Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 2

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I really, really hope that this thread will pull in some carnivorous trolls

Very interesting info PB - thanks for sharing.
    potato revenge *nodding*
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    At least I agree with you about vegetables
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    When did I ever say I was going on an Inuit diet? I do eat nose to tail including organs. According to Steffanson, the Inuit ate their meat cooked whenever they could, only eating raw if they had to due to lack of wood.
    Just saying the Inuit probably had the closest to a carnivorous diet than anybody on the planet ever.

Lack of wood, in the Arctic...lol...'Eskimo' translates to 'eater of raw meat'

_45725771_arctic_512.jpg

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    3)IMO, there is a lot of social conditioning that goes into health conscious people professing to luuuurve their veggies and saying they could never give them up. We happily bite into a raw broccoli stalk dipped in yoghurt dressing but is it really the broccoli or might the dressing with a spoon be even better? I can, as a good cook, *make* any vegetable sit down, shut up, and taste good. With enough cream sauce, melted butter, salt, and spices, sawdust would probably taste good too. Just as we left behind the social conditioning that bread is the staff of life, perhaps we can leave behind the health food social conditioning that veggies are so essential. Personally, if I never eat kale again, it will be too soon.
    I think part of the love of vegetables is that it's one food we can truly eat as much as we want without guilt and even quite a large measure of virtue. I think, at least we women, love a guilt-free binge. Many of us train ourselves to live in a state of chronic deprivation.

Still there are days when I really actually crave certain veggies and they do truly taste great, even just steamed and plain. That's not every day.

Getting enough meat to eat is a challenge, especially surrounded by such a judgmental culture. It can be hard to savor your steak when raised eyebrows are slinging through the air like arrows at you.

Paleobird, are you thinking of making a change to your own diet or are you just figuring out that the diet you've fallen into has a lot in common with these various carnivorous philosophies?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Their digestive systems are built specifically for extracting nutrients from plant matter. It's their ecological niche. We don't have extra stomachs like a cow or long hind guts.
    Okay, so I just misunderstood you. To be clear, you do not believe there are actually phytonutrients in meat?
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 01-16-2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: like nine million typos

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Paleobird, power to you. And to me, since I've given up coffee and my aged look is dissolving, I think I was surely off-base blaming the meat at all.
    But does this mean you'll adjust your macros to lower (relatively) fat, higher (than before) protein?
    Either way, between seafood, eggs and liver with a few avocados, mushrooms and spices, etc., the bases are covered!
    What about berries? Even most straight carnivores love their berries.
    Yay on decaffeinating! The carnivorous premise is, if you stick to all animal products and eat some fatty cuts of meat, the macros sort themselves out. Yea a few berries in mid summer would be a nice garnish on a dish of whipped cream.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    At least I agree with you about vegetables
    There is hope for us yet, Derpy my sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Just saying the Inuit probably had the closest to a carnivorous diet than anybody on the planet ever.
    Lack of wood, in the Arctic...lol...'Eskimo' translates to 'eater of raw meat'
    _45725771_arctic_512.jpg
    I believe they actually cooked with dung most of the time but that aside they did cook. So carnivore=/=all raw carnivore. Not that I have a problem with as I said in the OP steak tartare or sashimi.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think part of the love of vegetables is that it's one food we can truly eat as much as we want without guilt and even quite a large measure of virtue. I think, at least we women, love a guilt-free binge. Many of us train ourselves to live in a state of chronic deprivation.
    Still there are days when I really actually crave certain veggies and they do truly taste great, even just steamed and plain. That's not every day.
    Getting enough meat to eat is a challenge, especially surrounded by such a judgmental culture. It can be hard to savor your steak when raised eyebrows are slinging through the air like arrows at you.

Paleobird, are you thinking of making a change to your own diet or are you just figuring out that the diet you've fallen into has a lot in common with these various carnivorous philosophies?
    I think a lot of dieters use veggies as a bulk filler because we are somehow attached to the feeling of fullness being necessary.

My diet just seems to be heading that general direction of its own accord and I like it. It feels good. My digestive system is happy. I'm sleeping well. No seizures. And it's easy to maintain ketosis if I am not obligated to veggies.

Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    Okay, so I just misunderstood you. To be clear, you do not believe there are actually phytonutrients in meat?
    Of course not. The phytonutrients have been processed into things we can better absorb. I meant we were still getting the benefit from them, just using the cow as the "middleman". Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 01-16-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    _45725771_arctic_512.jpg
    That sir is one HELLUVA assumption.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    That sir is one HELLUVA assumption.
    Yes the Inuit were a people living on the very edges of what humanity could survive without the help of technology. Making any assumptions based on them is inherently flawed. As I said in the OP, the ZIOH site may base their wisdom on the writings of a European person about the Inuit. I am basing my conclusions on 2.5 million years of human evolution.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Nah, I'm sure they are damn near as carnivorous as we know of recent known societies. What I was replying to was Otzi's "on the planet ever" part. Just seemed like one heck of a statement considering all the climate changes throughout evolution and the many societies come and gone and whatnot.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I just want to know...will there be pictures?

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast