Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 12

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    Potted is a specific method of serving meat/shellfish. It's sort of like pate, but not quite. Sort of like terrine, but not quite.
    Think gentleman's relish, think servants bringing tea and toast - about 4pm, in the library.
    Potted means cooked, seasoned and smooshed into a ramekin and then covered with the cooking juices and melted butter and allows to cool until set/sealed by butter.
    Sounds like rillettes. I had the pork version recently and it was a real treat.
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I always thought potted meat was something like devilled ham, you know the kind in the white paper-wrapped can with the little devil on it? Way too processed to be any good for you.

Anyway, I keep a lot of people around here who add little value on my ignore list and it helps a lot.

Last night I had to have dinner alone so yay, I made a HUGE steak. It was so good.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Oh that's interesting. I didn't know that the DC site was an offshoot of ZIOH.
    Along that same line--ZIOH is an off-shoot of Jimmy Moore's LLVLC forum. C Washington was a moderator over there. The two had a falling out over (mostly) the efficacy of a long-term ZC diet. Jimmy invited him to start his own site, which he did, obviously. It's all one big family. Or so it seems…

Unless one has a medical/health condition that requires specific intervention, I'm now starting to believe that any diet that eliminates processed junk, recommends real food and moderate exercise can be a healthy diet. Excess weight may not be the health threat we've been led to believe; in the same twists of the studies that made people "know" saturated fat and red meat were killers.
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

janie is offline Senior Member
    Paleobird-
    I've been a member here for sometime but rarely post. I just want to say how much I appreciate your posts. This is another good one! Like you and so many others here I eat a relatively low carb diet because that is what works for me. . I'll look forward to reading further about your experience with your new plan.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I could never give up limes, particularly key limes, either... so I'm safe.
    My meat comes from a farm that raises lemons and limes but just keeps some animals as a side line for underbrush control. One of the perks of ordering is that you get to pick all the fruit you can carry. Next time I'm bringing a bigger bag. Lemon/lime Pelegrino is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    cerviche with lime juice... yumm!!!!
    Another winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    How was todays food PB?
    6 eggs for mid morning meal. 2 lamb shoulder chops sfor dinner in Indian hot sauce. Rooibos tea with raw hwc. This morning I'm not hungry at all. Interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    badgergirl, the potted shrimp looks wonderful. Shrimp and butter - what's not to love.
    Two of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    We are actually able to head out and get our own -- forage for it! It's amazing! There are certain limits, but overall. . .yeah. People are always right outside of our house getting mussels. We went out with a couple the other day, and they were telling us all kinds of interesting foraging stuff.
    When I was a kid you could forage for shellfish on the rocks in San Diego including nice big abalone but they are gone now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    I don't know why you started listening to him in the first place. The guy is a complete fruitcake. From browsing their forum it doesn't take long to realize they are all complete loonies. They don't sound interested in health at all, only espousing their cult like fringe views.
    Please read the OP again. Particularly the part about this being something I'm investigating. There are some interesting scientific references and such on that site among the personal nuttiness. I dismiss him because he doesn't see the value in nose to tail eating or in grass fed meat, not because he (and disciples) are carnivores.
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    I finished reading my kids the book "My Side of the Mountain." Anyone remember that? The boy in the book runs off to live off the land---but in the winter is eating mainly venison and starts to feel unwell...UNTIL he begins to eat lots and lots of rabbit livers! Vitamin C it is!
    Oh, Yeah! I had that book as a kid. I think I'll take the lamb liver out to thaw and start on a batch of pate'
    Quote Originally Posted by TCOHTom View Post
    Along that same line--ZIOH is an off-shoot of Jimmy Moore's LLVLC forum. C Washington was a moderator over there. The two had a falling out over (mostly) the efficacy of a long-term ZC diet. Jimmy invited him to start his own site, which he did, obviously. It's all one big family. Or so it seems…

Unless one has a medical/health condition that requires specific intervention, I'm now starting to believe that any diet that eliminates processed junk, recommends real food and moderate exercise can be a healthy diet. Excess weight may not be the health threat we've been led to believe; in the same twists of the studies that made people "know" saturated fat and red meat were killers.
    Wow. That's a bit incestuous. I think that any diet that makes you be cognizant of what is going in your face, stop and think before eating, is helpful.
    I disagree on the excess weight thing although of course there are people who take their quest for the perfect body to unhealthy skinny levels. I was perfectly healthy by biomarkers with 30 extra pounds on me but I *feel* so much better without it. I really think long term damage issues such as wear and tear on knees have to be taken in to account too.

Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    Paleobird-
    I've been a member here for sometime but rarely post. I just want to say how much I appreciate your posts. This is another good one! Like you and so many others here I eat a relatively low carb diet because that is what works for me. . I'll look forward to reading further about your experience with your new plan.
    Thank you Janie and Welcome.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 01-18-2013 at 10:29 AM.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    cerviche with lime juice... yumm!!!!
    and what may I ask Seas is cerviche ???? it sounds a little internal ???? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    People are always right outside of our house getting mussels.
    and seas and zoes please be careful getting shellfish around NZ in the summer. I realise that it is mainly a problem in the north, but those diseases that you can get from infected shellfish are NASTY !!!!!

Cori - thanx for the lime heads up. I need to experiment a little more

PB - you rock

G x
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    sorry - found cerviche !!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

patski is offline Senior Member
    LOVE this thread, Robyn. So much so, that you are now fixed in my signature

While I don't think I could ever go ZC (love my sweet potatoes too much), when I did experiment with verrrrry low carb, I was very clear headed, mood was stable, but I also felt like a fucking VULCAN. Like my emotions had FLATLINED. That and my heart was racing at night and it woke me up. So I figured since I have no need to be ZC or even VLC, I stopped. But it is fascinating nonetheless.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    and seas and zoes please be careful getting shellfish around NZ in the summer. I realise that it is mainly a problem in the north, but those diseases that you can get from infected shellfish are NASTY !!!!!
    it is too cold down here to get anything i think. i have stopped breathing from shock at the cold leaping in the sea one hot summers day when even the sand was too hot to walk on bare foot!

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    yum PB that food sounds good!

Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast