Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 16

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Confession:

I was cooking up some yukon gold potatoes last night.
    Not "plain" either the way 'dude' advocates them... they were roasted in garlic, herb, curry bone broth /w some butter to make a bit of crust on the bottom and prevent stickage.
    These were for the guys in my house who eat a little higher carb than me. Not lotsa carbs every day, but a few times a week.

So I tried a potato(really a half a med. potato)... plain. Well, as plain as it came out of that pan. BLEH.
    Bland. Why would I eat that?
    So I took a few healthy spoons of chicken schmaltz and drippings and squashed it into it. Suddenly it tasted fine. LOL
    But I needed to add a what 'dude' would consider a obscene amount of fat to make it tasty.

I ate my asparagus and chicken w/skin and all the fatty drippings all over the asparagus.
    And that little bit of potato.
    The potato did not make me feel any more full than if I had not eaten it.

Another confession: I also tried to bite into a raw slice.
    I literally SPIT.
    WTF.
    That is not food.

'Dude' is off his rocker I think.

End result.
    No, I don't need no stinking potatoes.
    If I want to eat some carbs I'll eat some that actually taste really good, like baked black plantains.
    Exactly zero additives are required to make them delicious... like decadent dessert delicious.
    I reserve them for treats.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

cobalamin is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Their digestive systems are built specifically for extracting nutrients from plant matter. It's their ecological niche. We don't have extra stomachs like a cow or long hind guts.
    This isn't entirely true.

1) Not all vegetation is fibrous. There is high fiber greens such as grass and low fiber greens such as lettuce.

2) Vegetation is 90-95% water. Where can I get 2 liters of water per day without the tap?

2) Mammals have bitter receptors on their tongue. Raw spinach/grass is bitter and freshly picked raw lettuce and other greens are sweet. Follow your instincts. - Evolution of Bitter Taste Receptors in Humans and Apes

3) We have a bigger brain and smaller mouth. Hence the intelligence to properly chew the non-bitter edible leaves and a feeding restriction of a small mouth which forces us to properly chew the food. Gorillas are too stupid to chew their food properly and just chew it a couple times and then gobble it down. Cows on the other hand regurgitate their food and chew it over 150 times to break down the cell walls. Bacteria cannot break down cell walls, if they could, trees would start to fall.

Carnivores? Where can I get magnesium, calcium and vitamin k? Should I start grinding down bones?

The science tells me omnivores and it tells me that paleolithic humans ate a boat load of edible leaves. Hence their large bones which is the result of their high intake of minerals.

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    No, I don't need no stinking potatoes.
    * absconds gleefully with cori's share of potatoes *

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    have my share of starchy carbs too Panda. I tried to have sweet potato and pumpkin with dinner last night, still not very high carb but it made me feel terrible after. I def do not need starchy carbs. I thought id experiment, but yeah won't be doing that again.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Panda View Post
    * absconds gleefully with cori's share of potatoes *
    I have to admit, once I had smashed like 3 Tbs of schmaltz drippins into maybe 1/3 c. of potato...

An abomination of approximately equal portions of fat and carb, it was pretty tasty.
    But at that point it is just an undeniable fat delivery system... and I also will quite happily slurp that schmaltz/drippins right off the spoon.
    But less of it I suppose.
    I probably didn't need that amount of schmaltz, it was more than enough for my asparagus to backstroke in.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    have my share of starchy carbs too Panda. I tried to have sweet potato and pumpkin with dinner last night, still not very high carb but it made me feel terrible after. I def do not need starchy carbs.
    Panda's Potato Hoard grows ever higher!!!

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobalamin View Post
    Carnivores? Where can I get magnesium, calcium and vitamin k? Should I start grinding down bones?

The science tells me omnivores and it tells me that paleolithic humans ate a boat load of edible leaves. Hence their large bones which is the result of their high intake of minerals.
    Not saying you gotta be a carnivore but come on man. Just wow dude. Were do you get your vitamin K and minerals? Is that even a real question....

Gorillas are stupid and so they don't chew their food? By your logic cows are smarter than gorillas then?

Paleolithic humans ate a lot of leaves and this is where they got their large bones from? Are you for real?
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-20-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Shelli is offline Senior Member
    Potatoes just don't thrill me any more. The love affair is over. Even baked sweet potatoes. Even dripping with butter. I've had too many years of cooking for meat n' potatoes people. I make potato salad about twice a month and eat that happily, but nothing else. And again, that's really just a delivery system for mustardy dill mayo. My husband likes to eat healthily and I have cooked extra veggies for five years...only to have him tell me last month that he really doesn't care for a lot of what I've cooked. We're heading towards carnivorousness here, too. Suits me fine as long as I can have some buttered broc now and again.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    If I want to eat some carbs I'll eat some that actually taste really good, like baked black plantains.
    we only get green plantains here. are the black ones a different type or are they overripe in the same way a banana goes black?

Paleobird Guest
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Not saying you gotta be a carnivore but come on man. Just wow dude. Were do you get your vitamin K and minerals? Is that even a real question....

Gorillas are stupid and so they don't chew their food? By your logic cows are smarter than gorillas then?

Paleolithic humans ate a lot of leaves and this is where they got their large bones from? Are you for real?
    NH, That is the same dude who, on another thread was saying how domestic pets should all be eradicated because they "have sex with our women" and "give us diseases and acne". Out to lunch.

Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast