Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 455

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 3

  1. #21
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Nah, I'm sure they are damn near as carnivorous as we know of recent known societies. What I was replying to was Otzi's "on the planet ever" part. Just seemed like one heck of a statement considering all the climate changes throughout evolution and the many societies come and gone and whatnot.
    Oh, I agree. I was referring to his assumptions that all carnivorous diets= fermenting seal flippers and undigested contents of caribou stomachs.

  2. #22
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I just want to know...will there be pictures?
    Sorry, there could have been food porn but I already had dinner. It was a surf and turf combo of garlic/ginger salmon and lamb chops. And I had labne kefir cheese for breakfast. I am feeling very fine.

  3. #23
    LauraSB's Avatar
    LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Delaware Valley
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I just want to know...will there be pictures?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Sorry, there could have been food porn but I already had dinner. It was a surf and turf combo of garlic/ginger salmon and lamb chops. And I had labne kefir cheese for breakfast. I am feeling very fine.
    I was hoping for pictures of the men seduced by your carnivorousness! By Paleobird standards I am practically vegetarian, but by SAD standards I am a carnivorous fiend. The reaction of the men at work to my lunches is quite gratifying, lol. Too bad for them I'm already happily married.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

  4. #24
    zoebird's Avatar
    zoebird is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    7,935
    I think this one will be as interesting to observe as the ketogenic for neuro-health thread is/was. I really enjoy your experimentations and threads.

    Oddly, I actually do love fruit and veg. I will eat it raw and unseasoned -- though several things become more palatable when cooked (ie, kale, pumpkin, etc). Still, I love them. I don't think it's 100% social conditioning. I think sometimes we are just different.

    That being said, as ever, I'm always "more power to you!" People should make conscious, thoughtful tweaks and experiments and see what works for them!

  5. #25
    jojohaligo's Avatar
    jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Wet Coast of Canada
    Posts
    759
    This is interesting. As for me, if I think about the oft cited phrase to listen to our bodies and cravings, and assess how that looks after one year eating "primal" I mostly eat meats, eggs, some organs, some tails, etc, and have to be very conscious about adding vegetables and fruits. This past summer I did have cravings for fruit such as the peaches and cherries on my inlaws trees when we were visiting... once in awhile I eat cheese, wine, rice or sweet potato, dark chocolate, each about once per week. When I am adding vegetables I am trying to add them, I am not adding them because I want to eat them, but because I think I should (or I am trying to make a sauce for the meat).
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

    Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

  6. #26
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    I was hoping for pictures of the men seduced by your carnivorousness! By Paleobird standards I am practically vegetarian, but by SAD standards I am a carnivorous fiend. The reaction of the men at work to my lunches is quite gratifying, lol. Too bad for them I'm already happily married.
    Hah! I haven't had much time for seduction lately but all this meat is making me feel frisky. Must get back to that.

    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I think this one will be as interesting to observe as the ketogenic for neuro-health thread is/was. I really enjoy your experimentations and threads.

    Oddly, I actually do love fruit and veg. I will eat it raw and unseasoned -- though several things become more palatable when cooked (ie, kale, pumpkin, etc). Still, I love them. I don't think it's 100% social conditioning. I think sometimes we are just different.

    That being said, as ever, I'm always "more power to you!" People should make conscious, thoughtful tweaks and experiments and see what works for them!
    If you had asked me a few months ago how I felt about vegetables I would have told you in all sincerity and honesty that I adored them. Perhaps the diet itself starts to change a person's tastes (it's possible that sustained ketosis could do this) or perhaps it just makes you aware of what you could be having. (i.e. seconds on the brisket instead of a BAS)

    But if you associate in your mind that veg=health, you will of course want to be healthy and maybe talk yourself into luuuurving those veggies a bit more than you actually do if you give yourself permission to eat what you really want. I found the more I thought about it and was honest with myself, the veggies just did not hold that much appeal.

    I think occasional fruit should be like paleo candy. Once in a while it is no big deal.

  7. #27
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    This is interesting. As for me, if I think about the oft cited phrase to listen to our bodies and cravings, and assess how that looks after one year eating "primal" I mostly eat meats, eggs, some organs, some tails, etc, and have to be very conscious about adding vegetables and fruits. This past summer I did have cravings for fruit such as the peaches and cherries on my inlaws trees when we were visiting... once in awhile I eat cheese, wine, rice or sweet potato, dark chocolate, each about once per week. When I am adding vegetables I am trying to add them, I am not adding them because I want to eat them, but because I think I should (or I am trying to make a sauce for the meat).
    This. Exactly what I was getting at. Vegetables that enhance the flavor of your meat like a tomato or mushroom sauce or onions in the broth pot, these are the things I'm keeping. Anything I was eating out of a sense of "Well, I really *should* eat some veggies", is getting binned.

  8. #28
    zoebird's Avatar
    zoebird is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    7,935
    But if you associate in your mind that veg=health, you will of course want to be healthy and maybe talk yourself into luuuurving those veggies a bit more than you actually do if you give yourself permission to eat what you really want.
    This is the important part -- it's an if/then statement. I don't necessarily believe that "veg = health." I think that a lot of things = health, and i'm usually looking for ways of doing things that will improve health and longevity. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been quite as diverse in my meanderings (from veganism to now).


    If you had asked me a few months ago how I felt about vegetables I would have told you in all sincerity and honesty that I adored them. Perhaps the diet itself starts to change a person's tastes (it's possible that sustained ketosis could do this) or perhaps it just makes you aware of what you could be having. (i.e. seconds on the brisket instead of a BAS)

    I have found since going primal that I do not eat and not not want as much fruit as I once did. I used to eat 4-5
    pieces/servings of fruit per day. I loved fruit! Well, I still love fruit, but I find that I eat a piece a day *at most* and I'm more likely to go a couple of days without it. Likewise, I have *zero* interest in toast/etc. Cookies/cakes/ice cream/naan on rare occasion are nice, but no longer have the intense draw that they once did.

    So, certainly, the tastes do change based on how you adapt, how you feel, etc.

    But, I still love my veg. I can go without them at breakfast (just having eggs, for example), but once I hit dinner time, I'm usually craving them. And, I know when I'm 'finished' with the meat, but still hungry. The meat no longer tastes good, and I want the veg, so I eat them.

    Again, I think this can change over time, but I'm not sure that I want/need to go "full carnivore." I just am not entirely sold on the idea that this is just a thought-problem, you know? "I think it's healthy, therefore I force myself to do it!" It's just not my style.

    I think occasional fruit should be like paleo candy. Once in a while it is no big deal.
    we did berry picking on the holiday as a fun family activity. WHAT A BLAST! the farm that we went do has a lot of variety of fruit and veg in different seasons, so we are going to make different trips and get some good stuff right off the plant/tree or out of the ground! DS had so much fun, and we just loved the fruits of the labor! (no pun intended, but yeah).

    i think that seasonal fruit is a pretty big deal, but we do frozen berries for DS and DH anyway. I rarely have those. I'm more likely to have whatever is seasonal.

  9. #29
    samknox's Avatar
    samknox is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Richland, WA
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This. Exactly what I was getting at. Vegetables that enhance the flavor of your meat like a tomato or mushroom sauce or onions in the broth pot, these are the things I'm keeping. Anything I was eating out of a sense of "Well, I really *should* eat some veggies", is getting binned.
    Peter at Hyperlipid did a series of posts about the deleterious health effects of fruit and vegetable consumption.

    This is representative:

    Hyperlipid: Fruit and vegetables (1) re post

  10. #30
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    This is the important part -- it's an if/then statement. I don't necessarily believe that "veg = health." I think that a lot of things = health, and i'm usually looking for ways of doing things that will improve health and longevity. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been quite as diverse in my meanderings (from veganism to now).

    I have found since going primal that I do not eat and not not want as much fruit as I once did.
    So, certainly, the tastes do change based on how you adapt, how you feel, etc.

    But, I still love my veg.
    But you are an incredibly fit and healthy person and, being a yoga teacher, you associate with all kinds of other fit and health conscious people (a lot of the yoga "types" I've known area also vegetarian if you'll forgive the stereotype). So there is probably an emphasis on veg, kids with celery sticks instead of crackers in their lunches, etc. This is the world I live in too. My friends are fit and go hiking, cycling, etc.

    I honestly thought I love my veg too until I go my head around doing what I wanted and what my body was asking for instead of what I was supposed to want and do. It took a couple of months of thinking about it. One day at a party I looked at the broccoli stalk in my hand and said, "Why am I eating this?" I'm not saying this will or should happen to you just that it did to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by samknox View Post
    Peter at Hyperlipid did a series of posts about the deleterious health effects of fruit and vegetable consumption.

    This is representative:

    Hyperlipid: Fruit and vegetables (1) re post
    Fascinating. Peter is wonderful. Thank you for posting that.

    He's lumping in fruits and veg together which is interesting. In Dr Ede's blog, she was showing how veg is the body of the plant which the plant obviously doesn't want to have eaten and so it protects itself with anti-nutrients whereas the fruit is being offered up to animals. The plant wants this to be eaten so there are not the anti-nutrients involved.

    In Peter's piece, it concentrates on the fructose angle. Hmmm.

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •