Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 50

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner42 View Post
    Could you guys knock it off with the interpersonal stuff, at least in a thread intended for a specific topic?
    For real, take it to the PMs please. It's a waste of space for everyone else =\.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

I read through this thread today and was remembering that back when I first switched to Paleo meat was one of the few things I could digest happily. My psoriasis has been flaring up rather badly again lately, and I've been thinking about going back to more meat. Anyone have any thoughts about a mostly-meat diet and autoimmune disease?
    I don't think it would hurt, but for me personally, everything I've read leans towards supporting gut flora health first and foremost. I'd be looking into probiotic/resistant starch angle first. I personally find a low carb diet really unsustainable for my energy needs and overall happiness.

And don't forget to cut out dairy, that can be a key culprit for skin conditions.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think I'm actually allergic to eggs. Over time, I get a rash. If I cut back the rash goes away. So lately I eat one egg instead of 3 or 4 and the rash is gone. Eggs are another place to look if you have skin problems.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Spinner42 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think I'm actually allergic to eggs. Over time, I get a rash. If I cut back the rash goes away. So lately I eat one egg instead of 3 or 4 and the rash is gone. Eggs are another place to look if you have skin problems.
    Thanks to both you and namelesswonder for your replies. I am dairy-free, and I only eat my mother's pastured eggs, who have soy and wheat-free food in addition to all the bugs and greens. I think conventional eggs often upset my stomach. Sigh. It gets tiresome and I know a lot of people are in far more difficult situations. Oh and yes, too little carbs and my sleep quality decreases, which certainly doesn't help any chronic condition!

I guess I was really wondering if people think anything about a mostly-meat diet would actively be bad for autoimmune conditions...

I'm grateful for your replies

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member

I guess I was really wondering if people think anything about a mostly-meat diet would actively be bad for autoimmune conditions...

I'm grateful for your replies

I think it depends on the type of autoimmune condition. I have autoimmune hypothyroid and for me a mostly meat diet would not be good, I need some carbs. Nameless makes a good point about prebiotic and gut flora I think that is key to most autoimmune conditions.

One thing a mostly meat diet would do is remove a lot of the things that trigger an allergic reaction so in that sense it could be beneficial.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I did VLC, on the edge of nutritional ketosis with nutrient-dense focus (organ meats, greens, seaweed, bone broth, high-fat keto meals like coconut milk and avocados, the whole nine yards - and felt amazing for about a year and a half. Then my body tried to destroy my eyes one by one after I had a one-off meal of sweet potatoes that gut stuck in my uncolonized gut and ulcerated, creating a pus pocket and pain that sent me to the ER (first time in my life! Thought it was my gall bladder. They couldn't find the problem, though, and sent me home. I crapped the mess out six hours after I got home). Anyway, I couldn't blink or look at light without the sensation that someone had punched me in the eye. I went to the eye doctor (I hate doctors, I DON'T go to doctors!) to save my failing vision and he said one more day and I probably would have lost the eye. IT was autoimmune Uveitis, inflammation of the uveum, a layer of the eye. Got home, used the meds, vision saved, then the other eye followed suit, had to treat other eye, too. Going blind is no joke. Took a few months to rehab my dead gut. I just did it with small and increasingly larger amounts of white potatoes, and then sweet potatoes and plantains. By small I mean a bite a day for a week, then two bites a day for a week, scale appropriately. Also, dirty dandelions from my yard for wild bacteria - no idea if that was useful or not, but I did it.

I HATE to say it, because I was once one of the most vocal supporters of nutritional ketosis around here, but it is NOT good for autoimmune conditions in my own experience. Also, labs taken shortly before the episode showed very low WBC numbers, which I was told later are indicative of autoimmune trouble.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

I think it depends on the type of autoimmune condition. I have autoimmune hypothyroid and for me a mostly meat diet would not be good, I need some carbs. Nameless makes a good point about prebiotic and gut flora I think that is key to most autoimmune conditions.

One thing a mostly meat diet would do is remove a lot of the things that trigger an allergic reaction so in that sense it could be beneficial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I did VLC, on the edge of nutritional ketosis with nutrient-dense focus .... Then my body tried to destroy my eyes one by one after I had a one-off meal of sweet potatoes that gut stuck in my uncolonized gut and ulcerated, creating a pus pocket and pain that sent me to the ER ...
    I HATE to say it, because I was once one of the most vocal supporters of nutritional ketosis around here, but it is NOT good for autoimmune conditions in my own experience. Also, labs taken shortly before the episode showed very low WBC numbers, which I was told later are indicative of autoimmune trouble.

Yes, I think removal of the triggers was why the meat diet helped me out so much when I was first dropping grains, etc. My tummy was so aggravated that it just. needed. peace. I also agree that cultivation of a reasonable spectrum of gut flora-- this means making sure they get what they need to eat-- is sensible. Earlier in this thread there are some comments about "Why should we feed the free-loading gut bacteria?", and I thin there are at least two answers to that: a) that we don't know all that they do for/to us and whether those things might not be quite important, and b) because someday we might need to eat a sweet potato and we're really going to want to have the help to digest it. My mostly-meat days were not for ketosis or weight loss or from any nutritional philosophy, just because I wanted to (TMI) eat without immediately triggering diarrhea.

Knifegill, I am SO GLAD you are OK!!!

Spinner, from your TMI bit, have you been tested for SIBO?

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Spinner, from your TMI bit, have you been tested for SIBO?
    I haven't, but fortunately those days are behind me. I'm really doing pretty well now, apart from recent psoriasis issues. I'm quite sure the TMI was just major gluten irritation.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you are looking for a diet to remove allergens, then you could try an all meat diet (very few people are allergic to beef, but some people are allergic to chicken and many more are allergic to eggs, fish and shellfish) for a little while. There are other good elimination diets to try that are a bit more varied than just meat. The point of an elimination diet isn't to live on it forever so it wouldn't really matter that much if it was super low or super high in carbs.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950