Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 4

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Is it "carnivorousness" or "carnivory?" The grammar Nazi in me needs to know.

Zach is offline Banned
    Im eating exactly the opposite as you, cool!

Good luck though, should be interesting. That Bear was one weird fella.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kata View Post
    Is it "carnivorousness" or "carnivory?" The grammar Nazi in me needs to know.
    Whenever I write carnivory my spell checker objects so I went with carnivorousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Im eating exactly the opposite as you, cool!
    Good luck though, should be interesting. That Bear was one weird fella.
    So, what else is new? But yeah, The Bear was quite a character. Did you know that the Steely Dan song "Kid Charlemagne" was about him? Are you old enough to remember Steely Dan?

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    What is Steely Dan

I ate a piece of meat today, Paleobird
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    But you are an incredibly fit and healthy person and, being a yoga teacher, you associate with all kinds of other fit and health conscious people (a lot of the yoga "types" I've known area also vegetarian if you'll forgive the stereotype). So there is probably an emphasis on veg, kids with celery sticks instead of crackers in their lunches, etc. This is the world I live in too. My friends are fit and go hiking, cycling, etc.
    It's really weird, actually. The emphasis in my circles is on bread.

Our largest circle is Steiner, and they are bread-making fiends. Some of them do gluten free, others are WAPF-styled bread makers. Making crackers is a big deal, too. So, they are more likely to go this route.

hanging out with other americans, there is a large kiwi-fied version of the SAD for kids. Lots of white bread, rice crackers, and odd little junky foods. Dried fruit. Grapes are very popular. hummus and dip, too, sometimes.

So, it's interesting. But, you know, I'm capable of having my own ideas about what is healthy.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I ate a piece of meat today, Paleobird
    Ooooh talk meaty to me, Derpy.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    So, it's interesting. But, you know, I'm capable of having my own ideas about what is healthy.
    I'm not saying this is how you should think, just that you telling me how much you love you veg sounds like me a few months ago. It's possible for ideas to change and for tastes to change. I think there is also an element of familiarity involved. As in you want what you are used to and know well. That was one of the interesting points along the way on the Shangri-la thread about chain restaurants being able to stimulate a pavlovian appetite response due to their familiarity. Perhaps when something is left out long enough to not even seem familiar anymore, the craving goes away. I find I have lost my taste for chocolate.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 01-16-2013 at 08:41 PM.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    made it thru day 9 of carnivory here even if i can't spell it properly. i lost my taste for chocolate after i really did ditch all the grains and sugar and no cheats or paleo sex with pants on foods. beef tastes sweet to me now. currently i am dabbling in a mix of cooked and raw carnivory since i have always liked raw meat and fish. still eating eggs, dairy in the form of cream and brie. i'm eating seafood at least every other day and evening up my 03 and 06 fat consumption with fish oil. just coz. i started off doing a random week of carnivory as it was something i wanted to do this year for an experiment. i had ended up with a day by accident all carnivore as i had been ill and i kept going. so... very interesting to read the links. all i can say so far is i feel good. my ability to lift at the gym hasnt been compromised. i am thinking alot clearer too. time will tell but right now i am going to keep going for 2 weeks to see how i go.

Paleobird Guest
    Yes, the lamb chops I had for dinner really tasted sweet. I lost the taste for chocolate after I quit using any stevia.

Now that I have a good supplier of locally grown GF meats, I would like to explore a bit more into eating some meat raw. I figure my O3/O6 ratio is doing fine with no bad oils and only GF meats plus lots of sea food in my diet so I don't even bother with any fish oil. My idea of fish oil supplement is a can of sardines. I love salmon roe.

For me too it has been something that just happened, not any regulation I imposed on myself. I say as long as it feels right, why not?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    So the carnivorous diet I would construct for myself would be “dirty” not pure. Meat centered buy not exclusively meat. Of all the experts, it comes closest to what Nora is saying in "Primal Body, Primal Mind".

I would include the not “strictly plant” plants because I love shrooms and seaweed salad.

Dairy would definitely be in as well. You can pry my mascarpone from my cold dead hands.

Some plants that are high in fat would still be in such as avocados, coconut products, and an occasional splurge on macadamia nuts.

Things like onion and garlic are included as condiments. And I’m not giving up my Mexican salsas.

A seasonal splurge such as home grown berries or a peach picked off my neighbor’s tree would be fine too (Dr. Georgia Ede on her website Diagnosis Diet : Where Nutrition Meets Common Sense (Nutrition Science Meets Common Sense | Dr. Georgia Ede | Diagnosis: Diet) has some very interesting things to say about the relative safety of fruits vs veggies in our diets.

If there is any vegetation not listed above that I actually like in its natural condition (not just as a dip or butter delivery device) then I will have some. The only ones that come to mind, no matter how hard I think, are bell peppers and maybe asparagus. Nah! I can take or leave the asparagus. Bell peppers are more of a condiment/decoration
    I don't think that's disordered eating at all. In fact I could probably eat like during all the warm months. I do like my spuds and squashes come the cold months. And giving up cheese unless it makes one sick is positively uncivilized (boucherondin is my current cheese love).

We get about 70-100 years to enjoy it all, and if this is what makes you feel better, then go for it. I wish for you seizure-free days aplenty.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I don't think that's disordered eating at all. In fact I could probably eat like during all the warm months. I do like my spuds and squashes come the cold months. And giving up cheese unless it makes one sick is positively uncivilized (boucherondin is my current cheese love).

We get about 70-100 years to enjoy it all, and if this is what makes you feel better, then go for it. I wish for you seizure-free days aplenty.
    Thank you, Joanie. I am aiming for more like 120-150 years however.

Somehow I think I would have more longing for something like berries during the summer. Right now I just want meat with a side order of meat.

Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast