Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: carnivory experiment journal page 9

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    How are you approaching the raw options?

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    How are you approaching the raw options?
    i am looking up traditional recipes for raw meat /fish or shellfish and trying them. i posted a thread in the recipes section of some of the recipes i already know or use. eg raw fish salad which i have seen called kokda i think? or toroi. my plan so far has been to try to do one raw meat or fish meal a day. today i did kitfo for lunch which is an etheopian dish. melt a tbsp of nitter kibbeh ( essentially spiced ghee ), turn the heat off and stir in about 100g ground beef with 1/2 tsp or so each of ground cardamon and cayenne. it was really nice.

i had cooked steak and kidneys in blue cheese sauce for dinner which was also really good.

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i am looking up traditional recipes for raw meat /fish or shellfish and trying them. i posted a thread in the recipes section of some of the recipes i already know or use. eg raw fish salad which i have seen called kokda i think? or toroi. my plan so far has been to try to do one raw meat or fish meal a day. today i did kitfo for lunch which is an etheopian dish. melt a tbsp of nitter kibbeh ( essentially spiced ghee ), turn the heat off and stir in about 100g ground beef with 1/2 tsp or so each of ground cardamon and cayenne. it was really nice.

i had cooked steak and kidneys in blue cheese sauce for dinner which was also really good.
    Oooooh, kitfo is delish...

Oooooh, kitfo is delish...
    how do you make it? gored gored looks good too.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Have you ever made Peruvian ceviche? it's very simple and delicious. I forget which fish is ideal for it, but any firm white fish will do (the recipe I'm linking uses tilapia). You can dress it up and make it fancier but personally I just cube up the fish, marinate it in lime juice for a half hour to an hour, season with salt and pepper and go to town. Normally I'd do it with sweet potato, it's one of my absolute favorite carb refeed style meals. The marinate juice is called "tiger's milk" and you should drink it!
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

i make a pacific version of cerviche by adding coconut milk and you keep all the juice in the dish. just mix it in. right now i have been using lemons as limes are silly money over here atm. i've been eyeing shellfish ceviche recipes which use shellfish and my plan was to try maybe scallop ceviche this week. do you have it with hot or cold sweet potatoes?

on the subject of BO coffee which i usually avoid. check this out!
    Primal North Recipes: Saltwater Keto Coffee - Round out your amino profile
    could be quite good for those going out in the bush and dont think i will be back for 24hrs sort of missions. especially if you dont take any food and have no shelter and have to stay the night!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Have you ever made Peruvian ceviche? it's very simple and delicious. I forget which fish is ideal for it, but any firm white fish will do (the recipe I'm linking uses tilapia). You can dress it up and make it fancier but personally I just cube up the fish, marinate it in lime juice for a half hour to an hour, season with salt and pepper and go to town. Normally I'd do it with sweet potato, it's one of my absolute favorite carb refeed style meals. The marinate juice is called "tiger's milk" and you should drink it!
    Dude... you forgot an important part of the Peruvian ceviche... the Ahi Amarillo/ahi limon (or Habanero if you live in America and can't get an Ahi.) That's what makes it called "tiger-y".
    And lot's of people can't take it.
    They dumb it down here in FL and just dash in a bit of hot sauce when it's for public consumption.

Better than tilapia is seabass or mahi. Something firmer.
    I just don't like freshwater fish for this salt water, left partially raw, application. Bad joo joo IMO.
    Especially tilapia which are intensely farmed... higher potential for parasites.
    And make no doubt, the fish should be left partially raw.

Also... you forgot the linky.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i make a pacific version of cerviche by adding coconut milk and you keep all the juice in the dish. just mix it in. right now i have been using lemons as limes are silly money over here atm. i've been eyeing shellfish ceviche recipes which use shellfish and my plan was to try maybe scallop ceviche this week. do you have it with hot or cold sweet potatoes?
    Interesting, coconut milk is not at all traditional for us so I've never thought of that. I prefer cold sweet potatoes (since the dish is usually served cold) but sometimes I've had them warm, depending on the timing of the people cooking. Sometimes it's served with cold white potatoes, and a side of corn. Peruvians also use this other type of corn that doesn't pop, looks like a big kernel. It's probably not paleo but it's so good. I love the crunchiness it adds.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Dude... you forgot an important part of the Peruvian ceviche... the Ahi Amarillo/ahi limon (or Habanero if you live in America and can't get an Ahi.) That's what makes it called "tiger-y".
    And lot's of people can't take it.
    They dumb it down here in FL and just dash in a bit of hot sauce when it's for public consumption.

Better than tilapia is seabass or mahi. Something firmer.
    I just don't like freshwater fish for this salt water, left partially raw, application. Bad joo joo IMO.
    Especially tilapia which are intensely farmed... higher potential for parasites.
    And make no doubt, the fish should be left partially raw.

Also... you forgot the linky.
    I know! I came back here like wtf I forgot the link. Simple Peruvian Ceviche Recipe - Food.com - 111154

Also I love the aji of course, but when I make it for myself I don't always bother with that step - too lazy!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast