Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 36

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    hell yeah! what was your curry like PB? and what meat did you use? i just eat my curries like stews. i never did like rice and they just taste wrong with OMG potatoes or that cauliflower rice stuff. japanese curry is ok with steamed veges but i prefer them generally as a stew
    That was a lamb curry but next time I'm doing goat. Yeah, mine end up being like a stew in a bowl too.

Does anybody besides me ever "re-cycle" the cooking juices from one dish to the next even if they aren't the same animal? E.g. the juices off of a beef pot roast going in with slow cooker lamb shanks the next time.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i did that with the juices off the roast venison into the chicken last night. gave it a bit more flavour.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Does anybody besides me ever "re-cycle" the cooking juices from one dish to the next even if they aren't the same animal?
    absolutely PB. Best tastes ever !!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    That was a lamb curry but next time I'm doing goat. Yeah, mine end up being like a stew in a bowl too.

Does anybody besides me ever "re-cycle" the cooking juices from one dish to the next even if they aren't the same animal? E.g. the juices off of a beef pot roast going in with slow cooker lamb shanks the next time.
    I make a lamb tagine using home-made fish stock on Saturday. Not the least bit fishy in flavour. Primal has made cooking with lamb so much easier. I like to use a shoulder for flavour, tenderness and all of the gelatin. Used to be a pain removing the bone and most of the fat then cubing. These days I just cut into three at the joints then cut off any large chunks of meat. My boning knife feels unloved

However, my weekend culinary triumph was last night. Poached a whole fish in another batch of fish stock with some salt, onions, tomato and fennel for flavour. Removed the fish to the oven to keep warm then reduced the stock with 300ml cream until the sauce thickened. I think that was one of the five best sauces I've ever made
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Its interesting that you mention a tangine. I am wondering if it is all the rage over here in NZ at present? I had never heard of them until a few months ago, and about 4 different friends have bought them recently.
    I haven't succumbed as yet - am enjoying my crock pot and cast iron dutch oven - but interesting
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

My boning knife feels unloved
    my boning knife never feels unloved. altho i sometimes just use a meat cleaver and a hammer and cut the legs in half literally in the middle of the bone. precision butchery at its best! i always boil up the bones to make broth too. i axe them up as well so as the marrow can get out.

i dont have a tagine but my mum had a pot when i was a kid that i would love to get my hands on. it was made out of stone and my uncle had got it from the sudan for her.

interesting combo of fish and lamb. i find with my fish broths, it depends which fish i used as to how strong it is. i interchange rumminant broths when i am cooking and sometime use chicken not with chicken or chicken with the more delicate shell fish.

Paleobird Guest
    i did that with the juices off the roast venison into the chicken last night. gave it a bit more flavour.
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    absolutely PB. Best tastes ever !!!!!!
    Good to know I'm not weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    I make a lamb tagine using home-made fish stock on Saturday. Not the least bit fishy in flavour. Primal has made cooking with lamb so much easier. I like to use a shoulder for flavour, tenderness and all of the gelatin. Used to be a pain removing the bone and most of the fat then cubing. These days I just cut into three at the joints then cut off any large chunks of meat. My boning knife feels unloved

However, my weekend culinary triumph was last night. Poached a whole fish in another batch of fish stock with some salt, onions, tomato and fennel for flavour. Removed the fish to the oven to keep warm then reduced the stock with 300ml cream until the sauce thickened. I think that was one of the five best sauces I've ever made
    That fish sounds wonderful. I'm doing a lot of reduction sauces lately too.
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Its interesting that you mention a tangine. I am wondering if it is all the rage over here in NZ at present? I had never heard of them until a few months ago, and about 4 different friends have bought them recently.
    I haven't succumbed as yet - am enjoying my crock pot and cast iron dutch oven - but interesting
    I had to google it to find out what you all are talking about. Looks like a middle eastern crock pot.

my boning knife never feels unloved. altho i sometimes just use a meat cleaver and a hammer and cut the legs in half literally in the middle of the bone. precision butchery at its best! i always boil up the bones to make broth too. i axe them up as well so as the marrow can get out.

i dont have a tagine but my mum had a pot when i was a kid that i would love to get my hands on. it was made out of stone and my uncle had got it from the sudan for her.

interesting combo of fish and lamb. i find with my fish broths, it depends which fish i used as to how strong it is. i interchange rumminant broths when i am cooking and sometime use chicken not with chicken or chicken with the more delicate shell fish.
    That is an interesting combo.

today i am making a curry with organs. i got someone to cut the tongue out of the homekilled sheep i helped unload off the truck and got the kidneys and liver. i defrosted part of the deer heart. so what my plan is, is to make the filling for umble pie but add coconut milk and spices to the sauce.

peril is offline Senior Member
    today i am making a curry with organs. i got someone to cut the tongue out of the homekilled sheep i helped unload off the truck and got the kidneys and liver. i defrosted part of the deer heart. so what my plan is, is to make the filling for umble pie but add coconut milk and spices to the sauce.
    I do this regularly for my breakfast - make up a batch to last a couple of weeks. Quantities depend on quantities of meat. Basic curry is to puree onions, garlic and ginger (add a bit of water to facilitate). Heat oil (I really like red palm oil for this but ghee, lard or coconut oil are good) and frying puree on lowish heat until it is thoroughly cooked and the oil separates. It should sizzle. Add turmeric and chilli powder and fry for a minute or two then add ground coriander and cumin and fry for another minute. Add the diced organs, excepting the liver. Add diced tomatoes and water to cover. Cook for two or three hours, checking there is enough water and it isn't sticking to the bottom. Should have a thick gravy. Add diced liver cook for 5 min (Iactually turn off the heat at this point as the reheating in the microwave is enough to cook the liver)
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

PrimalCon New York
    yours looks a bit more complicated than mine. i just fried some butter and a chopped leek as i was given one from someone's garden the other day. chucked in some chunks of liver and the kidneys. fried it for a while. pulled the organs out and chopped them up. threw them back in with the preboiled and chopped tongue ( i peeled it first ) and the heart. some coconut milk. some venison broth and some red curry paste and a tsp of vinegar. i will try to be more adventurous next time.

kina omlette for lunch tho so i am off to bash open some kina with a hammer soon. i will reheat the curry for dinner.

Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast