Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 27

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    oh, and I have to borrow my friend's blender.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I picked up some pastured chicken livers at my butcher the other day... all he had left was about 1 and 3/4 lbs... (I usually use 2 lbs but whatever, I'm flexible.)
    I made a delicious pate today.
    A sweet yellow onion, 12 oz portobello mushrooms, and 5 big cloves garlic (plus herbs- thyme, coriander, and fresh ground pepper)... slow simmered in a stick of butter until caramelized.
    Then simmer the livers in another stick of butter until the pink just disappears.
    Allow to cool slightly then wiz it all together in a food processor until it's light and whipped in texture.
    It's thick and must be spooned into tubs, but has a ton of airiness.
    So rich and delicious!

And "less" dairy for those who do butter but don't want a lot of HWC.
    I'm sure you could do the same with ghee for a no dairy version. No reason why it wouldn't work the same I don't think.

I use HWC sometimes too... but it was low today and I want it for my coffee.
    Next time I may whip some HWC separate and fold it into it mousse it up a bit...

Sometimes I eat it out of red pepper quarters...
    Romaine leaf roll-ups are pretty good too.
    More often I attack it with a spoon or fork.
    It's just SO good.
    I'm more likely to crave this when PMS strikes than something sweet.
    Last edited by cori93437; 01-25-2013 at 08:45 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Zoebird, what about with celery sticks or on cucumber?
    That is what I was thinking. I am determined that I will make it and try it. I really hope I enjoy it LOL

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Althaur View Post
    Come on, Derp. That's far easier than trying to make a toasted peanut butter sandwich. Besides, at 5 years old, you probably didn't realize you have to make sure the peanut butter side goes to the left when putting it in the toaster.

I'm going to save this recipe though. Want to give it a try when I get home. Would be really good on the primal crackers my wife just made recently. Of course, I leave and she starts trying all these great new recipes. Grumble grumble.
    But just think how good at them she'll be by the time you get back. How about getting your wife to post her primal cracker recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    We found decent, organic liver at a decent price. So, i'll freeze it for 14 days and then pate it. I have been pushed into it, but I will do it.
    I'm not sure how to eat it though. such things are usualyl done with toasts or crackers. No, i'm not eating it by the spoonful. Perhaps little endive lettuce leaves or something? Yes, that would probably work nicely.
    You don't really need to freeze it unless you are planning on eating it raw. Endive would work.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I picked up some pastured chicken livers at my butcher the other day... all he had left was about 1 and 3/4 lbs... (I usually use 2 lbs but whatever, I'm flexible.)
    I made a delicious pate today.
    A sweet yellow onion, 12 oz portobello mushrooms, and 5 big cloves garlic (plus herbs- thyme, coriander, and fresh ground pepper)... slow simmered in a stick of butter until caramelized.
    Then simmer the livers in another stick of butter until the pink just disappears.
    Allow to cool slightly then wiz it all together in a food processor until it's light and whipped in texture.
    It's thick and must be spooned into tubs, but has a ton of airiness.
    So rich and delicious!

And "less" dairy for those who do butter but don't want a lot of HWC.
    I'm sure you could do the same with ghee for a no dairy version. No reason why it wouldn't work the same I don't think.

I use HWC sometimes too... but it was low today and I want it for my coffee.
    Next time I may whip some HWC separate and fold it into it mousse it up a bit...

Sometimes I eat it out of red pepper quarters...
    Romaine leaf roll-ups are pretty good too.
    More often I attack it with a spoon or fork.

It's just SO good.
    I'm more likely to crave this when PMS strikes than something sweet.
    More good ideas. The other possibility for a dairy free version I haven't tried yet is with coconut cream. Sounds good. Next batch I'll give that a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Zoebird, what about with celery sticks or on cucumber?
    That is what I was thinking. I am determined that I will make it and try it. I really hope I enjoy it LOL
    Yep, more good ideas.

Also how about rolling some up in a nori wrap and having a pate taquito?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Baby bok choy make really good scoops for things like pate. Very mild flavor, and I chop off the green part for salads or stir fry.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this because I sort of pop in and out of this thread, anyway, a little sweet vermouth can take the edge off the taste of liver (in the pate, but along side is good too).

Oh, and if already I mentioned the vermouth earlier in the thread, my apologies - please write it off as a senior moment.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah... I variously use white wine(I tend to stick to chardonnays with liver), cream sherry, vermouth, or even moscato or prosecco.

I just didn't yesterday.
    The other day I added a good few glugs of Marsala to my beef shanks.
    I really need a separate wine fridge for my bottles. I hardly drink from them, but love cooking with it!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Althaur is offline Senior Member
    Paleobird, I'll get it from her to post on here. She's not much for online socializing. She said they turned out pretty good. In fact she was crunching away while we were on Skype.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    i haven't pate-d yet! I want some pastured chicken livers but around here that will mean waiting until the spring...unless I can get my one gf to donate some to my cause...she is a pate princess! (but filled with dairy). LOVE the idea of adding broth and maybe using some of my endless amounts of pastured lard instead of butter!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member

Althaur is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Here is the recipe my wife made. It's from the Primal Bluepring cookbook.

2 c. almond meal

1-2 T Italian seasoning

1 c. parmesan or romano cheese, finely grated

2 T olive oil

3 T water

Preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir to form a moist, sticky dough. (Add more water and oil if necessary). Using wet hands, place the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten the dough to form a thin rectangle at least 10x8. Sprinkle salt on top to taste. Bake for 15 min or until the crackers are dry and golden in appearance. Use a pizza cutter to create crackers. Store in an air-tight container.

Try scoring the dough before baking, that should make it easier to cut them. Additionally, if you take off the edges as the get crispy, and let it continue to cook, break off, cook, etc, you should be able to get crispy crackers all the way through. She did say they were a little more soft towards the middle.

Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast