Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 8

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    I did some digging into Jaminet's claims about scurvy. He says he got this a result of a VLC diet including lots of veggies, NOT a ZC diet. He says the problem was the lack of starches but maybe it was the inclusion of the veggies. All of those plant anti-nutrients could have been binding up the nutrient absorption he needed.

Also if a ZC diet really causes scurvy, why were all the traditional Inuit not dead?

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Oh now VLC can cause dry eyes? WTF? Reeally???

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Also if a ZC diet really causes scurvy, why were all the traditional Inuit not dead?
    i read somewhere and i cant remember where. a theory that the scurvy the sailors got in capt cook's day was from the grain based diet. the hard tack. prob typical internet misinformation but the idea was all the sugars in the grains? and lo and behold. i googled and found no less than a thread here from 2011 about it! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread31896.html

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Steffanson in Fat of the Land says that most of the meat he ate while living with the Inuit was boiled.

He made a big point that meat has to be fresh. It can't be "potted" (what exactly that means I'm not sure.) Sometimes if I eat a lot of canned meat rather than fresh, I don't feel nearly as good as when I eat a rare and bloody steak, so there must be something to it. A rare steak is like a slap in the face, bracing and invigorating to my vitality.

Sailors on ships sometimes would land on shore and go hunting in order to halt scurvy. They could not always do this. I think the issue with the lime juice was that it was preserved (cooked and bottled) so the vitamin C was already destroyed. They really didn't know what the hell they were doing back then.

I've made my own pemmican. It's really not difficult at all. I slice the meat as thin as I can, dehydrate it in my cheap crappy dehydrator until crispy and use my crappy blender to pulverize it. I use US Wellness or local grass-fed beef tallow. I add salt despite what Lex Rooker says. It is not good without salt. It's not very good with salt, either, but it's fabulous when I melt it into other things on backpacking trips.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Sailors on ships sometimes would land on shore and go hunting in order to halt scurvy
    def couldnt do that on the way here for long stretches. captn cook and various whalers and sealers did leave livestock around the place and on offshore islands for ship wrecked or passing ships. our feral pigs come from this time.

i've never sucessfully made pemmican but i love biltong.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

Inuits ate plant materials from stomach contents in animals such as rein deers etc...

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I cannot believe there are already 8 pages here and I'm just seeing that you posted this!

Starting New Years Day I've been "mostly" carnivorous myself! I've had some brussel sprouts (cause I honestly LOVE them roasted), but forced down some wilted spinach with my venison and roasted marrow bone this evening. I can easily live without fruit--at least at this time of the year. BUT--I could (and DO) lick marrow bones! No new seizures here and my IBS has finally abated! I'm right there with you sister!

I havent been on a scale in weeks...but I did take measurements about 3 weeks ago and again today---lost 2 inches off my waist, 1/2 inch of my thighs and an inch off my hips! Nice bonus
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Oh now VLC can cause dry eyes? WTF? Reeally???
    Relax... I'm HFLC and take a very intense prescription diuretic for a medical condition... and still no dry eyes.
    I say it's bunk.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Relax... I'm HFLC and take a very intense prescription diuretic for a medical condition... and still no dry eyes.
    I say it's bunk.
    Yeah I am thinking so too.
    I should really be not on here right now lol

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i saw a blog a few years back bout a dude who gave himself scurvy

i lol't

i can't remember for sure but i think his diet was just pemmican

none of you be that guy, okay? i'm not saying you will be, i like food experiments, just if you do get scurvy out of some unplanned food mishap don't cure it til after halloween

you can dress up as an authentic pirate
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast