Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cooked vs dry measurments page

MJT515 is offline Junior Member

cooked vs dry measurments

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,

I am just starting out on Primal and have three questions. Should veggies, for example greens, be measured raw or cooked? 2 cups of cooked vs raw is a big difference in volume. I want to be sure to get between 100-150 grams of carbs. I did Atkins about 7-9 years ago and lost a ton of weight but I was SO carb restrictive that I felt I was dying. I had a horrible color, always really cold and tired. The tiredness was the worst part. This time around I am alot older and want to do this right. I want to lose weight and have enough energy to have an active lifestyle. I plan on joining Krav Maga and want to do well.

My second question is: Is it alright to eat mostly coconut oil, olive oil and avocados for fats instead of animal fats. The reason for this question is that I eat Biblically. The Bible says to not eat any animal fat and thats what I follow. and yes I do know what is allowed rabbinically but I don't care. I only follow what the Word says. Will an avocado a day ruin any chance of losing weight?

My final question is: If i lose all the excess weight that I would like to lose, about 80lbs, and add A LOT of lean muscle mass, will this muscle mass make it easier to keep the weight off? Meaning that if I slip up and binge as i did at least once on Atkins, will I have a hardcore layer of lean muscle mass underneath a triple layer of fat or will it be easier to stay thinner? I hope that makes sense.

I have been overwieght since i was 4 months old. I have successfully lost 86 lbs before and kept it off for 2 years, but then i slacked. I am now older and i don't drink alcohol, or smoke or do drugs anymore. I am kosher, and gluten and diary free. I have been 90% grain and legume free for the last month and i havn't even started primal diet yet. I don't drink anything but water or sugarless tea. i don't even use natural sweetners other than honey or vanilla extract. i am 100% fastfood free and have been for at least 1 year. i want to succeed.

thanks,
    aurora

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MJT515 View Post
    Is it alright to eat mostly coconut oil, olive oil and avocados for fats instead of animal fats. The reason for this question is that I eat Biblically. The Bible says to not eat any animal fat and thats what I follow. and yes I do know what is allowed rabbinically but I don't care. I only follow what the Word says.
    Acts 10:15b "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."

But more seriously, those three fats sound fine. Do you eat fat from eggs?

If i lose all the excess weight that I would like to lose, about 80lbs, and add A LOT of lean muscle mass, will this muscle mass make it easier to keep the weight off?
    Yes, if you have more muscle tissue then that will raise your BEE (Base energy expenditure) and help prevent weight gain, since you have more muscle tissue to sustain.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 01-16-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

thanks

[QUOTE=magicmerl;1063937]Acts 10:15b "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."

But more seriously, those three fats sound fine. Do you eat fat from eggs?

Yes, if you have more muscle tissue then that will raise your BEE (Base energy expenditure) and help prevent weight gain, since you have more muscle tissue to sustain.[/QUOT

Thank you for your help. Yes I do eat eggs, I didn't consider that. I will rethink that. I am also aware that primal is not low carb, that is why I want to figure out how much is 150grams of carbs.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I'm a little confused. Do you eat meat?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

yes, i just started eating meat on Dec. 3rd.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Yes, you measure by pre-cooked weight.

Vegetable fat is fine, it's what I've been eating myself for awhile, since I don't eat much meat. I supplement with coconut oil, 2 tablespoon daily.

A binge once in awhile is not going to kill you. Having added muscle mass doesn't do very much to negate the effect of the binge since muscle burns more calories but not significantly more. We're talking about an extra 1-200 calories a day maybe. Cheating once in awhile is fine, don't worry too much about it.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MJT515 View Post
    yes, i just started eating meat on Dec. 3rd.
    Then you are eating animal fat.
    I too am confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Yes, you measure by pre-cooked weight.

Vegetable fat is fine, it's what I've been eating myself for awhile, since I don't eat much meat. I supplement with coconut oil, 2 tablespoon daily.

A binge once in awhile is not going to kill you. Having added muscle mass doesn't do very much to negate the effect of the binge since muscle burns more calories but not significantly more. We're talking about an extra 1-200 calories a day maybe. Cheating once in awhile is fine, don't worry too much about it.
    thanks so much. i was getting stressed about the amount of carbs, and if i would have enough energy. i don't want to over do it or under do it.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    What's being said is that virtually all animal products, even the leanest cut of meats and birds have some fat. There are some shellfish that are close to having no fat, but not sure as to whether you eat those. I know that bottom feeders have a negative connotation for some people.

I'm wondering if in the bible, they were referring to visible fat. I'm so clueless as to bible stuff because I withdrew at an early age.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    An interpretation I read a while back, was that the section in Leviticus is an exhortation for the people to offer the best to God in their sacrifice. Apparently the israelites were killing the animal and only offering the lean muscle meat as a sacrifice, keeping the choicest bits (the fat) for themselves and eating it.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast