Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: carnivory experiment journal page

seaweed is offline Senior Member

carnivory experiment journal

Primal Fuel
    when i did my 52 new things to try for 2013, i put down a week of carnivory as i so couldnt face the thought of a week of raw veges and fruits. then i got ill, long story short, i got nasty native nettle poisoning so i was off food for the day. that day i did a couple of cups of coffee, lots of water and had some roast pork belly for dinner and thought. i will keep going. so i did. i am limiting myself to an approximation of 1200 cals a day. so far, i generally am hitting equal fat and protein ratios. usually zero carb altho i have made it as high as 4g or so with things like a smidgen of chopped red onion and lemon juice in my raw fish salad. i am also throwing in the odd coconut product. this is based on figures for everything from a random US calorie counting site. www.nutritiondata.self.com so it could be wrong as all our meat is grass fed. and i just count steak, not the cut etc. so it prob not scintillatingly accurate.

i made it thru week 1. now onto day 9. co-incidentally weighed on day 4 and day 8. same approx time of day. same clothes as i was at the gym and have a 2kg loss. i dont really eat carbs so i doubt it is just water. i have no carb flu symptoms and my pee smelt ketoney on the first few days and still does in the morning. what else? i can still lift the same weights and i dont bunk off ever so it is always challenging. i get the brain fog after heavy training but i usually get that so no diff there. i can still walk up hill and down dale with no noticeable effects and i can still do stuff like rock climb around the beach. my thought processes are clearing too.

so....... i am going to keep going for 2 weeks. i will put my observations here so i have something to look back on. right now i am tending towards getting in more raw meat or kai moana. loved the raw fish salad. not so hot on the raw liver salad lol

another thing i was wondering about is do carnivores eat honey? i know there is hot debate in the vegan camp as it is an animal product. i wondered as i got some fish i was smoking and usually you put salt and sugar on it. i have a mate who puts honey on too. i didnt have any honey at the time so it was a moot point but i still wondered.

any input from anyone with carnivory experience would be welcome =)

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Go Seaweed !!!!! Fantastic thread, I am so looking forward to hearing your experiences, and I might just try this myself.... one day !
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I am practically carnivore right now, I am loving it.
    I am looking forward to see how this works for you

the other thing is, after my pesco paleo whole 30 and how much better i felt, i am approx evening up the 06 fats in the meat with 03 by taking fish oil. i dont bother if i have kai moana. and the 03/06 figures i have are from that US site so could well be out anyways due to OMG not grass feeding those poor sheep and cows. that so wierds me out but that is a total other story.

plus i am having at least one mug of broth a day. currently pork broth.

plotting steak tartare for dinner. but may just have the hogget chops in the fridge fried with some garlic and rosemary if they need eating.

Ayla it is the ratios of fat to protein i am struggling with with carnivory as i always end up way high on the protein. i still cant get my head around having say a tbsp of coconut oil to bump my fat up when i could have 100g steak ( give or take ) or a couple of hard boiled eggs for the same calorie amount. i cant just have more coffee and cream to up my fat as i have ID'd too much coffee as a serious problem. i guess i could put more cream in my coffee and i may well consider that but i am trying also to move away from dairy reliance.

ooh my other mish today is to make some niter kibbeh. i will then grind up some steak and try some kitfo i think it is spelt tomorrow maybe.

How many times are you eating a day though?
    I am doing a BP coffee in the morning, and a meal later in the day. I have chicken bone broth if I need it (or in place of a meal if I am doing a half fast). I couldn't eat any more than this.
    I too want to move away from relying on dairy, but ill worry about that later.

3 times a day as i still have to feed the kids. school hols right now. no snacks unless you count a mug of bone broth mid morning. i never did get the hang of BP coffee. i do prefer it with ghee to butter. maybe i should try it again now i have some coconut oil i actual like and add that too.

yeah coconut oil makes it nice, and that is more fat to keep you satisfied.
    I could not eat anymore times a day.
    Maybe try to transition to 2 times? I only eat dinner with my children, it kinda worried me a bit, but I am teaching them to eat when hungry, and not to force it.

my plan when they go back to school is to see if i can transition it down. mine always claim to be hungry as an excuse for absolutely all bad behaviours too and are always yelling about being hungry literally an hour after they have eaten enough food to make me incapable of moving. i have all sorts of issues with food so working thru them is important as well. currently i am winning. i went out in my daisy dukes as it had been hot this morning. something went seriously wrong around about lunch with the weather. when i was in the supermarket i got accosted by some random woman who commented on how good my legs were. this has not happened before. it is usually men who do it. so all the training must be doing something for the muscle definition lol all once a week of it.

dithering still about dinner. the kids are having sheppard's pie so no way can i carnivore that. i remembered some smoked salmon so i may have that and try some of the dip recipe i posted a link to on the kiwi thread. or i may just go hogget chops with some creamed coconut as desert as they need eating. i feel like a millionaire with so many choices. i have some mussels too but i can freeze them.

k ended up with bone in fatty hogget chops and a smidgen of smoked salmon as both of them needed eating and i didnt have enuf calories left in the day to get to the mussels. what i am finding. since the last couple of days i had some carbs. OMG a whole 2 or 3g. plus it could also more specifically have been the creamed coconut. i am now feeling that wanting to eat the horse urge. my kids would prob disown me if i did eat the actual horse lol eating horse meat is a bit of a taboo subject in the younger generation of my family. my second daughter who would in all likelyhood bbq your child if she was even slightly hungry would starve decoratively to death with her horse before she would eat it!

so today's food. note due to my caffeine addiction. i allow myself 3 c of coffee a day with 4tsp of cream in each. which is a huge ass improvement on my past consumption.

B: camembert omlette with coffee with cream
    cup of pork broth mid morning
    L: small ribeye steak, one hard boiled egg and 2 rashers of streaky bacon. 15g creamed coconut for dessert.
    coffee with cream.
    D: hogget chop bone in. smidgen of hot smoked salmon. <=50g?
    coffee with cream.

i managed some water today despite the sudden change in temp. plus one cup of black rooibos. am gonna have a cup of peppermint and linden tea when the kids go to bed.

I never manage to give up coffee for long. I have tried, many times.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast