Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 22

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    PB, you seriously, honestly, don't miss the vegetable matter? I CRAVE the plants, especially the leafy greens and fresh herbs and seaweeds. Ditto with spices, with the exception of chili peppers - burns my mouth overly much.

I really like my meats, too, including the odd bits, organs, and the fats, but I like them best with pile(s) of herbaceousness. Outside of a bunch of Inuit hearsay, I have never come across a thread like this one. Interesting, even though this isn't me.
    For me, I've been considering that my supposed love for big salads and piles of vegetables is really a mental game giving me an excuse to binge and overeat. I've always eaten those things (even before primal) and i think I really do crave/love them, but at the root of it....is a desire to eat as much as possible -- wanting that full/stuff feeling instead of just done eating. Eating a BAS everyday was a nice crutch getting started though...

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I had watercress last night with dinner. I've never had it before. It's really really good. I know for sure that there are veggies that I simply just plain like. I do think meat (or eggs) needs to be the heart of any meal, though.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    you have really made me excited to try your pate PB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Althaur View Post
    I can't wait to try some Pate recipes I found once I'm back home.
    This time I used some of my very rich bone broth to cook the liver in along with the butter. The gelatin in the broth gave a nice firmness to the pate'.
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i'm all livered out after the raw lamb's liver salad but i will give myself a couple of weeks and then go eye up the organic chicken livers. if they are appealing, i will get some as i made some chicken liver pate for xmas and i had forgotten how much i liked it. yumm.
    Yep, chicken livers work too and are avery mild flavor.
    Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    For dinner last night: a cup of bone broth and then a huge bowl of mussels steamed with butter and garlic. Did I notice the missing veggies? No.
    Several weeks ago I ground up lamb liver and beef heart along with a batch of ground beef and froze some. Had meat balls in tomato sauce that night and I think I'll make a meatloaf tonight. This is so easy.
    It is easy, isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    PB, you seriously, honestly, don't miss the vegetable matter? I CRAVE the plants, especially the leafy greens and fresh herbs and seaweeds.
    I really like my meats, too, including the odd bits, organs, and the fats, but I like them best with pile(s) of herbaceousness. Outside of a bunch of Inuit hearsay, I have never come across a thread like this one. Interesting, even though this isn't me.
    Seriously and honestly, no, I don't miss anything I'm not eating (have you seen the list a few pages back? I'm still using condiment veggies and seaweed.
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Whenever I get hungry, I think about protein/fat first, then grab whatever else I think may be worth including.
    I did dabble for a very short while in ZC. I didn't do it right (mostly muscle meats, never made broth, rarely ate shellfish, etc) and it lasted less than a month so not a real try.

PB, do you think it's possible you may be experiencing Stockholm syndrome? Since you pretty much have to eat VLC due to your condition, I think it makes sense. It shouldn't matter though, and I reckon it's better to like what you have to do than hate it, right? A coworker is gluten free due to an intolerance, but she's pretty miserable about it and since she's a vegetarian (by choice) she's double fucked.
    No not Stockholm at all. I'm not prisoner in something restrictive, I honestly don't like carby foods and only ate a bunch of veggies because I though I was supposed to. It feels liberating to just eat as much as I want of only what I want. What feels restrictive is some forum "wisdom" that each meal must be "balanced".

Quote Originally Posted by specsAreGrok View Post
    For me, I've been considering that my supposed love for big salads and piles of vegetables is really a mental game giving me an excuse to binge and overeat. I've always eaten those things (even before primal) and i think I really do crave/love them, but at the root of it....is a desire to eat as much as possible -- wanting that full/stuff feeling instead of just done eating. Eating a BAS everyday was a nice crutch getting started though...
    This is exactly my experience too. The feeling of a stuffed stomach becomes something you need to learn to get over. Satiation=/=stuffed.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I had watercress last night with dinner. I've never had it before. It's really really good. I know for sure that there are veggies that I simply just plain like. I do think meat (or eggs) needs to be the heart of any meal, though.
    For me it's bell peppers. I could eat them raw just for a tasty snack so they stay in my diet as a condiment around the meaty heart of the meal.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Watercress has a great mild flavor and for a leafy green there is barely any bitterness to speak of so thumbs up for that! It stands up to sautéing and also does wonderful as a salad green. And it reminds me of that old E.B White book The Trumpet of the Swan where the main character, the swan Luis, would only eat watercress sandwiches.

Paleobird Guest
    Last night I invented a new way to use Sea Tangle kelp noodles. I boiled them in a can of clam juice until most of it had soaked into the noodles and reduced down to thick. Then I put in a can of clams, a can of oysters, and a can of crab meat and stirred it up with a bit of cream. Seafood Alfredo Primal style. It was delicious.

Then I had a big chunk of goat for dinner tonight in shroom, onion, garlic, peppers, and broth. I think I am able to mix it up enough to keep things interesting.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Then I had a big chunk of goat for dinner tonight in shroom, onion, garlic, peppers, and broth. I think I am able to mix it up enough to keep things interesting.
    Cabrito~
    NOM!

I get real primal when it's goat eating time... fingers get licked and sucked, so do bones.
    Last time I was down in Miami I was in a little Cuban restaurant and ordered it. And husband and I were drinking the local Cuban beers and dousing the hot sauce and I picked up the bones to suck the marrow... and the restaurant owner came over and sat right don with us and took a break... drank a beer with us. He told me he'd never met a white girl who at their food with such gusto and he appreciated it. Good times.
    I've been declared an "official Floridian" even though I'm an import. <3

Oh, and good job promoting the gut health even without cold potatoes!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Paleobird Guest
    This cabrito was the first meat I've eaten from my new fruit farm meat order. It was so much more tender and juicy than the goat I usually find in the Asian supermarket. The livestock at this place, Eden Tropics, are pampered like house pets because they help out so much around the fruit farm, eating the tree trimmings and any unsalable fruit plus providing a never ending supply of organic fertilizer and getting the owners a discount on their fire insurance because they keep the undergrowth munched. These are happy sheep, cattle, and goats. I'm glad they had a nice life and are now making some wonderful food for me.

And seriously, cold potatoes are bad enough but eating raw potatoes? WTF? I agree with you. Not food.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 01-22-2013 at 10:48 PM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    That sounds like such a smart idea, for the fruit farmer I mean. I wish I was a farmer. I would totally be an avocado rancher.

I ate half a quart of goat yogurt yesterday. I'll eat the other half today.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This cabrito was the first meat I've eaten from my new fruit farm meat order. It was so much more tender and juicy than the goat I usually find in the Asian supermarket. The livestock at this place, Eden Tropics, are pampered like house pets because they help out so much around the fruit farm, eating the tree trimmings and any unsalable fruit plus providing a never ending supply of organic fertilizer and getting the owners a discount on their fire insurance because they keep the undergrowth munched. These are happy sheep, cattle, and goats. I'm glad they had a nice life and are now making some wonderful food for me.

And seriously, cold potatoes are bad enough but eating raw potatoes? WTF? I agree with you. Not food.
    Cabrito is the best, make "seco de cabrito" following this recipe and adjusting for your carnivorous ways: Cilantro Lamb Stew with Potatoes - Seco de Cordero - Recipe for Seco de Cordero (Lamb Stew)

It's my absolute favorite Peruvian dish. I never had it with potatoes like that recipe says, my family makes it with white rice and brown beans (beans usually blended) but the best part is the goat and the ridiculous sauce. The rest is just to be able to feed lots of people, extra calories - not much to do with the taste. Though you best believe I always eat the rice and beans, when they're given to me. If I made this for myself I wouldn't bother, though I'd probably add potatoes... I do love potatoes.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Paleobird Guest
    That sounds like such a smart idea, for the fruit farmer I mean. I wish I was a farmer. I would totally be an avocado rancher.

I ate half a quart of goat yogurt yesterday. I'll eat the other half today.
    I love goat yogurt. Goat kefir is good too.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Cabrito is the best, make "seco de cabrito" following this recipe and adjusting for your carnivorous ways: Cilantro Lamb Stew with Potatoes - Seco de Cordero - Recipe for Seco de Cordero (Lamb Stew)

It's my absolute favorite Peruvian dish.
    Oooh,nice spices. I would probably sub wine for the beer or just go with the broth.

I'm really finding my bone broth to be a central staple in my new diet. It just feels so deeply nourishing.

Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast