Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 500

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 23

  1. #221
    JoanieL's Avatar
    JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Laissez le bon temps rouler!
    Posts
    6,607
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Last night I invented a new way to use Sea Tangle kelp noodles. I boiled them in a can of clam juice until most of it had soaked into the noodles and reduced down to thick. Then I put in a can of clams, a can of oysters, and a can of crab meat and stirred it up with a bit of cream. Seafood Alfredo Primal style. It was delicious.
    I think I may have just drooled onto my keyboard.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

  2. #222
    heatseeker's Avatar
    heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    593
    Just wanted to say that this thread is as fascinating to me as a bad car accident (not that I'm trying to assign pejorative value to carnivorousness [yo, I also feel like it should be carnivory]--I think it's a perfectly valid diet). I LOVE veggies and really truly could not give them up. I can't imagine eating nothing but animal foodstuffs. So, I'm getting a kick out of how different Paleobird's biochemistry and tastebuds are from mine.

  3. #223
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I think I may have just drooled onto my keyboard.
    I haven't tried it yet but I was speculating that the same thing could be done with the Sea Tangle noodles to make a chicken alfredo. Boil the noodles in chicken broth then add cream and canned (or leftover) chicken. I don't eat much chicken but I have a couple of cans on the shelf I am looking for a way to use up.

    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    Just wanted to say that this thread is as fascinating to me as a bad car accident (not that I'm trying to assign pejorative value to carnivorousness [yo, I also feel like it should be carnivory]--I think it's a perfectly valid diet). I LOVE veggies and really truly could not give them up. I can't imagine eating nothing but animal foodstuffs. So, I'm getting a kick out of how different Paleobird's biochemistry and tastebuds are from mine.
    I'm not saying you are wrong or kidding yourself or anything like that but I would have said the exact same thing a few months back. Also, you did see the part about still having some vegetation around the edges. I'm just making this a *meat-centered* diet, not an *exclusively* meat diet.

    I really don't think my biochemistry changed that much that fast but I do think my physical reactions to food follow my mental attitudes. For example, I have a good friend who almost died of liver failure. He got healthy and started drinking wheatgrass juice and swore that it saved his life. So I have always associated wheatgrass juice with health and vigor and honestly used to say that I loved the stuff. (The fact that my friend also quit drinking copious amounts of beer at the same time he started on the wheatgrass may have been a bit of a confounding variable.)

    So then I start researching carnivorousness and came to realize all the frankly toxic aspects of most veggies (things such as oxalates binding other nutrients) and the relative scarcity of nutrients in them that can actually be absorbed once you figure in the fiber factor.
    Suddenly, that glass of wheatgrass juice didn't taste so good anymore. I looked at it and thought, "This is what cows eat. Why am I eating this again?" I used to order wheatgrass in bulk online frozen. Now all that freezer space is filled with meat.

    So, I'm not saying anyone who believes they love their veggies is deluded, but my experience was that when I opened my mind to the concept, my body followed. My actual perception of how great something tasted followed my evolving knowledge about its health benefits.

    Also, I suggest the series of posts by Peter at the Hyperlipid site called, "Whose Fat is It Anyway?" which shows how our gut microbes can actually give us cravings for the things they like to eat, things with lots of fiber and starch. It's very interesting reading. I think sometimes when people say they love their veggies it may be their gut microbes talking.

    That seems to be a self perpetuating but not necessarily healthy cycle. You eat starch and cellulose to feed your gut flora who then demand more starch and cellulose. We do indeed need all that flourishing intestinal biome if we are going to continue to shove lots of plant matter through because we can't digest it on our own. But doesn't the fact that we need other creatures to help us with our digestion perhaps argue for the idea that plant matter is not optimal food? We can digest fat and protein just fine without assistance from our microbial friends.

    Ideas to chew on........<chomp, chomp,chomp>

  4. #224
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,949
    I admit... their is a little piece of me waiting for otzi to pass a kidney stone the size of Manhattan because of all those potatoes... particularly the raw ones... even though he does boil most of them which helps, and likely has healthy kidneys (re: oxalates)
    Just sayn.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  5. #225
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I admit... their is a little piece of me waiting for otzi to pass a kidney stone the size of Manhattan because of all those potatoes... particularly the raw ones... even though he does boil most of them which helps, and likely has healthy kidneys (re: oxalates)
    Just sayn.
    Oh, Cori you are mean!

    Funny as all hell but mean, Bad Cori!

    But I really wouldn't wish that on Otzi. He already got his ass handed to him several times in a row by PK in re. RS. That was enough of a wuppin'.

  6. #226
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    8,741
    Did he? I gave up on that thread because it was more like an argument in search of a argument.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

  7. #227
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,949
    I said it was just a "little" piece.

    And when it happens I'll be there to help him through the process with offerings of sympathy, my collected knowledge about oxalates, and lime juice coctails.
    I'd try to offer empathy, but I've never had a stone in spite of all the odds stacked against me... cause I avoid those stinky oxalates.

    I was being a little snarky. No I don't actually wish him a kidney stone...
    Otzi is harmless... a bit overly obsessed with his potatoes, but harmless and mostly live and let live.
    We've had some good chats and can agree to disagree about some things.


    Opinions are great... but you don't have to act like they are FACTS.
    And yeah... PK did end up schooling Otz pretty hard on that in the end of that particular thread.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  8. #228
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Well, starting this evening, I am going to be having a house guest for a few days which will be my first experience with trying to stay carnivorous while sharing meals with others. (The cabrito last night was shared with my BFF who is also Primal.)

    My BFF, when told about my carnivorous experiment over cabrito came up with a very good way of putting it. She said, "So, you still can have vegetables if you want but you are not obligated to them." That made a lot of sense.

    Those carnivorous purists over at ZIOH are nuts. I really think if anybody is looking for a resource for carnivorousness that is more balanced, they should check out the Dirty Carnivore site.

    The muscle meat and water only approach favored at ZIOH is, IMO, very unhealthy in the long run. Just because the leader of it can a does run marathons doesn't mean it's good for you. It's like the story everyone has of their great aunt Hilda who smoked three packs a day and lived to be 100 without lung cancer. Well, good for Hilda, but that doesn't mean I'm going to take up a 3 pack a day habit. IMO, nose to tail eating is essential to having a diet like this work well. Bone broth, organs, marrow, all would have been part of any carnivorous HG tribal eating. Don't tell me Grok just stripped out the steaks and tossed the rest of the carcass to the hyenas.

  9. #229
    peril's Avatar
    peril is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    2,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I just made 5 pounds of liver into pate'. I don't think I'll need to worry about scurvy for a while. I added this huge can of truffles I have had sitting on the shelf for ages and the flavor came out really nice.
    Any reference for Vit C in liver? Everything I've read says not much. Brains, thymus and pancreas are all much better sources of C
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

    Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

  10. #230
    Mud Flinger's Avatar
    Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Denver Suburbs, CO
    Posts
    1,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I love goat yogurt. Goat kefir is good too.

    Oooh,nice spices. I would probably sub wine for the beer or just go with the broth.

    I'm really finding my bone broth to be a central staple in my new diet. It just feels so deeply nourishing.
    I have been finding the same with my bone broths. I made yak bone broth with turmeric and lots of black pepper and it was the bomb! I could just feel the nourishment every time I drank it piping hot! Just hope my current beef broth can hold it's own after that batch.

Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •