Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 6

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    I used to make soft serve ice cream for Dad just by blending raw hwc and frozen fruit in the vitamix so you really wouldn't even need honey.
    i still do that for the kids. i reckon maybe with cream, egg yolks and CO and some vanilla would be nice. totally with you on the lamb chops instead of pork. do you get hogget in the US?

Althaur is offline Senior Member
    I go carnivorous sometimes. I just won't feel like eating anything but a big steak, fried in butter with a fried egg on top. Runny yolk of course. Can't really do it while deployed though. The chowhall meat isn't very high quality, and they usually won't give me enough either. Apparently anything more than one steak on Friday night is unacceptable.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I will be interested to see if, as the seasons change, your taste for some vegetables gets heightened. It seems to me that eating carnivorously for at least a few months of the year would have been a very natural and necessary way of life for Grok.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    When I ate a ketogenic diet over the summer I rarely ate veggies... mostly just meat and fat. Worked great for a while and then I got to a place where I was craving carbs so I added them back in. The problem was I think my body got too depleted and I over did the carbs and couldn't get my eating under very good control for a couple of months. I gained 5 lbs back in the last few months, no big deal... but I didn't like that adding more carbs made me feel a little out of control with my eating... more cravings, etc. In ketosis you lose a lot of your appetite so no cravings. Now I am feeling like I need to find a bit more balance to make it sustaniable and long term. I don't like lowering my fat and adding to many resistant starches makes me gain weight (PHD style). I am back to VLC, high fat, moderate protein for a little while to kick some of these cravings and then will add some resistant starches here and there... a few times a week probably in the form of sweet potatoes, white potatoes, or bananas. I've just come to find I am too carb sensitive for PHD and VLC doesn't work for me long term, so somewhere in the middle but leaning more towards VLC is what might be best for me.

I agree about not wanting as many vegetables and I never really ate fruit in the past two years of being primal, but I do like bananas occasionally now. Even during my VLC months I always ate meat at every meal even though many were cutting down on it. I need my meat and my fat... the rest are just to enhance them a bit.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I buy steak at a local market, not grass-fed, but it's an ethnic market and their meats are really good. For some reason all the cuts are absolutely enormous. If you want a pork loin you are going to bring home a piece of meat the size of your leg. When I buy top sirloin I get steaks I need to cut in thirds to make the still-generous portions I like to eat. As I'm cutting them up, I seem to instinctively want to pop pieces of the raw meat into my mouth. I don't know why. I have stopped myself every time. Perhaps this is the gateway to trying raw meat. Just cut up a lean, red steak and succumb to the allure of those little red jewels of raw beef you cut off.

I do tend to be a mostly carnivorous eater most of the time. Lately I've enjoyed root vegetables, potatoes and squash with my meals. Once in a while I just need to eat a big pile of broccoli or cauliflower. Beef and broccoli is a good combo. But I don't eat broccoli every day, nor do I think I need to. Yesterday the only vegetables I ate were sweet potato, mushrooms and onions. Tonight I will have a big huge bloody rare steak. Best thing on earth.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    As to the raw meat bit, I'd say give it a try. I can't really put into words, except to say the meat tastes cleaner. Usually I just "taste test" before throwing it on the grill. But, I have sat down and eaten a whole raw steak on a couple occasions as a little N=1. It's an interesting experiment for sure. I consume raw egg yolks almost every day. I don't think I could go 100% raw, but once in a while it provides for some variety.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    I want mussels, right now, because of this thread. Butter and garlic and mmmm...

PB, do you have any thoughts on macros? How much fat vs. how much protein. Or are you just going to eat to satiety?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I have something I'd like to place in your broth if you know what I mean
    <Fans self>

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i still do that for the kids. i reckon maybe with cream, egg yolks and CO and some vanilla would be nice. totally with you on the lamb chops instead of pork. do you get hogget in the US?
    Sure. Vanilla is sweet enough on its own for me. What is hogget?

Quote Originally Posted by Althaur View Post
    I go carnivorous sometimes. I just won't feel like eating anything but a big steak, fried in butter with a fried egg on top. Runny yolk of course. Can't really do it while deployed though. The chowhall meat isn't very high quality, and they usually won't give me enough either. Apparently anything more than one steak on Friday night is unacceptable.
    That's a shame. We should give our armed forces all the meat they want. We did in WWII. The troops got first dibs on all the country's meat and it was rationed for everybody else. Back then we had our priorities straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I will be interested to see if, as the seasons change, your taste for some vegetables gets heightened. It seems to me that eating carnivorously for at least a few months of the year would have been a very natural and necessary way of life for Grok.
    Yes, this interests me too. Although I live in a place where the changes in season are not very dramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    When I ate a ketogenic diet over the summer I rarely ate veggies... mostly just meat and fat. Worked great for a while and then I got to a place where I was craving carbs so I added them back in. The problem was I think my body got too depleted and I over did the carbs and couldn't get my eating under very good control for a couple of months. I gained 5 lbs back in the last few months, no big deal... but I didn't like that adding more carbs made me feel a little out of control with my eating... more cravings, etc. In ketosis you lose a lot of your appetite so no cravings. Now I am feeling like I need to find a bit more balance to make it sustaniable and long term. I don't like lowering my fat and adding too many resistant starches makes me gain weight (PHD style). I am back to VLC, high fat, moderate protein for a little while to kick some of these cravings and then will add some resistant starches here and there... a few times a week probably in the form of sweet potatoes, white potatoes, or bananas. I've just come to find I am too carb sensitive for PHD and VLC doesn't work for me long term, so somewhere in the middle but leaning more towards VLC is what might be best for me.

I agree about not wanting as many vegetables and I never really ate fruit in the past two years of being primal, but I do like bananas occasionally now. Even during my VLC months I always ate meat at every meal even though many were cutting down on it. I need my meat and my fat... the rest are just to enhance them a bit.
    Was the problem really depletion or that eating carbs promotes eating more carbs? I know Otzi is on an RS kick lately but really, RS is nothing more than Type III fiber (right after soluble and insoluble). It is not a magic substance that does anything you need other than nourish the gut bacteria that you need to digest it. Hence eating potatoes begets more potato eating. Your gut bacteria actually can give you cravings for what they want you to feed them (interesting series at Hyperlipid called "Whose Fat Is It Anyway?")The only nutrient found in The substance from breaking down RS that our bodies need is butyrate. The most concentrated form of butyrate in the world is BUTTER from which it gets its name. So, I say, "Give me the butter and hold the potato."

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I buy steak at a local market, not grass-fed, but it's an ethnic market and their meats are really good. For some reason all the cuts are absolutely enormous. If you want a pork loin you are going to bring home a piece of meat the size of your leg. When I buy top sirloin I get steaks I need to cut in thirds to make the still-generous portions I like to eat. As I'm cutting them up, I seem to instinctively want to pop pieces of the raw meat into my mouth. I don't know why. I have stopped myself every time. Perhaps this is the gateway to trying raw meat. Just cut up a lean, red steak and succumb to the allure of those little red jewels of raw beef you cut off.

I do tend to be a mostly carnivorous eater most of the time. Lately I've enjoyed root vegetables, potatoes and squash with my meals. Once in a while I just need to eat a big pile of broccoli or cauliflower. Beef and broccoli is a good combo. But I don't eat broccoli every day, nor do I think I need to. Yesterday the only vegetables I ate were sweet potato, mushrooms and onions. Tonight I will have a big huge bloody rare steak. Best thing on earth.
    Yum, sampling a little like that sound like a good way to get over the squeem factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    As to the raw meat bit, I'd say give it a try. I can't really put into words, except to say the meat tastes cleaner. Usually I just "taste test" before throwing it on the grill. But, I have sat down and eaten a whole raw steak on a couple occasions as a little N=1. It's an interesting experiment for sure. I consume raw egg yolks almost every day. I don't think I could go 100% raw, but once in a while it provides for some variety.
    Yep, now that I have a good source where I could actually go out and "Meet my meat", this is becoming more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I want mussels, right now, because of this thread. Butter and garlic and mmmm...
    PB, do you have any thoughts on macros? How much fat vs. how much protein. Or are you just going to eat to satiety?
    I want oysters on the half-shell for breakfast. Macros? Well the carnivorous premise is that, with all the other dietary noise (i.e. veggies, starch, etc) cleared out, your body can sort this out on its own as long as you are eating a reasonable amount of fat in your meat/fish. They contend that, with carbs so low, any extra on either fat or protein will just be excreted. I'm not sure if I buy this. I will say however that I ate A LOT yesterday, 1lb labne for brunch, about 8oz of salmon and three lamb chops for dinner. By the time I went to bed at midnight, I was tummy rumbling hungry again. It feels like my metabolism has kicked into a higher gear.

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleobird View Post
    i know otzi is on an rs kick lately but really, rs is nothing more than type iii fiber (right after soluble and insoluble). it is not a magic substance that does anything you need other than nourish the gut bacteria that you need to digest it. Hence eating potatoes begets more potato eating.
    Stop destroying magic, paleobird!!!

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What is hogget?
    basically a sheep that is between one and two years old. interesting discussion here about it if you are into sheep lol
    Difference between a hogget and a 2 tooth - lifestyleblock discussion forums
    the meat has more flavour than lamb. i prefer it. mutton i like even better but it is way more difficult to get here. you usually have to buy a leg to roast. vs chops.

summer here. i am not craving veges. funnily enough stone fruit is smelling overpoweringly sweet to me right now.

sbhikes just do it. you wont look back.

Yep, now that I have a good source where I could actually go out and "Meet my meat", this is becoming more interesting.
    you will be out hunting next PB!

Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast