Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: "our bodies attack pork as a virus"....where does this come from? page 12

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Ok tough lady, you win.

Still though, it makes you wonder why billions of people dont eat it for various reasons. Mostly because it is unclean.
    This is a bad method of logic IMO. The reason: pork is the MOST consumed meat IN THE WORLD!

So while it may not be eaten by Muslims and Jews, it is still eaten more collectively by anyone else.

Lard is traditional in Asia. It was traditionally the most consumed meat in the US as well due to its ability to be cured and therefore could be shipped large distances. But again, read the link I posted many pages ago. The issue is that pork seems to coagulate the blood where other meats to not in its raw, unprocessed form. My personal, biased, unfounded opinion is because of its similarity to human tissue (you can actually implant pig organs in people and if you've ever watched Mythbusters they ALWAYS use pig skin to simulate human skin because it is so close). Obviously, marinating it in acid or curing it changes the chemical structure of the pork in some way. It is either destroying pathogens that affect us (because pork is so similar to human tissue), or it is denaturing the proteins to enough of a degree that it no longer resembles human tissue. In my mind, it has to be one of those things - not saying I'm right, but clearly pork needs to be prepared to a degree and shouldn't be consumed fresh and unprocessed, unlike chicken, pork, beef, lamb, fish, etc.

Luckily, pork tastes a hell of a lot better cured and/or marinated! Just rub it down with salt and soak it in vinegar the night before you cook it. No problem.

What is the most consumed meat in the world? - Quora

For thousands of years, poultry supplied meat and eggs, cattle, sheep and goats provided meat and milk, and pigs provided a source of meat. These species are the main sources of animal protein for humans. The meat derived from cattle is known as beef, meat derived from pigs as pork and from chickens as poultry. Pork is the most widely eaten meat in the world accounting for over 36% of the world meat intake. It is followed by poultry and beef with about 33% and 24% respectively.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-18-2013 at 06:59 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalJewishAmericanPrincess View Post
    You didn't go far enough; Leviticus 11:8, "You shall not eat of their flesh nor touch their carcasses; they are unclean to you."

No football for you, freak!
    Bless me Father, for I have sinned...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    No killing and butchering animals does NOT = tough.
    It's no different that planting a seed, water the plant, and picking the fruit.
    It's just that I was raised doing a thing that its natural for humans to do... and most other people haven't been.
    It's not "tough", a little spiritual maybe, but not tough at all.
    Those assertions really do let me know that it's something you don't understand at all.
    Nicely said. I actually got a little choked up.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a huge fan of pork at all but I buy it because it's a relatively cheap costing source of protein. After reading this thread I'm more inclined to spend the extra money on beef(which I enjoy quite a bit more anyway)

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Can you site some sources on why you think red meat should not be eaten more than once a week? It's not that it isn't primal, it's just odd that you've placed a limit on a food that (I would say) most of us believe to be inherently good (provided it is sourced well).
    First I have to say that I love beef, and when eating it I can easily consume 2 pound of it in one sitting and I feel very good on it, probably due to the creatine and iron. But it has been known for a long time that it is not too healthy eating it very often, and that it's better to replace some of it with poultry, fowl and fish.

Check out this mega study made on health risk related to red meat:

ABSTRACT

Background Red meat consumption has been associated with an increased risk of chronic diseases. However, its relationship with mortality remains uncertain.

Methods
    We prospectively observed 37 698 men from the Health Professionals Follow-up Study (1986-2008) and 83 644 women from the Nurses' Health Study (1980-2008) who were free of cardiovascular disease (CVD) and cancer at baseline. Diet was assessed by validated food frequency questionnaires and updated every 4 years.

Results
    We documented 23 926 deaths (including 5910 CVD and 9464 cancer deaths) during 2.96 million person-years of follow-up. After multivariate adjustment for major lifestyle and dietary risk factors, the pooled hazard ratio (HR) (95% CI) of total mortality for a 1-serving-per-day increase was 1.13 (1.07-1.20) for unprocessed red meat and 1.20 (1.15-1.24) for processed red meat. The corresponding HRs (95% CIs) were 1.18 (1.13-1.23) and 1.21 (1.13-1.31) for CVD mortality and 1.10 (1.06-1.14) and 1.16 (1.09-1.23) for cancer mortality. We estimated that substitutions of 1 serving per day of other foods (including fish, poultry, nuts, legumes, low-fat dairy, and whole grains) for 1 serving per day of red meat were associated with a 7% to 19% lower mortality risk. We also estimated that 9.3% of deaths in men and 7.6% in women in these cohorts could be prevented at the end of follow-up if all the individuals consumed fewer than 0.5 servings per day (approximately 42 g/d) of red meat.

Conclusions
    Red meat consumption is associated with an increased risk of total, CVD, and cancer mortality. Substitution of other healthy protein sources for red meat is associated with a lower mortality risk.

BBC News - Red meat increases death, cancer and heart risk, says study

JAMA Network | JAMA Internal Medicine | Red Meat Consumption and MortalityResults From 2 Prospective Cohort Studies
    Last edited by Gorbag; 01-18-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    First I have to say that I love beef, and when eating it I can easily consume 2 pound of it in one sitting and I feel very good on it, probably due to the creatine and iron. But it has been known for a long time that it is not too healthy eating it very often, and that it's better to replace some of it with poultry, fowl and fish and pork

Check out this mega study made on health risk related to red meat......
    That junk science has been thoroughly debunked so many times....where the hell have you been???

?BTW I have seen data on the nurses health study where they can statistically show that the lower the carbohydrate consumed by any group the healthier they where.....so carbs are the devils right?!

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    I grew up being told red meat in excess was bad, that doesn't mean it is. "Knowing for a long time" isn't really a valid unit of measurement, in other words.

Agreed with Neckie on this one. I don't find those sources convincing. Studying one particular food item with a SAD does not indicate anything. Also, "Unprocessed" vs "processed" red meat does not mean this was from pasture-raised grass-fed cows. The source of the meat, before processing, is important.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    That junk science has been thoroughly debunked so many times....where the hell have you been???
    Srsly. WTF.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    That junk science has been thoroughly debunked so many times....where the hell have you been??
    "Debunked" by whom? Lots of evidence goes against excessive red meat consumption, also check out this to get you started:

Red meat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    "Debunked" by whom? Lots of evidence goes against excessive red meat consumption, also check out this to get you started:

Red meat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I'm convinced!

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast