Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 28

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this because I sort of pop in and out of this thread, anyway, a little sweet vermouth can take the edge off the taste of liver (in the pate, but along side is good too).
    Oh, and if already I mentioned the vermouth earlier in the thread, my apologies - please write it off as a senior moment.
    A senior hitting the vermouth too hard moment perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    The other day I added a good few glugs of Marsala to my beef shanks.
    I really need a separate wine fridge for my bottles. I hardly drink from them, but love cooking with it!
    I used to cook with Marsala a lot but I have just stopped keeping it and all other booze in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    i haven't pate-d yet! I want some pastured chicken livers but around here that will mean waiting until the spring...unless I can get my one gf to donate some to my cause...she is a pate princess! (but filled with dairy). LOVE the idea of adding broth and maybe using some of my endless amounts of pastured lard instead of butter!
    That would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Althaur View Post
    Here is the recipe my wife made. It's from the Primal Bluepring cookbook....
    Thanks, Althaur. When I'm by myself I have no shame about digging into the cheese or pate' with a spoon but, in "polite company" it would be nice to have something between fingers and cheese, something to bring to a party for instance.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    OMG PATE!

I had some (made by a friend) today. . . and it is going to be a regular thing in our house good lord it is so good.

I'm going to put it on all kinds of veggies OMG. Why why why did I wait so long?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    OMG PATE!
    I had some (made by a friend) today. . . and it is going to be a regular thing in our house good lord it is so good.
    I'm going to put it on all kinds of veggies OMG. Why why why did I wait so long?
    Yup. Once you have experienced pate', there is absolutely no excuse to not include some liver in your diet, even for the offal-phobic among us.

And, if you make the pate and bring it to the party, you know there will be something there you can eat. Plus everyone will think you are a culinary genius when really it is so simple. (For those of us who know how to make peanut butter toast of course.)

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Damn Zoe, I want to go to my butcher right now! :P
    I hope I am as excited as you once I try.
    3 days till I go shopping again LOL (our butcher is an hour away, so only go once a month generally)

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i got a venison liver at the weekend and made venison liver pate. i medium rared the liver with butter, garlic, thyme, bourbon and cream. plus of course salt and pepper. it was awesome. i have half the liver left which i threw in the freezer and i have a pot of venison broth on. i also can prob render some tallow off the fat as i have the whole deer. this means i can try a dairy free, totally deer one too.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    deer tallow is not for the faint of heart!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    Paleobird, do you feel any different? Any changes in your energy levels or skin?

About to do a week of spuds-only beginning of Feb, then have a week of just steak&eggs in March lined up.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    If it was a doe it won't be too bad...
    Now buck tallow... Umm... wow. I'd try rendering it on the back porch maybe the first round. LOL
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i got a venison liver at the weekend and made venison liver pate. i medium rared the liver with butter, garlic, thyme, bourbon and cream. plus of course salt and pepper. it was awesome. i have half the liver left which i threw in the freezer and i have a pot of venison broth on. i also can prob render some tallow off the fat as i have the whole deer. this means i can try a dairy free, totally deer one too.
    Oooh. Where do you get venison liver? That sounds yummy.

Is it very gamey? I never knew why people said that as if it were pejorative. I love gamey meats.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyorange View Post
    Paleobird, do you feel any different? Any changes in your energy levels or skin?
    About to do a week of spuds-only beginning of Feb, then have a week of just steak&eggs in March lined up.
    That will be quite a change. I'm not really noticing anything that dramatic but I think I have been drifting toward this way of eating for some time now by my efforts to stay in ketosis. It wasn't like I just stopped eating vegetation one day, it's more like it just gradually faded away into the background. My skin and energy levels are great any time I am in ketosis. I think the one danger about going carnivore is the danger of going too high on the protein especially if the source is a lean one. I usually don't choose chicken for myself due to the O3/O6 ratio even if you can get the good free range kind. But a couple of times recently I have had chicken, at a dinner function and with my houseguest because she had cooked it and I didn't want to be ungrateful. I didn't feel right for a day or two after each of those meals. If your fat/protein ratio tips too far toward protein, you can knock yourself out of ketosis. Best to stick with the higher fat ruminants and seafood.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    If it was a doe it won't be too bad...
    Now buck tallow... Umm... wow. I'd try rendering it on the back porch maybe the first round. LOL
    Is it really stinky? (Forgive the city girl who doesn't know about such things.)

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Buck tallow, for older sexually mature animals... just like older boar hogs... can be VERY intense.
    Gamey is not the word for it.

It can literally smell like the scent from the glands they have or their urine during the breeding season that they spray all over the place to mark territory and attract mates or whatever.
    UGHHHHHH!

Not for the faint of heart indeed.

I don't find doe tallow unpleasant though...along the lines of "gamey-ness" that someone might attribute to hogget or mutton I suppose, but a different flavor profile. But then a lot of people with Western palettes don't like those tastes either.
    The same sort of had dryness as mutton though IMO, since it is an actual tallow and not a softer fat.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast