Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 29

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Yeesh, where do you guys source all of these different fats? I wish I had an awesome source like you!

I have an awesome grass-fed/pastured meat vendor, but beyond that... They don't have any game meats or the like.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    deer tallow is not for the faint of heart!
    i think we've sort of discussed the gameyness or lack thereof on deer in another thread? i have found it depends on age, species, sex and what it was eating. the deer i have gotten my hands on dont have that much fat and all of it i have rendered down is pretty yummy. the scratchings are divine. i havent had a big smelly rutting buck. equally, i would never render lard off a big smelly bush boar either.

Oooh. Where do you get venison liver? That sounds yummy.
    i have tried to get it commercially and have failed so it must go to the petfood markets maybe and get processed into something. the only way to get it is to shoot the animal yourself. or ask someone who hunts nicely. most of it usually gets gutted and left in the bush. or given to the hunting dogs. unless you have a 4WD it is often a long way to carry the meat out so the "cheap cuts" often dont make it. i can get deer hearts from the petfood shop here. they come from a human grade abbatoir. i have yet to try them but deer heart is super yummy. IMO venison liver is much nicer than lamb's liver and i eat it either fried or make it into pate.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Yeesh, where do you guys source all of these different fats? I wish I had an awesome source like you!
    I have an awesome grass-fed/pastured meat vendor, but beyond that... They don't have any game meats or the like.
    US Wellness Meats has buffalo suet for sale. Grande Premium Meats (ElkUSA.com) has various game meat organs for sale in their dogfood section for pretty reasonable prices.

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i think we've sort of discussed the gameyness or lack thereof on deer in another thread? i have found it depends on age, species, sex and what it was eating. the deer i have gotten my hands on dont have that much fat and all of it i have rendered down is pretty yummy. the scratchings are divine. i havent had a big smelly rutting buck. equally, i would never render lard off a big smelly bush boar either.

i have tried to get it commercially and have failed so it must go to the petfood markets maybe and get processed into something. the only way to get it is to shoot the animal yourself. or ask someone who hunts nicely. most of it usually gets gutted and left in the bush. or given to the hunting dogs. unless you have a 4WD it is often a long way to carry the meat out so the "cheap cuts" often dont make it. i can get deer hearts from the petfood shop here. they come from a human grade abbatoir. i have yet to try them but deer heart is super yummy. IMO venison liver is much nicer than lamb's liver and i eat it either fried or make it into pate.
    Southern California is mostly desert so we don't have much in the way of wild big game around here. Sagebrush and jackrabbits. The only venison in the market is from New Zealand.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    US Wellness Meats has buffalo suet for sale. Grande Premium Meats (ElkUSA.com) has various game meat organs for sale in their dogfood section for pretty reasonable prices.
    I could get buffalo if I went out of my way to get to a slightly further away farmer's market that's held on a different day. But beyond that, nothing more exotic is available. Not sure if they sell pure buffalo fat though. And yeah, I'd probably have to order the rest of the stuff online.

Paleobird Guest
    With our ipads as shields and our debit cards as spear points, we go off hunting in the modern world.

Not quite as fun as getting up to our ears in gore like Gryka the Gnoll. If you haven't read J. Stanton's The Gnoll Credo by now, you must, you simply must. It is not a novel. It is a life changing experience.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I have that book saved in my amazon wishlist thanks PB Looking forward to reading it.
    I wait till I have a few in there, before I place an order, since shipping is crazy to here

Southern California is mostly desert so we don't have much in the way of wild big game around here. Sagebrush and jackrabbits. The only venison in the market is from New Zealand
    we eat the rabbits. i usually curry them like butter chicken or gumbo them. i was thinking about this and the venison may or may not be farmed from here as i have come across hunters with licenses to sell the meat. does it vary at all in flavour and how strong is it compared to grass fed beef? i am still chopping up deer here. i've eaten the fillets, made half the liver into pate. have had one of the kidneys with some backstrap steak for lunch which was nice. i was going to have some of the heart for dinner, once i had cut the bullet hole bit out, but i was rendering tallow off the fatty bits so i ate them instead. i've got some lumps in a brine to make corned venison and i am going to make some venison bresaola as i am running out of room in the freezer. the broth i made from the leg bones that i axed up has set like solid jelly and plan B is to make slow roast the shanks for dinner tomorrow.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    I have that book saved in my amazon wishlist thanks PB Looking forward to reading it.
    I wait till I have a few in there, before I place an order, since shipping is crazy to here
    Ack! Ayla, don't buy from Amazon, it's too expensive to ship to Australia. Sources like The Book Depository are quicker to deliver (from the UK), usually cheaper, and charge nothing for shipping.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    ooh thanks Sigi, I forgot about them.
    Seaweed, sounds like you are loving that deer LOL

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Seaweed, sounds like you are loving that deer LOL
    i dont have much choice right now as i havent got enough room in the freezer for it all. i am giving some of it away to the extended whanau but we still need to eat the rest. having had a smidgen of the beef mince i was cooking for the kids nachos tonight, i am so not complaining about having to eat venison instead. And yes i try to get books from england if i can instead of america coz of the postage thing too.

Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast