Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 37

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    PB keep us updated on how you're doing on this diet!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    today i am making a curry with organs. i got someone to cut the tongue out of the homekilled sheep i helped unload off the truck and got the kidneys and liver. i defrosted part of the deer heart. so what my plan is, is to make the filling for umble pie but add coconut milk and spices to the sauce.
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    I do this regularly for my breakfast - make up a batch to last a couple of weeks. Quantities depend on quantities of meat. Basic curry is to puree onions, garlic and ginger (add a bit of water to facilitate). Heat oil (I really like red palm oil for this but ghee, lard or coconut oil are good) and frying puree on lowish heat until it is thoroughly cooked and the oil separates. It should sizzle. Add turmeric and chilli powder and fry for a minute or two then add ground coriander and cumin and fry for another minute. Add the diced organs, excepting the liver. Add diced tomatoes and water to cover. Cook for two or three hours, checking there is enough water and it isn't sticking to the bottom. Should have a thick gravy. Add diced liver cook for 5 min (Iactually turn off the heat at this point as the reheating in the microwave is enough to cook the liver)
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    yours looks a bit more complicated than mine. i just fried some butter and a chopped leek as i was given one from someone's garden the other day. chucked in some chunks of liver and the kidneys. fried it for a while. pulled the organs out and chopped them up. threw them back in with the preboiled and chopped tongue ( i peeled it first ) and the heart. some coconut milk. some venison broth and some red curry paste and a tsp of vinegar. i will try to be more adventurous next time.

kina omlette for lunch tho so i am off to bash open some kina with a hammer soon. i will reheat the curry for dinner.
    You gys are making me hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyorange View Post
    PB keep us updated on how you're doing on this diet!
    Doing well. Things have been a little crazy in my life lately due to selling my house and looking for an apartment to move into. I find that I am only eating once a day with maybe a little am snack like some kefir. The extra time spent not eating comes in handy.

ulnauy is offline Member
    Today I'm starting my steak & eggs week where I eat nothing but.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ulnauy View Post
    Today I'm starting my steak & eggs week where I eat nothing but.
    Oooh, that sounds good.
    I'm having pate' and cheese for dinner because the roast I wanted to slow cook was still frozen in the middle. Oh well. That is for tomorrow.

I had a houseguest here for a couple of weeks who is doing her darnedest to lose some weight without success. She was always making big salads and eating lots of celery. I had some veggies that she made just to be polite but I really feel better without all that fibrous stuff. It seems like the hunger signals are more clear when all the veggie "noise" is eliminated from the diet. I feel real physiological hunger only when really needed and have no desire for munchies other times.

Paleobird Guest
    Neckhammer sent me this great link to the Hyperlipid site where Peter gives a perfect visual aid to what my diet is all about.

Hyperlipid: Fruit and vegetables

Dr. Georgia Ede on her Diagnosis : Diet blog refers to her diet as the MM for Mostly Meat diet. I think I will call mine "The Things My Dog Likes To Eat Too Diet". Seriously. My dog likes all animal product plus high fat fruits and nuts and will even eat berries. He also has no problem with condiment veggies such as onions, garlic and even hot peppers. Being a Mexican dog, those make him feel right at home.

ulnauy is offline Member
    Oranges, cabbage, and carrots... Yuck. That is the worst combo of plants I can imagine.

I like veggies for adding crunchy texture to other foods — it's hard to get that crunchiness after cutting out grains. I suppose nuts are crunchy but I don't like the combo of meat and nuts, or potatoes and nuts, or eggs and nuts, or really nuts with anything.

I'm on day 2 of Steak&Eggs. Hasn't been long enough to feel any difference. I admit I snuck some onions in there.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I needed to pop in here so I can feel less guilty about my mostly meat diet. (She says as she finishes up chopping up some vegetables for a soup, after a week of mostly no vegetables.)

P.S. Meat and nuts is really good. I get pork cutlets and I scramble one egg, dip the cutlets in the egg, then dredge the cutlets in some almonds that I've pulverized in my food processor and added a little tapioca starch, paprika, salt and pepper. It could probably work without the tapioca starch. I think this would be a nice coating for fish, too.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Crunchiness= Chicharones.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Paleobird Guest
    Bringing this thread back to point out this great article by Dr. Georgia Ede about the history of carnivorous diets.

The History of All-Meat Diets » Diagnosis: Diet

If anyone cares I'm still going strong in the carnivorousness. I have had a couple of instances where I ate a bunch of veggies due to a social situation (a weekend spent with only somewhat pescatarian friends) and I really noticed the difference. I felt all stopped up digestively and bloated.

It's not a problem if I have say one isolated salad (because it comes with a restaurant dinner). But if I eat veggies for a couple of days in a row I really don't feel well. It seems like all those microbes Peter was talking about have a party and start multiplying and taking over my digestive system. I just feel lighter without them. It's my intestine after all. Why should I have to carry them around?

Lucid Space is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Of course not. The phytonutrients have been processed into things we can better absorb. I meant we were still getting the benefit from them, just using the cow as the "middleman". Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
    Hi Paleobird!

Your thread is fascinating. Could you elaborate more on the quoted concept though?
    We are like cattle, blocked in by industrial confines. Walking down aisle seven, I grab my wheat flakes like a foddered bovine. ~lucid space

Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast