Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 32

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    As for muttonbird...almost looks like a pigeon but I assume bigger. If seabird---are they similar to a gull or pelican?
    the big ones are sooty shearwater shags i think. mutton birds that you eat are the chicks out the burrows before they fledge. apparently the big ones arent very tasty. i have seen them way out at sea when we have been out fishing. they overwinter in japan somewhere i think. shags are a type of cormorant which is why island of the blue dolphins made me think of them.

That always makes me mad - when civilization finds some happy thing and captures it, destroys it, etc.
    yes it is pretty grim Juana Maria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Paleobird Guest
    Well, last night I had a two for one coupon so I decided to try the new grass fed upscale burger joint in town called The Burger Lounge.
    I got a boar burger and a bison burger. I ended up having some of my friend's quinoa salad that she couldn't finish but was too goo to toss.

i have never liked quinoa. i did go to the world's best seafood restruant with the kids for lunch yesterday. all you usually get is fish and shellfish and a few veges as decoration so it is pretty carnivorous. i ate the tinsy bit of steamed brocolli with all the anchovy butter which came with the fish. in public i do need to be mindful when i am out with a stack of small children and i am the one not eating veges. i bunked breakfast and had some MCT oil instead as i was training. mug of pork broth in a flask for after then came home and had kina and eggs for lunch. i got 4 kina when i was out diving the other day. i am finding carnivoring makes me far more into hunting.

Paleobird Guest
    I'm not much of a quinoa fan either but this particular salad had a very nice dressing on it. Today I had a salmon omelet for my main meal with a little nibble of labne in the mid morning. There were onions, garlic and some avocado in the mix. So good. I seem to be developing that pattern of about 1.5 meals per day.

And I made a meatloaf for tomorrow that came out really good. I used the US Wellness meats Petburger which is wonderfully fatty beef mixed with ground liver and heart. There was a lot of oil that cooked off the loaf around it in the pan that I then turned into gravy with the addition of a little water chestnut powder. Good stuff.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Well I got my liver PB, but I couldn't bring myself to make the pate LOL. Maybe next time? I really do want to try it, but it kinda made me squeamish lol.
    My butcher minced up lambs fry with chicken breast and thigh for my pets. Plus ive given them some of the liver whole, and they seemed to like it.
    I think maybe I could do a meatloaf like yours if the bits are already minced up. I am working up to it

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Be brave. Liver pate is awesome. I make up a whole batch and then freeze it in single-serving yoghurt pots for work lunches.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

i have some ground venison and venison heart in the fridge right now that has some horopito and garlic minced into it. i was gonna make sausages but i was thinking meat loaf instead or even meatza. i've been nibbling at it raw which is quite nice. i got given a couple of decent sized abalone today as some of the guys went out. and i got another couple of kina myself on my low tide snorkel so back to too many choices of what to eat!

just do it ayla. if you eat meat, you can eat liver. it is actual the best bit. slice it up thinly and medium rare fry it in butter with some garlic and some thyme. whizz it in the blender with more melted butter, some cream and some bourbon or brandy if you have it. put some salt and pepper in. let it get completely cold in the fridge and then eat it. totally changes the taste. and it is then super yummy.

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    some bourbon or brandy if you have it.
    I'm in!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Well I got my liver PB, but I couldn't bring myself to make the pate LOL. Maybe next time? I really do want to try it, but it kinda made me squeamish lol.
    My butcher minced up lambs fry with chicken breast and thigh for my pets. Plus ive given them some of the liver whole, and they seemed to like it.
    I think maybe I could do a meatloaf like yours if the bits are already minced up. I am working up to it
    Ask the pets if they would mind sharing. That sound good.

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    Be brave. Liver pate is awesome. I make up a whole batch and then freeze it in single-serving yoghurt pots for work lunches.
    Works for a quick breakfast too. Or one of those, I just can't face cooking tonight evenings. Some pate' and some cheese. Good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i have some ground venison and venison heart in the fridge right now that has some horopito and garlic minced into it. i was gonna make sausages but i was thinking meat loaf instead or even meatza. i've been nibbling at it raw which is quite nice. i got given a couple of decent sized abalone today as some of the guys went out. and i got another couple of kina myself on my low tide snorkel so back to too many choices of what to eat!

just do it ayla. if you eat meat, you can eat liver. it is actual the best bit. slice it up thinly and medium rare fry it in butter with some garlic and some thyme. whizz it in the blender with more melted butter, some cream and some bourbon or brandy if you have it. put some salt and pepper in. let it get completely cold in the fridge and then eat it. totally changes the taste. and it is then super yummy.
    The mince makes good meatballs too. Sherry also works well in the pate'.

yeah i am not a big fan of sausages which is why i didnt quite get around to making them. meatballs dont you usually need sauce? i so never make them and the kids dont like burgers. i did find a mini meat loaf recipe which wraps them in streaky bacon this morning so i may try something like that. i def like mince with hearts minced in.

good tip about the single serving yoghurt pots btw. school is back monday so i will be generating some.

Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast