Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 7

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Panda View Post
    Stop destroying magic, paleobird!!!
    Yeah well, I dunno if the fermetation of potato starch in your large intestine could be regarded as magical........

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    basically a sheep that is between one and two years old. interesting discussion here about it if you are into sheep lol the meat has more flavour than lamb. i prefer it. mutton i like even better but it is way more difficult to get here. you usually have to buy a leg to roast. vs chops.

summer here. i am not craving veges. funnily enough stone fruit is smelling overpoweringly sweet to me right now.

sbhikes just do it. you wont look back.

you will be out hunting next PB!
    Oh, so it's a teenager lamb. They very rarely sell mutton here. Not much market for it I guess. I've only had it in Europe. I liked the more intense flavor.

OK, sharpening my spear................

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Damn I would love to come hunting with you PB

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

I'm not sure I buy the part in the SLD about foreign foods not having a taste association and therefor he could eat and not gain weight. I think they might not stimulate a person to want to eat as much but calories still count when they hit the tummy. Losing weight on vacation could also have the confounding variable of lots of walking involved.
    I think we naturally don't eat as much of what we don't care for. Since I'm no big fish eater, I certainly don't over eat the stuff. And I have to force myself to eat shellfish of any kind. FORCE. I really dislike it. But, it's affordable and nutrient rich, so. . .wait, that goes t the idea that "i think it's healthy, so I'll eat it." LOL

Also, I think it has to do with overall food quality. When we are overseas, we tend to what we normally do plus a treat or three -- because we are trying new things, but we also WALK a lot too. Most than normal for certain. So, we loose weight. Or maintain it anyway. So, while calories do count, I certainly eat more on holiday (while also exercising more).

I'm glad you're getting into seafood. (I just had a sudden craving for a platter of raw oysters) Pork doesn't work for me either. There is another thread going about that. Jammies posted an interesting WAPF study on blood coagulation after eating pork. It was a small study but it would be interesting to see it widened.
    Yeah. I think I'll have bacon on rare occasion, but otherwise. . . blech.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Damn I would love to come hunting with you PB
    Well, get your loincloth on. Let's go.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I think we naturally don't eat as much of what we don't care for. Since I'm no big fish eater, I certainly don't over eat the stuff. And I have to force myself to eat shellfish of any kind. FORCE. I really dislike it. But, it's affordable and nutrient rich, so. . .wait, that goes t the idea that "i think it's healthy, so I'll eat it." LOL

Also, I think it has to do with overall food quality. When we are overseas, we tend to what we normally do plus a treat or three -- because we are trying new things, but we also WALK a lot too. Most than normal for certain. So, we loose weight. Or maintain it anyway. So, while calories do count, I certainly eat more on holiday (while also exercising more).
    Yeah. I think I'll have bacon on rare occasion, but otherwise. . . blech.
    Interesting. Shellfish has been so overfished here that it has become rather a pricy delicacy. I know some people who hate shellfish but slurp them down anyway because they are chic. Personally, I think I am descended from coastal living Groks. I don't feel right without my seafood.

Holidays are different for different people. You and I probably do a lot more walking, hiking, etc. but some people sit by the pool sipping sweet drinks. So I guess that could vary a lot.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Im so there!

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I think I am descended from coastal living Groks. I don't feel right without my seafood.
    we are at least 7/8th sea coast ancestry so i am totally with you there. i never could do all that flax seed oil for omega 3s &-(

Well, get your loincloth on. Let's go.
    dont want to hunt around here in a loin cloth. way too many nasty things in the bush to spike, graze and sting you. you are prob ok up in the hills and i have been hunting in a bikini there but you so have to watch for speargrass still. especially if you are running down a hill as it is called speargrass for a very good reason.

Paleobird Guest
    It's interesting what I am noticing about my appetite. It has sort of been MIA for a while. This morning though I woke up HONGRAY!

I had six eggs and some tea with raw hwc in it and, boom, done. No urge to snack the rest of the day. I'm going to see how long before I want dinner (or if I do).

This seems to go along with what J. Stanton is saying about "Eat like a predator, not like prey."

Now that I think about it and looking back on all the animals I saw in the wild in Africa, I think another part could be added to that that says, "Only have stress in your world like a predator, not like prey".

SAD eating people just seem to look like a bunch of nervous gazelles to me, constantly grazing and constantly on edge.

Predators have that one big rush in for the kill where you could very well end up getting seriously hurt or dead but, if that doesn't happen, you put that behind you and chill out while chowing down.

I remember seeing this one lioness who had just gorged on zebra rolling over on her back with all four paws in the air like a kitty cat under a tree to take a nap. She knew she had it made in the shade. Not a care in the world.

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    ZIOH. I was a member there several years ago. It was at the time a more open forum with a lot of discussion about the long-term health of ZC. Charles decided only true believers had a voice so he thinned the membership to about 15% of its high water mark. The Dirty Carnivore forum is an off-shoot of that move. They migrated to a new site that was made up of invites for awhile.
    Some of the ZIOH folk were raw only or pemmican only for years. I remember some having problems with that--scurvy the most notable. Paul Jaminet also developed scurvy on a VLC diet, which gave us the PHD; so some good came from it.

There is a raw Paleo forum out there. Also look for Lex Rooker (he may have started the raw forum). He's been a raw carnivore for years-or was.
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TCOHTom View Post
    ZIOH. I was a member there several years ago. It was at the time a more open forum with a lot of discussion about the long-term health of ZC. Charles decided only true believers had a voice so he thinned the membership to about 15% of its high water mark. The Dirty Carnivore forum is an off-shoot of that move. They migrated to a new site that was made up of invites for awhile.
    Some of the ZIOH folk were raw only or pemmican only for years. I remember some having problems with that--scurvy the most notable. Paul Jaminet also developed scurvy on a VLC diet, which gave us the PHD; so some good came from it.

There is a raw Paleo forum out there. Also look for Lex Rooker (he may have started the raw forum). He's been a raw carnivore for years-or was.
    Oh that's interesting. I didn't know that the DC site was an offshoot of ZIOH. You can participate at ZIOH but you can't become a real member until you fill out a questionaire which basically says no dissension/individual opinions allowed. My way or the highway.

I have heard of Lex Rooker from his excellent manual on how to make pemmican. He is very insistent about drying the meat at a low enough temperature that it is technically still raw. That is a lot of work, however. I have decided to let US Wellness Meats do that for me.

I can see how raw eating could be interesting now and then and provide some variety but I don't think I want to go all the way that direction. I think the decreased nutrient availability of raw food may have had something to do with some of those people developing scurvy.

Steffanson (as quoted by ZIOH) says that several arctic expeditions, even when supplementing with lemon and lime juice, were dying off of scurvy left and right but that he and his guys were perfectly healthy on the Inuit diet.

Paleobird Guest
    I did some digging into Jaminet's claims about scurvy. He says he got this a result of a VLC diet including lots of veggies, NOT a ZC diet. He says the problem was the lack of starches but maybe it was the inclusion of the veggies. All of those plant anti-nutrients could have been binding up the nutrient absorption he needed.

Also if a ZC diet really causes scurvy, why were all the traditional Inuit not dead?

Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast