Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 500

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 5

  1. #41
    JoanieL's Avatar
    JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    Posts
    8,205
    As goddess is my witness, with my big mouth, someone will surely shoot me before I reach 120.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

    Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

  2. #42
    seaweed's Avatar
    seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,335
    Now that I have a good supplier of locally grown GF meats, I would like to explore a bit more into eating some meat raw.
    all our meat here except chicken and pork is grass fed. the wild hog in my freezer was grass fed tho. feed lots do weird me out. as does the pig "farm" on the way to town that has no visible pigs to be seen. ETA: there is a whole world of raw meat recipes out there. i am very much enjoying all the ones i have tried so far ( bar the raw liver salad which was overkill on the liver flavour )

    summer here. i prefer wild berries to cultivated ones. i am still feeling more inclined to eat meat right now. even avocados are not appealing.

  3. #43
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    all our meat here except chicken and pork is grass fed. the wild hog in my freezer was grass fed tho. feed lots do weird me out. as does the pig "farm" on the way to town that has no visible pigs to be seen. ETA: there is a whole world of raw meat recipes out there. i am very much enjoying all the ones i have tried so far ( bar the raw liver salad which was overkill on the liver flavour )

    summer here. i prefer wild berries to cultivated ones. i am still feeling more inclined to eat meat right now. even avocados are not appealing.
    You should check out the Dirty Carnivore site. They have a whole section of the forum about raw meat. Some very interesting stuff.

    The meat I just bought, 1/2goat, 1/2lamb, and 1/4cow is from a place just north of here. Their primary business is growing high end specialty fruits. So they started keeping a few animals around to eat the fire hazard underbrush but also to eat the tree trimmings and all the spoiled fruit (if a bird pecks at something, it is not salable) plus they provide organic fertilizer along the way. So my meat was out strolling around in an orchard its whole life.

    Also they do all the butchering under the Halal tradition.

    That is meat I might be able to trust enough to eat raw. The stuff in the cooler at Walmart, not so much.

  4. #44
    zoebird's Avatar
    zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I'm not saying this is how you should think, just that you telling me how much you love you veg sounds like me a few months ago. It's possible for ideas to change and for tastes to change.
    And I agreed, by demonstrating my new relationship with fruit. I still love fruit, but I don't "want" it as much anymore, you know? I don't know if that's taste changing or what.

    I also have *very* low tolerance for ice cream these days. I had it about two weeks ago (actually, a sorbetto), and i got brain freeze and a tummy ache. And it was kiddy size. I was like, what? dude. ah well. maybe that's just no longer wanting. LOL

    I think there is also an element of familiarity involved. As in you want what you are used to and know well. That was one of the interesting points along the way on the Shangri-la thread about chain restaurants being able to stimulate a pavlovian appetite response due to their familiarity. Perhaps when something is left out long enough to not even seem familiar anymore, the craving goes away. I find I have lost my taste for chocolate.
    I think it's true. There are articles on the SLD site where he talks about going to a different culture where there aren't "comfort foods" (or known flavors), and so he could eat and still lost weight because the body saw it as 'tasteless' for a long time. Or something like that. So, we definitely adapt.

    When we came here, a lot of our favorite foods are goners. So, we had to develop new favorite foods. It took a while. I'm still not into it (which is why calorie restriction has been easy). Some of it I really like all around (kumara, maori purple potatoes!), and some of it im learning to like (moana -- seafood -- and eating more fish). i've given up pork -- it wasn't working for me. And chicken is very comforting.

    But anyway, yeah. LOL

  5. #45
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Ya, I feel the same way about fruit. I used to have to hold myself back from it but now I see it in the market and it kind of looks like a wax still life display. It's like I don't mentally associate anything with it.

    I had a half a bite of green tea ice cream at a friends birthday the other night and it was almost gaggingly sweet. And Green tea ice cream is known for being not as sweet as most.

    I'm not sure I buy the part in the SLD about foreign foods not having a taste association and therefor he could eat and not gain weight. I think they might not stimulate a person to want to eat as much but calories still count when they hit the tummy. Losing weight on vacation could also have the confounding variable of lots of walking involved.

    I'm glad you're getting into seafood. (I just had a sudden craving for a platter of raw oysters) Pork doesn't work for me either. There is another thread going about that. Jammies posted an interesting WAPF study on blood coagulation after eating pork. It was a small study but it would be interesting to see it widened.

  6. #46
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,540
    I totally agree about the veggie thing. When I was vegetarian I ate a shit-tonne of vegetables every day. I would eat even raw broccoli!! I thought I loved it. Started eating meat again in JUne, and gradually the veggie (and fruit) intake have dwindled until just before Cmas I realised I was rarely eating either of them on a daily basis!

    I agree with the sentiment that in the past I overate on them to fill up, and cos' I felt they were healthy. Now I'm definitely questioned if it's necessary to eat that much. I'm eating prob 3 pieces of fruit/veg a day but it's not for the comfort / full / obligatory factors anymore. I love fruit and enjoy it as a snack / breakfast food. Veggies are refreshing and just break up / enhance the flavours in the rest of my meal.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  7. #47
    seaweed's Avatar
    seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,335
    i had a raw oyster the other night as someone i know had been out on a trawler for the day. i know where to find them near me but they are smaller. i've only ever had oyster cooked twice i think? i had hapuka carpet bag with oysters at a local seafood place once which was yummy. and maybe i got cooked once squid stuffed with oysters and brill? i am so so about pork. no clue on why everyone raves about bacon. wild pork is a whole different other beast and i am all good with that. i love goat. i have some in the freezer i plan to mince up and make some kitfo with.

    i reckon i could make my own icecream with just egg yolks, cream or coconut cream/milk and maybe the tinsiest smidgen of honey and i would maybe enjoy it. which gets me to the question i have which no one has answered so far. do carnivores eat honey?

  8. #48
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I totally agree about the veggie thing. When I was vegetarian I ate a shit-tonne of vegetables every day. I would eat even raw broccoli!! I thought I loved it. Started eating meat again in JUne, and gradually the veggie (and fruit) intake have dwindled until just before Cmas I realised I was rarely eating either of them on a daily basis!

    I agree with the sentiment that in the past I overate on them to fill up, and cos' I felt they were healthy. Now I'm definitely questioned if it's necessary to eat that much. I'm eating prob 3 pieces of fruit/veg a day but it's not for the comfort / full / obligatory factors anymore. I love fruit and enjoy it as a snack / breakfast food. Veggies are refreshing and just break up / enhance the flavours in the rest of my meal.
    Yep, I've been reading the works of J. Stanton of the Gnolls site lately and his saying is, "Eat like a predator, not like prey." If you are grazing on a bunch of greenery, that seems more like prey to me. Also the "The Gnoll Credo" is well worth a read.
    Other flavors to enhance the meat is the whole idea behind the Dirty Carnivore site.

    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i had a raw oyster the other night as someone i know had been out on a trawler for the day. i know where to find them near me but they are smaller. i've only ever had oyster cooked twice i think? i had hapuka carpet bag with oysters at a local seafood place once which was yummy. and maybe i got cooked once squid stuffed with oysters and brill? i am so so about pork. no clue on why everyone raves about bacon. wild pork is a whole different other beast and i am all good with that. i love goat. i have some in the freezer i plan to mince up and make some kitfo with.

    i reckon i could make my own icecream with just egg yolks, cream or coconut cream/milk and maybe the tinsiest smidgen of honey and i would maybe enjoy it. which gets me to the question i have which no one has answered so far. do carnivores eat honey?
    I adore oysters raw when I can get them and smoked in a can as a pantry staple.
    The only kind of pork that tastes good to me is the processed stuff that we all know we really shouldn't be eating. Occasionally I can find a good prosciutto without chemicals and that is yummy. But I would much rather have lamb chops than pork chops.

    Um no, I don't think carnivores eat honey. Maybe that home made ice cream could be a once a year treat on your birthday or something.

    I used to make soft serve ice cream for Dad just by blending raw hwc and frozen fruit in the vitamix so you really wouldn't even need honey.

  9. #49
    greaneto's Avatar
    greaneto is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    london
    Posts
    2
    I live in Alaska and know lots of Inuits, most of them are very unhealthy as they eat SAD. None that I know of eat ancestrally.

  10. #50
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,371
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Ooooh talk meaty to me, Derpy.
    I have something I'd like to place in your broth if you know what I mean
    nihil

Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •