Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 44

Shop Now
    Just marking this thread so I can find it again. I've been eating more and more meat and eggs, it all makes perfect sense to me. Bone broth, yes! Sure takes the pressure off having to eat veggies all winter long when the nearest grocery store is 150 miles away.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by windypasswheeler View Post
    Just marking this thread so I can find it again. I've been eating more and more meat and eggs, it all makes perfect sense to me. Bone broth, yes! Sure takes the pressure off having to eat veggies all winter long when the nearest grocery store is 150 miles away.
    Grok and Grokelle wouldn't have had a grocery store nearby during the ice ages either. But yet our species survived and thrived.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i have to say tho that i used to mince up the hearts as they were bound to taste euww. then i shot a deer and i had to eat the heart as i had shot it. it was so tasty i was kicking myself that i had given half of it to the dog already. venison hearts are not easy to come by. liver i reckon make pate as the taste changes when it gets cold. i've never tried to disguise liver minced up but i reckon you'd need some strong spices to help as it is a very detectable taste.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i have to say tho that i used to mince up the hearts as they were bound to taste euww. then i shot a deer and i had to eat the heart as i had shot it. it was so tasty i was kicking myself that i had given half of it to the dog already. venison hearts are not easy to come by. liver i reckon make pate as the taste changes when it gets cold. i've never tried to disguise liver minced up but i reckon you'd need some strong spices to help as it is a very detectable taste.
    You would be surprised. It blends right in and all you can taste is the meat.

The USWM blend is only 10% offal while the ElkUSA one is something like 30%. Another way to get some offal in for those who are squeamish is the wide array of sausages USWM sells like liverwurst, branschweiger (sp?) and head cheese.

And cubed up heart meat makes an excellent stew.

my kids have the ability to detect undesirable substances in food that is vastly superior to a good hunting dog's nose. and i would be willing to bet they would find it, they may not ID it as liver, but they would say it tasted funny. unless you put it at some ridiculously low %age such as 99 parts meat to 1 part liver.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

The USWM blend is only 10% offal while the ElkUSA one is something like 30%. Another way to get some offal in for those who are squeamish is the wide array of sausages USWM sells like liverwurst, branschweiger (sp?) and head cheese.

And cubed up heart meat makes an excellent stew.
    That USWM Headcheese is mighty tempting!
    I love a good clean headcheese, all bits and collagen and fat and yum!
    ...not that you can get that in a grocery store.
    But I've had it homemade before, so good!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

This is such a great thread. Just when I was getting bored with MDA and my other LC forum. Today I have eaten bacon, crab, eggs, chicken thighs and kerrygold cheese. Reading this is also motivating me to brew up another batch of moose bone broth. I'm starting to get low on soup bones, making me a little nervous. I have to admit my love for potatoes. Something I can grow myself, so they fit the bill of being local, organic and a whole food.

I mostly lurk, but I notice this thread is full of my favorite posters. So glad there are others out there.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by windypasswheeler View Post
    This is such a great thread. Just when I was getting bored with MDA and my other LC forum. Today I have eaten bacon, crab, eggs, chicken thighs and kerrygold cheese. Reading this is also motivating me to brew up another batch of moose bone broth. I'm starting to get low on soup bones, making me a little nervous. I have to admit my love for potatoes. Something I can grow myself, so they fit the bill of being local, organic and a whole food.

I mostly lurk, but I notice this thread is full of my favorite posters. So glad there are others out there.
    Where do you get moose bones? That sounds great. Do you hunt?

My family hunts moose and caribou. We are also on the local road kill list, troopers call people on the road kill list whenever a large animal is killed on the highway. It sometimes means going out in the middle of the night during atrocious weather conditions to harvest the animal, but it fills the freezer and any unusable meat gets fed to the sled dogs, so the animal is not wasted. We used to give the bones to the dogs, but now after being "enlightened" by primal, I fully utilize the bones. Especially the joints. I got into LC, then moved primal, because of arthritis. So I try to eat the parts of the animal that I hope can help me heal myself. I cook up big batches of joint broth in the pressure cooker, kind of freaks people out. I haven't warmed up to liver, but may try making some pate after reading this thread. Moose heart is a family favorite, best eaten fresh, sliced thin and sauteed with onions.

....but now after being "enlightened" by primal, I fully utilize the bones. Especially the joints.
    i tell you what is incredibly delicious and that is venison shanks slow roasted. i am not usually a fan of slow roasting anything but i didnt want to waste the shanks so i tried. i would expect moose or caribou to be as good.

Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast