Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 18

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    BTW, Gorillas also known to "chew their cud" so to speak... by eating the partially digested fecal matter that they pass.
    Yum!
    They sometimes even share it with each other, or other gorillas will steal it and eat it.
    Not going there.
    Cori I know you know farm animals, but you must love you some animal planet too...lol

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Cori I know you know farm animals, but you must love you some animal planet too...lol
    I'm a bit of a nerd.
    Facts stick to me... sometimes they are weird ones.
    Like I always remember that a blue whale has an average penis length of 8 to 10 feet, and I know that is what a "dork" actually is.
    Sometimes conversation is awkward.
    I tend to answer what people intend as rhetorical questions.

Yes, I LOVE documentaries.
    David Attenborough's voice is divine.
    Right up there with Carl Sagan's IMO.
    I like those guys for background noise.
    If there are no decent documentaries on I generally prefer silence and gentle whisper of saltwater pumps...
    While I read something nerdy.
    Last edited by cori93437; 01-20-2013 at 04:47 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Paleobird, if you saw the picture of my meal from the "What have you eaten today thread" that I posted yesterday, you could be proud. Not that I care if you are, but I think you would be.

I pretty much only eat veggies if they a) enhance the flavor of my meal (so I end up using them as faux spices in that way) or b) are fermented because I like getting my probiotics in a natural package (boo expensive pills) and I love the tangy flavors.

I'm slowly going more and more carnivorous myself. Been overloading on eggs too recently.
    Nice!
    I am kind of getting over the whole fermented veggies thing too. I do still get fermented dairy and the digestive system is happy so I don't think they really are necessary. They could be helpful if you are coming back from a bout of antibiotics of something but, I think they are something else that has been "sold" to us as if we *needed* it. If the system is healthy I just don't see the need.

Paleobird Guest
    So, this is how my diet is shaping up on a day to day basis.

grass fed ruminant meat (cow, lamb, goat)
    organ meat (from above critters)
    bone marrow(ditto)
    bone broth (my stock is really concentrated and like really stiff jello. used in cooking and mixed with water to drink)
    eggs
    fish
    shellfish
    crustaceans
    fish roe
    pemmican
    raw dairy products (butter, cream, kefir, cheese, labne)
    "condiment veggies"
    ** avocados
    **onions
    **garlic
    **tomato sauces/salsas
    **bell and chile peppers
    the non-plant veggies i.e. seaweed and mushrooms
    coconut products (manna, oil, cream)
    occasional nuts
    lime and lemon juice squeezed in my Pelegrino
    rooibos tea (high in vitamin C and antioxidants)
    *eta:herbs and spices. Some favs, basil, oregano, garlic, turmeric, cinnamon,nutmeg,paprika

for cooking I use coconut oil for seafood, tallow for meat, and butter for eggs. (that's just the way it tastes best to me)

So, can anybody see any spot where I could be lacking in anything nutritionally essential?
    Last edited by Paleobird; 01-20-2013 at 06:05 PM.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    No you don't NEED the fermented veggies, but dear lord, if you could taste the sauerkraut I get at my local farmer's market you'd be addicted too.

And I LOVE spicy greens like arugula, mustard greens, turnip greens, ect. I could care less about the nutrients I get from them. I don't really use enough in my meals to worry about that anyway. I sauté them along with my meats and kind of let their pungent spiciness infuse into the meat, sauce, marinade, or whatever for the extra flavor. Faux spices as I said. Works like a charm!

Archaeloidic is offline Junior Member
    I applaud what you're doing.

I quietly went 99% carnivore at the end of December 2012 and remained almost entirely so about two weeks (no fruits, vegetables, no anything other than meat & grass-fed butter) before slipping back to what I was before: paleo/primal.

In retrospect, a mistake!

Lesson learned!
    Last edited by Archaeloidic; 01-20-2013 at 05:40 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I'm like you, drumroll. Those greens also make *excellent* pestos/herb butters, so thre's a more "carnivore" option for them (than, you know, sautee or salads).

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I'm like you, drumroll. Those greens also make *excellent* pestos/herb butters, so thre's a more "carnivore" option for them (than, you know, sautee or salads).
    Yeah, I should have included herbs/spices in my list because I love pesto and my neighbors grow some great basil.

I have never really liked those bitter greens though. Only ate them because I thought I should. And I came to the honest realization that I don't like sauerkraut, even the good Famers Market kind. I actually threw out a few jars.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    are you eating all that stuff raw? dunno if I missed that
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    are you eating all that stuff raw? dunno if I missed that
    No, not necessarily. But I do like raw oysters and sashimi and a good steak tartare now and then.

Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast