Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 11

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    That sounds like what is called rickets in people also caused by a lack of calcium and vit D
    yes in this case, the cause of the lack of calcium was too much phosphorous displacing the calcium. it was very fascinating and my friend's vet, who was apparently some kind of expert, referred to the not walking kitten's swift recovery after the addition of bone meal as a "miracle". i only worked it out by accident with google and a late night puzzling session. said kitten is now a full grown female cat who has even happily birthed kittens.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I could never give up limes, particularly key limes, either... so I'm safe.
    I adore those little things.
    So many things deserve a squirt of LIME!
    Guac....
    Water...
    Shrimp and pretty much anything else out of the water...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    cerviche with lime juice... yumm!!!!

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    "Potted" is Brit-speak for canned I think.
    So late to the party...godamn work making me actually too busy to surf.
    Potted is a specific method of serving meat/shellfish. It's sort of like pate, but not quite. Sort of like terrine, but not quite.
    Think gentleman's relish, think servants bringing tea and toast - about 4pm, in the library.
    Potted means cooked, seasoned and smooshed into a ramekin and then covered with the cooking juices and melted butter and allows to cool until set/sealed by butter.
    this is a good example: How to cook perfect potted shrimps | Life and style | The Guardian
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    bah, not worth commenting. Over it now, don't care what anyone else thinks of what works for me.

How was todays food PB?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    badgergirl, the potted shrimp looks wonderful. Shrimp and butter - what's not to love.

As to SPAM, I confess that if it weren't so full of chemicals, I'd eat it often. Fry it 'til it starts to blacken and serve with fried eggs. I used to live in a town in central WA state that had an annual Manly Man Festival, and one of the events was creating recipes using it. Some people would make busts out of it. heh.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Interesting. Shellfish has been so overfished here that it has become rather a pricy delicacy. I know some people who hate shellfish but slurp them down anyway because they are chic. Personally, I think I am descended from coastal living Groks. I don't feel right without my seafood.
    We are actually able to head out and get our own -- forage for it! It's amazing! There are certain limits, but overall. . .yeah. People are always right outside of our house getting mussels. We went out with a couple the other day, and they were telling us all kinds of interesting foraging stuff. Got their number, so we're hoping to do some different foraging.

Holidays are different for different people. You and I probably do a lot more walking, hiking, etc. but some people sit by the pool sipping sweet drinks. So I guess that could vary a lot.
    True. That is not my idea of fun. It can be nice, but I do need to be on the move.

When Dh and I went to sweden for the first time, we landed in Stockholm at about 8 am. We got through customs and through town to the BnB at about 9 am. We chatted with the owners until 11 am. We then went for lunch/breakfast, and the subsequently walked from one end of stockholm to the other. We walked from about noon until 7 pm or so, when we got chinese take-away. We then walked back to our home base, which was at least a 40 minute walk! We had dinner, and passed out around 9 pm. And then slept for 14 hrs!

But, we spent every day thereafter walking for hours and hours on end, exploring all of the nooks and crannies in the city.

This is what we do. When we were on holiday with the ILs, we not only hiked with them, but we also got to go on several walks just DH and I. So nice. We did one 5 hour walk that was so beyond pleasant. Lovely coastal walk, hardly a soul around, and enjoyed a nice winding road through a sheep station (overlooking the sea). Truly a good time was had by all.

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    [QUOTE=JoanieL;1065434]badgergirl, the potted shrimp looks wonderful. Shrimp and butter - what's not to love.

Done well = food of the gods. I've had them served as a starter in a castle (Castle Hotel England | Lake District Hotels | Boutique hotels Lake District | Yorkshire castle hotel | Lake District castle wedding | Yorkshire boutique hotels) and you cannot beat that for Downton Abbey style eats/life.

(Did I mention I'm homesick?)
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    One of the reasons I stopped listening to the leader of the ZIOH bunch was because he proudly and confidently states that he eats only muscle meats and thinks things like liver are gross. .
    I don't know why you started listening to him in the first place. The guy is a complete fruitcake. From browsing their forum it doesn't take long to realize they are all complete loonies. They don't sound interested in health at all, only espousing their cult like fringe views.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I finished reading my kids the book "My Side of the Mountain." Anyone remember that? The boy in the book runs off to live off the land---but in the winter is eating mainly venison and starts to feel unwell...UNTIL he begins to eat lots and lots of rabbit livers! Vitamin C it is!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast