Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 45

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i tell you what is incredibly delicious and that is venison shanks slow roasted. i am not usually a fan of slow roasting anything but i didnt want to waste the shanks so i tried. i would expect moose or caribou to be as good.
    I'm a fan of the slow roasted shanks of most things... especially red meats.
    Lambs, beefs, goat, deer, elk. Ohhh my!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i actual havent tried any other type of roasted shanks. lamb shanks are silly money here as one of those annyoing celebrity chefs got into them once i think. i will ask next time someone home kills anything to save me the shanks. they are usually dog tuckered tho.

mikegee2 is offline Member
    great thread . ANYONE got some "real" links to articles on insulin resistance? Some fact based ones?
    thanks
    Mike

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    You're my hero Paleobird!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by windypasswheeler View Post
    My family hunts moose and caribou. We are also on the local road kill list, troopers call people on the road kill list whenever a large animal is killed on the highway. It sometimes means going out in the middle of the night during atrocious weather conditions to harvest the animal, but it fills the freezer and any unusable meat gets fed to the sled dogs, so the animal is not wasted. We used to give the bones to the dogs, but now after being "enlightened" by primal, I fully utilize the bones. Especially the joints. I got into LC, then moved primal, because of arthritis. So I try to eat the parts of the animal that I hope can help me heal myself. I cook up big batches of joint broth in the pressure cooker, kind of freaks people out. I haven't warmed up to liver, but may try making some pate after reading this thread. Moose heart is a family favorite, best eaten fresh, sliced thin and sauteed with onions.
    Can I come over for dinner?

i tell you what is incredibly delicious and that is venison shanks slow roasted. i am not usually a fan of slow roasting anything but i didnt want to waste the shanks so i tried. i would expect moose or caribou to be as good.
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I'm a fan of the slow roasted shanks of most things... especially red meats.
    Lambs, beefs, goat, deer, elk. Ohhh my!
    Shanks are great. Lots of connective tissue with your meat.

i actual havent tried any other type of roasted shanks. lamb shanks are silly money here as one of those annyoing celebrity chefs got into them once i think. i will ask next time someone home kills anything to save me the shanks. they are usually dog tuckered tho.
    Lucky dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by mikegee2 View Post
    great thread . ANYONE got some "real" links to articles on insulin resistance? Some fact based ones?
    thanks
    Mike
    I would start with the work of Dr. Robert Lustig. He is a pediatrician who specializes in obesity research. He sees diabetic six month old babies. (So much for the "sloth and gluttony" theory of obesity) Here are some youtube lectures to get you started : Sugar: The Bitter Truth - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffoOeW5wZ9s

He also has a great book called "Fat Chance".

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    You're my hero Paleobird!
    Awwwwww. Thank you, sweetums.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 05-16-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Yes, shanks are great. In the past I had used the crock pot, but now I use a pressure cooker. So much faster, and the one I have for canning meat or berries is very large and can accommodate large chunks of meat and bone.

Paleobird Guest
    Yes, shanks are great. In the past I had used the crock pot, but now I use a pressure cooker. So much faster, and the one I have for canning meat or berries is very large and can accommodate large chunks of meat and bone.
    I have just about every kitchen gadget know to humanity except a pressure cooker. I've heard it also makes bone broth more quickly.

I bought my pressure cooker on ebay. If you buy one, might as well go big, that way you have the option to do some preserving. I recommend one without a rubber seal, that's the part that always fails. Look for All-American brand. They are kind of scary to use at first, but once you get comfortable with one it's a great asset to your well stocked kitchen.

PS I love your signature. I've never been well behaved.
    Last edited by windypasswheeler; 05-23-2013 at 07:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Paleobird Guest
    I bought my pressure cooker on ebay. If you buy one, might as well go big, that way you have the option to do some preserving. I recommend one without a rubber seal, that's the part that always fails. Look for All-American brand. They are kind of scary to use at first, but once you get comfortable with one it's a great asset to your well stocked kitchen.

PS I love your signature. I've never been well behaved.
    Why are they scary?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Why are they scary?
    I guess lots of people have heard their great-grandparents talking about somebody who opened a pressure cooker that was still pressurized, back in the 40's.

I love programmable electric pressure cookers. Unfortunately they seem to be good for about a year before they die.

Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast