Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 43

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I've been a little obsessed with BAS lately... I think it's the warm weather.

Pretty much every night along side my MEAT.
    But it's just because I really, really, them... the cold, crunchy, sweet romain, the tomato, bacon crumbles, the super-fatty and a bit pungent blue cheese dressing. Sometimes avocado too.
    It's magical BLT+ blue cheese flavor.
    Piles of it!
    LOL

Not a healthy salad by CW standards, but SO good!
    What do they know anyway.

Also... have you used the dog dinner ground meat from elkusa.com?
    The organ to meat ratio is much higher in that than the USWM brand, and it's much leaner.
    I'm trying to figure out if my husband would dig in his heels if I used it.
    He isn't an organ fan...
    Maybe mixing the really fatty USWM grind with some of the elkusa would come out better for him.
    I also wonder about their tongues being mixed in... do they grind them in "skin" on? And would that texture be noticeable?
    I may just have to make an order and suss it out myself.
    Even the "venison smorgasboard" sounds good to me!
    And it's basically got everything in it.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I've been a little obsessed with BAS lately... I think it's the warm weather.
    Not a healthy salad by CW standards, but SO good! What do they know anyway.

Also... have you used the dog dinner ground meat from elkusa.com?
    The organ to meat ratio is much higher in that than the USWM brand, and it's much leaner.

I also wonder about their tongues being mixed in... do they grind them in "skin" on? And would that texture be noticeable?
    I may just have to make an order and suss it out myself.
    Even the "venison smorgasboard" sounds good to me!
    And it's basically got everything in it.
    Yep, I've been on a fruit kick since the weather has been warming up. Berries, kumquats, grapefruit.

The ElkUSA petburger is a higher percentage of offal and it's leaner but you can't taste the offal at all. I'm not sure if the skin is still on the tongue or not but I have never run across any recognizable taste bud bits.

I kind of like the fattier USWM petburger. But if someone wasn't a fan of fat, the ElkUSA might be better. They were out of stock on it for a while and so I bought a huge bulk order from USWM but I still like both.

egrok is offline Member
    I came across this documentary about plants and I thought you might find it interesting.
    Video: What Plants Talk About | Watch Nature Online | PBS Video
    Started eating Primal in October 2011.
    Started lifting heavy things on October 26, 2012.
    Started sugar detox: November 12, 2012
    [may or may not have been purposely before Thanksgiving]

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Rawr!!!

Steakandeggz!!!

Rawr!!!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Rawr!!!
    Steakandeggz!!!
    Rawr!!!
    Hah! I love all the new carnivores that thread is producing. Even if people don't choose to continue to eat that way indefinitely, I think it is getting some people past the societal conditioning that veggies are somehow necessary for health.

Rawr to you too, sweetie.

s0meguy is offline Junior Member
    A meat only diet is very interesting to me, but I hate the organs. I really tried. Brains, heart, kidneys, liver the whole shabang. Even testicles lol (that was a prank from my father in law - but they're actually normal food in some parts of the world) I hated all of it. Ate it at meat restaurants too so it wasn't my cooking. I just hate the texture, and for most of them the taste.

Currently, I eat one decent sized portion of meat every day, cooked in home rendered beef tallow or pig bacon grease, along with some fruits I like and that are available like oranges, apples and kiwis. The idea is vitamins and other nutrients from that. I eat veggies probably one day a week on average, if not less. Most of the time it's broccoli (which I hate, but eat because it's supposed to be nutrient dense and I don't eat many veggies otherwise), and sometimes I use red bell peppers as snack food. My meat is mostly composed of 4-5 different cuts from cows, pigs and sometimes chicken from a butcher that keeps his animals outside and grazing, barring extreme weather, and the animals get organic feed. He's not very expensive though, which I think is because he controls the entire production chain. He grows what his animals consume, so no markups. I think I hit jackpot with that butcher. And a decent serving of fish every week just because I'm afraid I'm missing some nutrients sometimes and I need to diversify. I would live without fish if I didn't feel like I had to eat it.

It would be nice to stop having to worry about the vegs and fish, and only eat the small few that I like sporadically when I feel like it. And even though I like the fruit, I think I'd enjoy it more to not be subject to sugar cravings.

I would love to have a meat only diet, but I'm not sure about how feasible that is for me. I'm a student and always on a budget, so I mostly eat the cheaper cuts. Organs are out. Unless there's some cooking methods that completely change their texture.

Anyway, how important do you think it is to eat a large variety of meat? Are organs absolutely necessary nutrients wise (on a meat only diet), and what about red meat? I've heard it said it's essential in a diet like this, but its more expensive, a factor for me.

PS. Sorry I didn't have the time to read through the entire thread.
    Last edited by s0meguy; 05-13-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Baconoholic is offline Junior Member
    I think that the only argument against going 100% meat is the amount of protein you'll be consuming. At most, your body can digest 35% of its calories from protein. Apart from that the protein will become toxic. If you do still want to do this, you should as fatty a cut of meat as possible.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    you can mince heart up and put it in with steak mince. that hides the taste. bone broth is good too for nutrients.

s0meguy is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    you can mince heart up and put it in with steak mince. that hides the taste. bone broth is good too for nutrients.
    Oh, that's a great idea! Just mix it all with my minced beef. Great for eggplant lasagna and meatballs.
    Last edited by s0meguy; 05-13-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    There are a couple of online retailers that sell ground meat mixed with offal in their petfood sections. If you can get past that psychologically, they are delicious. My favorites are US Wellness Meats and ElkUSA.com

I second the bone broth idea.

I would not recommend doing away with seafood entirely however. Even if it's not your favorite, try to get some in every week. Or try some new (to you) varieties and you may find some you like. If nothing else eat a can of sardines.

Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast