat with no problem as well. I would recommend that you eat more eggs and start in on some oily fish. I would also just add pure oil to the diet -- cod liver oil, coconut oil, butter. Fat has a lot of nutrients, and it will be helpful. Eat avocados, too.

Just start adding things in as you go. It will take a few weeks for gut flora to grow to what you need, consider a pro or pre biotic as well.

Good luck! I look forward to reading your journey (I don't think zach was ever primal/paleo, but I can't say. I don't know. )

Hi Nameless Wonder

Than you for your reply.

I'm going to source some HCL and see how these help.

Thanks you also for the links.

Peace x

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast