Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Adventures in Carnivorousness page 10

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Oh, and to address your other points:

I'm a humanitarian. This is why I answered her the way I did.
    nihil

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Steffanson in Fat of the Land says that most of the meat he ate while living with the Inuit was boiled.

He made a big point that meat has to be fresh. It can't be "potted" (what exactly that means I'm not sure.) Sometimes if I eat a lot of canned meat rather than fresh, I don't feel nearly as good as when I eat a rare and bloody steak, so there must be something to it. A rare steak is like a slap in the face, bracing and invigorating to my vitality.

Sailors on ships sometimes would land on shore and go hunting in order to halt scurvy. They could not always do this. I think the issue with the lime juice was that it was preserved (cooked and bottled) so the vitamin C was already destroyed. They really didn't know what the hell they were doing back then.

I've made my own pemmican. It's really not difficult at all. I slice the meat as thin as I can, dehydrate it in my cheap crappy dehydrator until crispy and use my crappy blender to pulverize it. I use US Wellness or local grass-fed beef tallow. I add salt despite what Lex Rooker says. It is not good without salt. It's not very good with salt, either, but it's fabulous when I melt it into other things on backpacking trips.
    "Potted" is Brit-speak for canned I think. The Inuit boiled the meat but ate the broth too. Perhaps British potted meats were overcooked and didn't include the juices.

The main cause of scurvy is vitamin C deficiency. How Jaminet thinks more starch is going to help that i don't know. Thankfully two of my favorite foods, liver and oysters are some of the top sources of vitamin C around. I don't think scurvy should be a concern.

I've made my own pemmican too and it can be quite tasty when you spice it right.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    "Potted" is Brit-speak for canned I think
    i always thought potted meats were those totally overcooked ones which went like a meat spread and were put in a crock covered in butter. kind of like pate? like so
    BBC - Food - Recipes : Spiced potted beef

i did not know about oysters having vit C in. i have always read about their zinc content as that is where there supposed aphrodisiac qualities come from. thankfully i like oysters too and can just go for a wade at low tide and find a few when the fancy takes me.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Yes, liver contains vitamin C...
    Chicken liver for instance, 1oz has about 13% DV.
    Pork is about the same.

A cup of 10% fat multi-strain greek yogurt has 25% DV of you'd like a rich little dairy treat too...
    C isn't that hard to get from easily digestible places... and without starch.

I have a local source for organic pastured adrenals, but I can never find any nutrition info on them.
    And three of the top ten on this list are also favs of mine, bell peppers, herbs/spices, and hot chile peppers. Those are all things that are staying are garnishments to my meat.http://www.healthaliciousness.com/ar.../vitamin-C.php

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    She's probably the most childish uncivil person I've ever had the displeasure of exchanging forum posts with.
    Well that certainly means I haven't been trying hard enough.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i always thought potted meats were those totally overcooked ones which went like a meat spread and were put in a crock covered in butter. kind of like pate? like so
    BBC - Food - Recipes : Spiced potted beef

i did not know about oysters having vit C in. i have always read about their zinc content as that is where there supposed aphrodisiac qualities come from. thankfully i like oysters too and can just go for a wade at low tide and find a few when the fancy takes me.
    Maybe like spam? Ewww.
    This is from a website about scurvy:http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/155758.php

How can scurvy be prevented?

Scurvy can be prevented by consuming enough vitamin C, either in the diet or as a supplement. Foods that contain vitamin C include:

Bell peppers
    Paprika
    Liver
    Oysters

Maybe like spam? Ewww.
    what i call spam is that nebulous dyed pink fatty meat in tins that is slightly chunky and really could be anything. this i think is more like meat spread you get in jars and spread on sandwiches?

Paleobird Guest
    One of the reasons I stopped listening to the leader of the ZIOH bunch was because he proudly and confidently states that he eats only muscle meats and thinks things like liver are gross. Because he is an athletically gifted individual who runs marathons, he exhibits this as "proof" that you don't need anything other than muscle meat.

He seriously says he eats mostly pemmican with occasional regular beef plus water, that's it.

I think THOSE are the people who get scurvy and give carnivorous eating a bad name.

kittens get some interesting ailments if they just get muscle meats. it puts their calcium out as they get too much phosphorous so they get prone to breaking bones and also cease to be able to walk. that was a rather simplistic explanation but i have seen this with my own eyes. they were fixed adding bone meal to their deit and giving them minced chicken necks. no animal in the wild just eats exclusively muscle meats altho i have heard of animals which live off blood.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    kittens get some interesting ailments if they just get muscle meats. it puts their calcium out as they get too much phosphorous so they get prone to breaking bones and also cease to be able to walk. that was a rather simplistic explanation but i have seen this with my own eyes. they were fixed adding bone meal to their deit and giving them minced chicken necks. no animal in the wild just eats exclusively muscle meats altho i have heard of animals which live off blood.
    That sounds like what is called rickets in people also caused by a lack of calcium and vit D.

My bone broth I think is going to be very helpful in being a healthy carnivore,

I also found that my beloved rooibos tea is high in vitamin C.

Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast