Page 38 of 46 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 38

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    But if I eat veggies for a couple of days in a row I really don't feel well. It seems like all those microbes Peter was talking about have a party and start multiplying and taking over my digestive system. I just feel lighter without them. It's my intestine after all. Why should I have to carry them around?
    +1. Love this. My experience, too.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid Space View Post
    Hi Paleobird!

Your thread is fascinating. Could you elaborate more on the quoted concept though?
    Hi PB,

I'll take this one if you don't mind, but feel free to add additional stuff if you want.

Lucid, you've heard the term "you are what you eat" correct? Well, this holds true for all animals, not just humans.

Now cows and other ruminants like bison and lamb, can process grass as humans cannot. However, upon eating this grass, their body uses it to provide all of the fule and nutrients it needs to survive. The grass it eats makes up the nutrition present in the animal's body.

So, how does a human get more "grass" into his diet? He eats grass-fed meats!

The same concept holds true for other animals too. Whatever they ingest (good or bad), turns into nutrients (or anti-nutrients) in their body, and when we eat them, we get those for ourselves. It's part of why eating grass-fed/pastured animals is so beneficial as opposed to grain-fed/factory raised on soy and stuff.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 04-07-2013 at 09:12 PM.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    If anyone cares I'm still going strong in the carnivorousness. I have had a couple of instances where I ate a bunch of veggies due to a social situation (a weekend spent with only somewhat pescatarian friends) and I really noticed the difference. I felt all stopped up digestively and bloated.
    Yes, we care, Paleobird, and we wish you the greatest success. If you succeed perhaps we will too, when we get there.

I hear you're only eating one meal a day. Can you give us some sample meals?

Lucid Space is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Hi PB,

I'll take this one if you don't mind, but feel free to add additional stuff if you want.

Lucid, you've heard the term "you are what you eat" correct? Well, this holds true for all animals, not just humans.

Now cows and other ruminants like bison and lamb, can process grass as humans cannot. However, upon eating this grass, their body uses it to provide all of the fule and nutrients it needs to survive. The grass it eats makes up the nutrition present in the animal's body.

The same concept holds true for other animals too. Whatever they ingest (good or bad), turns into nutrients (or anti-nutrients) in their body, and when we eat them, we get those for ourselves. It's part of why eating grass-fed/pastured animals is so beneficial as opposed to grain-fed/factory raised on soy and stuff.
    Drumroll, yes I have heard that quote. It's a good rule of thumb.

I'll add a few specifics to help make it more clear about the grass relationship with meats:

Grass fed farm animals (and wild game) are healthier because the animals naturally produces DHA and EPA fats (omega-3's) from consuming the ALA (in the grasses, clovers etc.). The majority of Americans get plenty of omega-6 and not enough omega-3. The quality of the meats have gone down over time as you are well aware of I'm sure. The production has increased and the animal's food supply also got worse, and became heavily grain based. Then, the ratio of these fats became majorly skewed. (related to their body not being able to produce DHA and EPA)

Anyway, my previous question was about the phytochemicals, aka antioxidants. Things consumed, do change by it's consumer, obviously. So, the grass conversion to fat is a good example. Using that logic, if an animal consumed a fruit....hypothetically, let's say a pineapple, would the bromelain get to me in the same way, as the antioxidant liver-detoxing anti inflammatory property that it is, if I was to consume the meat of the animal who ate it instead? My guess is no on that one.
    Last edited by Lucid Space; 04-07-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: I like to write.
    We are like cattle, blocked in by industrial confines. Walking down aisle seven, I grab my wheat flakes like a foddered bovine. ~lucid space

All that being said, ^ I must state that I'm happy to be surrounded by people encouraging meat consumption. I was on the soy train for a while, while I attempted to be a veg. Soy for food: nothing truly good there from what I've read. My body was craving meat. Also, I'm an O blood type, and for what it's worth, I'm supposed to eat lots of meat! haha Now, I have no idea the science on all of that but I would like to learn more about it.

Anyone else here, or PB, in the know about the blood type diet? I believe that O is the most primitive blood type....
    We are like cattle, blocked in by industrial confines. Walking down aisle seven, I grab my wheat flakes like a foddered bovine. ~lucid space

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Lucid,

There are lots of vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals that possess antioxidant properties. If they change from one to another, this isn't really an issue as an antioxidant is an antioxidant regardless.

One good example is the omega-3 conversion you mentioned above. Humans cannot very efficiently convert ALA (found in plants) but cows can. Then we eat the cows who have converted this into a form we can use more readily. Omega-3 fats have been shown to have a pronounced antioxidant effect in humans. Even though we don't get it in the same form as in the grass, we in fact get a net BONUS by having this antioxidant change forms in the animal.

So, things change form in the animal, yes, but sometimes, this change can be to our benefit. Even if we don't get EVERY constituent that is found in the grass directly, we get the benefits that they were supposed to have upon consumption in a way we couldn't have had we eaten the grass ourselves.

Drumroll,

Thanks, I see we're on the same page with this really. I guess where my perception is different is that there are certain anti-cancer properties in some of the 'super foods', that can't be ingested any other way. Well, sure, people could buy the supplements, like pomegranate capsules or something, but I just buy the 100% pure POM juice, (no sugar). I use it to flavor fresh water, and squeeze a little lemon in it too. Very alkaline drink. Yes, the meats (good meats) are very important, but I worry about acidosis due to the endless research showing that low level acidity of the blood over many years of life, leads to disease processes like coronary artery disease, and cancers.

Ultimately, it's all about balance. If we are what we eat, then I don't want to just be a piece of meat, for I also evolved from the ground. We're all made of star stuff, right?
    Last edited by Lucid Space; 04-07-2013 at 10:25 PM. Reason: horrid run-on sentence lol

Paleobird Guest
    Your thread is fascinating. Could you elaborate more on the quoted concept though?
    Hi PB,

Thanks, Drumroll. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Yes, we care, Paleobird, and we wish you the greatest success. If you succeed perhaps we will too, when we get there.
    I hear you're only eating one meal a day. Can you give us some sample meals?
    Thank you. Well I usually make a pot of Teeccino or Rooibos in the morning and have that with or without a splash of coconut milk during the day. Then dinner is a feast. Big old hunk of either meat or seafood with some veggies as flavor enhancers like a steak with mushrooms and onions. Or a USWM Petburger meatloaf made with mexican salsa. Today there is a chuck roast cooking in the crock pot with a bit of my home made broth, onions, garlic, and just a splash of calvados.

my previous question was about the phytochemicals, aka antioxidants. Things consumed, do change by it's consumer, obviously. So, the grass conversion to fat is a good example. Using that logic, if an animal consumed a fruit....hypothetically, let's say a pineapple, would the bromelain get to me in the same way, as the antioxidant liver-detoxing anti inflammatory property that it is, if I was to consume the meat of the animal who ate it instead? My guess is no on that one.
    All that being said, ^ I must state that I'm happy to be surrounded by people encouraging meat consumption. I was on the soy train for a while, while I attempted to be a veg. Soy for food: nothing truly good there from what I've read. My body was craving meat. Also, I'm an O blood type, and for what it's worth, I'm supposed to eat lots of meat! haha Now, I have no idea the science on all of that but I would like to learn more about it.
    Anyone else here, or PB, in the know about the blood type diet? I believe that O is the most primitive blood type....
    There are lots of vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals that possess antioxidant properties. If they change from one to another, this isn't really an issue as an antioxidant is an antioxidant regardless.

One good example is the omega-3 conversion you mentioned above. Humans cannot very efficiently convert ALA (found in plants) but cows can. Then we eat the cows who have converted this into a form we can use more readily. Omega-3 fats have been shown to have a pronounced antioxidant effect in humans. Even though we don't get it in the same form as in the grass, we in fact get a net BONUS by having this antioxidant change forms in the animal.

So, things change form in the animal, yes, but sometimes, this change can be to our benefit. Even if we don't get EVERY constituent that is found in the grass directly, we get the benefits that they were supposed to have upon consumption in a way we couldn't have had we eaten the grass ourselves.
    I just should let Drumroll be my official spokesperson. This^^ plus, Lucid, the blood type diet is pseudo-scientific nonsense that has been debunked many times around here and elsewhere. I am very glad, however that you have seen the light on soy not being fit for human consumption. I wish I had done that before getting breast cancer.

Thanks, I see we're on the same page with this really. I guess where my perception is different is that there are certain anti-cancer properties in some of the 'super foods', that can't be ingested any other way. Well, sure, people could buy the supplements, like pomegranate capsules or something, but I just buy the 100% pure POM juice, (no sugar). I use it to flavor fresh water, and squeeze a little lemon in it too. Very alkaline drink. Yes, the meats (good meats) are very important, but I worry about acidosis due to the endless research showing that low level acidity of the blood over many years of life, leads to disease processes like coronary artery disease, and cancers.
    Please do some more research before you buy that whole acidity hype. First of all, everything you eat makes its first stop in a vat of hydrochloric acid, aka your stomach. You need that acidity to break down your food. Acidity is not inherently bad. The body tightly controls your blood PH. Nothing you eat is going to have any effect on that. What is measured is urine PH which fluctuates as the body does its job. So meat does NOT make your body acidic, it makes your urine a tiny bit more acidic for a little while. Big difference.

Coming from a vegetarian background, I can see that you have been exposed to too much vegan propaganda for too long. Lots of us here have wandered down that tangent in life and understand.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    +1. Love this. My experience, too.
    Everyone keeps telling you to keep a flourishing gut biome so that you can digest vegetable matter well. To me that sounds like bringing home food to feed a billion or so unwanted or needed housepets. Eat your kimchi so you can digest your kale. Um, personally I'll take seconds on the potroast, hold the kale and the kimchi.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Everyone keeps telling you to keep a flourishing gut biome so that you can digest vegetable matter well. To me that sounds like bringing home food to feed a billion or so unwanted or needed housepets. Eat your kimchi so you can digest your kale. Um, personally I'll take seconds on the potroast, hold the kale and the kimchi.
    Well said. My pup eats enough, thank you!

I'm thinking of starting an "I HATE Kale thread". Think I'll be kicked out MDA for trolling?

Page 38 of 46 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast