Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 30

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    we eat the rabbits. i usually curry them like butter chicken or gumbo them. i was thinking about this and the venison may or may not be farmed from here as i have come across hunters with licenses to sell the meat. does it vary at all in flavour and how strong is it compared to grass fed beef? i am still chopping up deer here. i've eaten the fillets, made half the liver into pate. have had one of the kidneys with some backstrap steak for lunch which was nice. i was going to have some of the heart for dinner, once i had cut the bullet hole bit out, but i was rendering tallow off the fatty bits so i ate them instead. i've got some lumps in a brine to make corned venison and i am going to make some venison bresaola as i am running out of room in the freezer. the broth i made from the leg bones that i axed up has set like solid jelly and plan B is to make slow roast the shanks for dinner tomorrow.
    I like rabbit but it's a bit too lean to eat very often for me.

i dont have much choice right now as i havent got enough room in the freezer for it all. i am giving some of it away to the extended whanau but we still need to eat the rest. having had a smidgen of the beef mince i was cooking for the kids nachos tonight, i am so not complaining about having to eat venison instead. And yes i try to get books from england if i can instead of america coz of the postage thing too.
    I am so jealous of such an abundance of venison.

So far today I have had some pate' and labne kefir cheese for breakfast but now I really don't reel like eating. I'm dealing with a bit of a plumbing disaster. There is nothing like the scent of backed up sewer water in the house to kill your appetite.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    The rabbit rillettes, dear... make it!
    Rabbit recipes | Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall | Life and style | The Guardian
    I killed some wild cottontails while at my brothers house in TN and it's divine.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I'm dealing with a bit of a plumbing disaster. There is nothing like the scent of backed up sewer water in the house to kill your appetite.
    I read that first sentence and immediately thought, well... You know...

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    The rabbit rillettes, dear... make it!
    Rabbit recipes | Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall | Life and style | The Guardian
    I killed some wild cottontails while at my brothers house in TN and it's divine.
    Oooh rabbit pate'! I never would have thought of that. Thanks, Cori.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I read that first sentence and immediately thought, well... You know...
    Yeah, it's not pretty. If I weren't waiting for the plumber, I'd go out and get a steak. But I would have to take a shower first since I stink too. Good times. I can't wait to sell this house.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    I am so jealous of such an abundance of venison.
    it's one of those it never rains, it pours type situations as i limp along normally on stuff all venison. since i dont do the farmed stuff, i have to make do with what i can get. then i get 2 whole deers in as many months! having acquired 1/4 cow before, i will say venison is a much better animal. nicer cuts and a lot less nebulous mince you have to make stuff with to disguise.

i went for a snorkel and got 4 sea urchins and a coupla big abalone today so choices abound! right now i am slow roasting the venison shanks as i need the room in the freezer and my fave game recipe website said you would be eyeing them up before the backstraps once you'd eaten properly cooked shanks. i just had a peek and i am not convinced yet.

re: rabbit. that is why i do it buttered in curry with lots of cream. beats the ass off chicken any day. you could also make any of those cream and chicken dishes with it too.

i hate plumbing dramas. best of luck with it.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yeah, it's not pretty. If I weren't waiting for the plumber, I'd go out and get a steak. But I would have to take a shower first since I stink too. Good times. I can't wait to sell this house.
    I think you missed my train of thought.

Probably for the best since it was none too pretty itself.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Shaaaaankkkks.

*drooool*

I LOVE shanks!
    Slow braise them with lovely liquid and flavor-y things and you will too.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Paleobird Guest
    it's one of those it never rains, it pours type situations as i limp along normally on stuff all venison. since i dont do the farmed stuff, i have to make do with what i can get. then i get 2 whole deers in as many months! having acquired 1/4 cow before, i will say venison is a much better animal. nicer cuts and a lot less nebulous mince you have to make stuff with to disguise.

i went for a snorkel and got 4 sea urchins and a coupla big abalone today so choices abound! right now i am slow roasting the venison shanks as i need the room in the freezer and my fave game recipe website said you would be eyeing them up before the backstraps once you'd eaten properly cooked shanks. i just had a peek and i am not convinced yet.

re: rabbit. that is why i do it buttered in curry with lots of cream. beats the ass off chicken any day. you could also make any of those cream and chicken dishes with it too.

i hate plumbing dramas. best of luck with it.
    I love lamb shanks. I can see how venison shanks would be good too if cooked low and slow enough. Yes, rabbit needs some form of fat added or else you get rabbit starvation.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I think you missed my train of thought.
    Probably for the best since it was none too pretty itself.
    Oh! You thought I was talking about the anatomical kind of plumbing? Let's not even go there.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Shaaaaankkkks.

*drooool*

I LOVE shanks!
    Slow braise them with lovely liquid and flavor-y things and you will too.
    I do mine in the crockpot until they are falling off the bone tender.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i am sitting here drumming my fingers waiting for them to fall off the bone lol prob an hour to go. i used venison broth too.
    Braised Venison Shank Recipe with Garlic | Hunter Angler Gardener Cook these sorts of things are good as i can give the kids mashed potatoes and veges with them and we are all happy. no me sitting there eating a raw steak while they have pizza.

my cat always eats the head of the rabbit first. all the fat is in the brain. she eats all the bones too and only ever leaves the colon.

Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast