Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 19

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Argh I can't stand oysters except those ones in a can soaked in a bunch of oil and smoked. I know this degrades the quality, but I don't know how to make oysters not vomit inducing.

I'm really sensitive to the texture of food, so I can't do raw stuff except egg yolks cause they just tickle me going down.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Paleobird Guest
    Good. More oysters for me if we ever go on a date.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I'm like you, drumroll. Those greens also make *excellent* pestos/herb butters, so thre's a more "carnivore" option for them (than, you know, sautee or salads).
    I've made a sort of pesto sauce replacing the basil for mustard greens once before, just because I was curious what it would taste like. I would not say that it would replace the genuine article for me at this point, but it was good enough for an interesting variant on a theme that I could see myself making it again.

It was kind of like a spicy pesto.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yeah, I should have included herbs/spices in my list because I love pesto and my neighbors grow some great basil.

I have never really liked those bitter greens though. Only ate them because I thought I should. And I came to the honest realization that I don't like sauerkraut, even the good Famers Market kind. I actually threw out a few jars.
    Hell, people always say that herbs and spices are just for flavor, but they forget that these have been used for medicinal purposes for centuries. And they are also stellar antioxidant sources to boot. There is a genuine health value to consuming them.

And I like the spicy greens better because they lack a lot of the bitterness of some of the other greens. Kale, chard, collard greens? Yuck, bitter. Mustard greens, turnip greens, radish greens, and arugula? You don't really notice the bitterness because of the more spicy overtones. Much more palatable.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Hell, people always say that herbs and spices are just for flavor, but they forget that these have been used for medicinal purposes for centuries. And they are also stellar antioxidant sources to boot. There is a genuine health value to consuming them.

And I like the spicy greens better because they lack a lot of the bitterness of some of the other greens. Kale, chard, collard greens? Yuck, bitter. Mustard greens, turnip greens, radish greens, and arugula? You don't really notice the bitterness because of the more spicy overtones. Much more palatable.
    Totally agree with the first paragraph. Second paragraph, those all taste bitter to me. Even spicy/bitter isn't pleasant to me. Although I do like hot spicy things like chile peppers.

Totally agree with the first paragraph. Second paragraph, those all taste bitter to me. Even spicy/bitter isn't pleasant to me. Although I do like hot spicy things like chile peppers.
    I love me some chile peppers. I tend to take almost every recipe I make (self-created or from a book) and add a little bit of fresh chile peppers or some chile pepper powder (I have this amazing habanero powder that I've fallen in love with recently).

Althaur is offline Senior Member
    Absolutely love raw oysters and sashimi. It just gets too freaking expensive since I can eat so much of both. Probably why my wife never wants to go to a sushi restaurant with me.

Oysters need to have some lemon juice and horseradish though. If no, lemon, cocktail sauce with the HR will do.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Althaur View Post
    Absolutely love raw oysters and sashimi. It just gets too freaking expensive since I can eat so much of both. Probably why my wife never wants to go to a sushi restaurant with me.

Oysters need to have some lemon juice and horseradish though. If no, lemon, cocktail sauce with the HR will do.
    I have a great all you can eat Asian seafood restaurant near me. If I stay away from the tempura, I can eat platters of sashimi but mostly I make my own. My local Asian supermarket has a whole section of sushi grade fish. That's also where I get fresh salmon roe.

I have my oysters with lime and a splash of tabasco. Sllluuurrppp.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member

I have my oysters with lime and a splash of tabasco. Sllluuurrppp.
    Chipotle tobasco! <3!!!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    thankfully i dont ever have to buy oysters as i know where to find them. i never manage to do anything other than just shuck and eat them immediately when i get home. i have once had carpet bag hapuka which is a fish fillet stuffed with oysters which is very nice. you can prob do it with steak and oysters too. venison and oysters would be awesome like that i reckon. i've also had squid tubes stuffed with brill and oysters with a blue cheese sauce. equally yummy.

Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast