Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 500

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 31

  1. #301
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i am sitting here drumming my fingers waiting for them to fall off the bone lol prob an hour to go. i used venison broth too.
    Braised Venison Shank Recipe with Garlic | Hunter Angler Gardener Cook these sorts of things are good as i can give the kids mashed potatoes and veges with them and we are all happy. no me sitting there eating a raw steak while they have pizza.

    my cat always eats the head of the rabbit first. all the fat is in the brain. she eats all the bones too and only ever leaves the colon.
    Patience.
    My medium/smallish sized dog loves bunny bones since they crunch up so nicely even without wolf jaws.

  2. #302
    seaweed's Avatar
    seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,234
    patience paid off. they were so yummy. there is always that kind of vague flavour thing you get with all slow roasted meats where it could be any red meat. there are only subtle diffs between beef, mutton, hogget and lamb. this was a wild deer and the kids reckoned it didnt taste like venison. all the gamey bits were gone. i dont notice gamey anymore but they still do. there was quite a lot of gelatinous sinews i guess, for want of a better word, thru the shanks which were really quite nice. i got some marrow out of one of the bones too as i had axed it off so the break was jagged. so yeah, venison shanks and gravy for dinner. it kind of sucks that all the really nice food, you cant get in the shops. i have no idea now how i am gonna convince anyone i know, other than me, who hunts to carry the shanks out!!!

  3. #303
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Oooooh yes, gelatinous sinews. That's the whole point of eating shanks. Some people just don't get that.

    I think the carnivorous diet can work really well if things like bone marrow, bone broth, connective tissue, organ meats, etc. are included. I would be bored to death on just straight muscle meat all the time.

    Thank you seaweed. You have helped me regain my appetite. That and the fact that my drains are working again. I think I'm going to go have a bite and then to bed.

  4. #304
    seaweed's Avatar
    seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,234
    I think the carnivorous diet can work really well if things like bone marrow, bone broth, connective tissue, organ meats, etc. are included. I would be bored to death on just straight muscle meat all the time.
    since i have been carnivoring, i now eat all the organs, the fat and the connective tissue and like them. previous i could only really do the livers, hearts and kidneys. or the fat if i had rendered it into rinds. now i am not forcing myself to like it at all. my kids still dont get it unfortunately as they are missing so much flavour and variety.

  5. #305
    solstice's Avatar
    solstice is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Posts
    471
    Hey seaweed! Just finished reading a book to my kids called "Island of the Blue Dolphins." The girl in the story lives alone on an island and lives primarily off of abalone!

    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    it's one of those it never rains, it pours type situations as i limp along normally on stuff all venison. since i dont do the farmed stuff, i have to make do with what i can get. then i get 2 whole deers in as many months! having acquired 1/4 cow before, i will say venison is a much better animal. nicer cuts and a lot less nebulous mince you have to make stuff with to disguise.

    i went for a snorkel and got 4 sea urchins and a coupla big abalone today so choices abound! right now i am slow roasting the venison shanks as i need the room in the freezer and my fave game recipe website said you would be eyeing them up before the backstraps once you'd eaten properly cooked shanks. i just had a peek and i am not convinced yet.

    re: rabbit. that is why i do it buttered in curry with lots of cream. beats the ass off chicken any day. you could also make any of those cream and chicken dishes with it too.

    i hate plumbing dramas. best of luck with it.
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

  6. #306
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    since i have been carnivoring, i now eat all the organs, the fat and the connective tissue and like them. previous i could only really do the livers, hearts and kidneys. or the fat if i had rendered it into rinds. now i am not forcing myself to like it at all. my kids still dont get it unfortunately as they are missing so much flavour and variety.
    Now there's a good word "carnivoring", I like it. I feel the same way. I have gone from eating offal and odd bits because I thought I should to actively liking them.
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    Hey seaweed! Just finished reading a book to my kids called "Island of the Blue Dolphins." The girl in the story lives alone on an island and lives primarily off of abalone!
    I read that book when I was a kid. You used to be able to forage abalone off the rocks here in San DIego when I was a kid but they are all gone now. Abalone is delicious.


    I also find that my body's signaling mechanisms seem to be clearer with this WOE. I can look in the fridge one day and see cheese or liver pate' and my body tells me very clearly which one it wants and which one does not appeal. And I find that the difference between real hunger and "Hmm. That looks good and probably would be tasty <chomp>" what could be described as "peckishness" is more clear as well.

  7. #307
    seaweed's Avatar
    seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,234
    Hey seaweed! Just finished reading a book to my kids called "Island of the Blue Dolphins." The girl in the story lives alone on an island and lives primarily off of abalone!
    i have that book. her feather shag cloak fascinates me as i am a weaver. the real story of what happened to her once they got her off the island is very sad =( i also know some people who got stuck on an island down south for about 10 days as the weather changed. all they had to eat was paua in the shell for a while. apparently it got a bit boring. we usually have to dive for it here now as most of the easy spots have been over gathered. there is a limit and a minumum size for recreational diving. thinking about shag feather cloaks, do you get anything like muttonbirds in the US?
    Muttonbird - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia you either love them or hate them. the best way i can describe the taste of roast mutton bird is it is like a rich flavoursome mutton basted in cod liver oil. i much prefer the fresh to the salties but they are quite difficult to get fresh unless you know someone who goes muttonbirding on the islands.

  8. #308
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    I don't think we get muttonbirds up here. Sounds yummy though. You could start a muttonbird meat export business. I pay ridiculous amounts of money on the net for real down under 'roo meat.

  9. #309
    solstice's Avatar
    solstice is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i have that book. her feather shag cloak fascinates me as i am a weaver. the real story of what happened to her once they got her off the island is very sad =( i also know some people who got stuck on an island down south for about 10 days as the weather changed. all they had to eat was paua in the shell for a while. apparently it got a bit boring. we usually have to dive for it here now as most of the easy spots have been over gathered. there is a limit and a minumum size for recreational diving. thinking about shag feather cloaks, do you get anything like muttonbirds in the US?
    Muttonbird - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia you either love them or hate them. the best way i can describe the taste of roast mutton bird is it is like a rich flavoursome mutton basted in cod liver oil. i much prefer the fresh to the salties but they are quite difficult to get fresh unless you know someone who goes muttonbirding on the islands.
    The book on a whole wasnt a very feel-good story and I imagine her life off of the island would not have been what she wanted, given the immense freedom and satisfaction she seemed to have there.

    As for muttonbird...almost looks like a pigeon but I assume bigger. If seabird---are they similar to a gull or pelican?
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

  10. #310
    Knifegill's Avatar
    Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,922
    I imagine her life off of the island would not have been what she wanted, given the immense freedom and satisfaction she seemed to have there.
    That always makes me mad - when civilization finds some happy thing and captures it, destroys it, etc.


    Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

    My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •