Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Liver page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    US Wellness meats, in their pet food section, sells blended GF meat, heart and liver and you can use it in anything you would use regular ground beef and nobody would know the difference, meatloaf, marinara, meatballs, etc. I just don't tell my dog I'm ordering pet food or then he would want me to share.

ErinF is offline Senior Member
    I never thought to mix it in with ground beef, that's so simple and I bet I wouldn't even notice it in there. I'm reading The Perfect Health Diet right now and with all the supplements I should be getting I just can't get liver out of my head. I know I'm low on some of the things that liver offer; but I don't do well on supplements, most of them make me puke or give me horrid headaches. And the only seafood I'll eat is very, very, very mild fish. I tried to eat shellfish once and I couldn't stomach it. I'm really a wuss when it comes to weird textures.

I actually ran across a thread where someone mentioned cutting it into little pieces then freezing it and swallowing it like you would a pill. Is it safe to eat raw/frozen liver? I might actually try that if I can't stomach it mixed into ground beef.
    Last edited by ErinF; 01-16-2013 at 11:03 PM.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    US Wellness meats, in their pet food section, sells blended GF meat, heart and liver and you can use it in anything you would use regular ground beef and nobody would know the difference, meatloaf, marinara, meatballs, etc. I just don't tell my dog I'm ordering pet food or then he would want me to share.
    I eat 1 lb per week of US Wellness liverwurst. I love it cold with mustard or warmed up with my eggs. My dog goes bonkers everytime I take it out of the frig. I never give him a taste because, if I did, he would go totally insane every time he smelled it.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Make pâté out of it, or buy some. It's how I've been getting mine.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

A lot of people overcook liver. I buy grass fed calf liver. I fry up some onions and maybe some mushrooms in butter until nice and soft, then you cut the liver in to extremely thin strips and throw it in the pan. Cook till turns grey and starts "bleeding" red juice out, but no more than that. Delicious.

neowild is offline Member
    That's exactly how I do it...except I'm lazy and don't want to clean liver off my cutting board. So I use scissors and cut it up over the pan--careful to not cut off my fingers.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hey! Don't tell everybody about this, they run out of that stuff too often as it is. Although now that the cat's out of the bag, everybody should be aware that it's super fatty (which is a + for me), because the ground beef content is 65/35. And nobody tell those people that I don't have any pets.

Great write-up on the carnivosphere. Cool stuff and good to know. Basically, your food plan is what I eat with great success. Been "over" vegetables for a long time. Not that I don't enjoy them when I eat them, but it just doesn't seem worth the hassle.

scottts is offline Junior Member
    One thing I do is mix about an ounce of liver into a mix of potato or rice, ghee, and egg yolk each day. Keeps the liver below the taste threshold.

Alternatively I get US Wellness liverwurst which is 30% liver, 20% kidney, and 20% heart. Tastes prettty good actually.

The Scientist is offline Member
    I found two great ways to make sure you can't taste it.

1. Mix 1/3 liver with 2/3 ground beef, fry it, and cover it in tomato sauce. Spaghetti without the noodles. My kids love it.

2. Put a bunch of bacon in a pan and fry it. After the bacon is cooked, throw in some very small pieces of liver of cook them for only a minute or two. The bacon almost entirely masks the liver.

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    I recommend the chopping up raw and freezing small cubes method.
    I eat raw liver all the time and have grown to enjoy it. I've never even tried cooking it... I imagine cooked liver to be pretty nasty, but imagine most would say that about it raw, sooooo..........
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast