Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 252

Thread: Resistant Starch - A Solution In Search of a Problem page 8

  1. #71
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,458
    Shop Now
    Otzi, you point out that the richest source of RS of all would be things like a chilled pasta salad, so... Chilled grains for RS and gut health, eh? Seems too good to be true, but you've just given many people another excuse to justify grain consumption.

  2. #72
    otzi's Avatar
    otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Otzi, you point out that the richest source of RS of all would be things like a chilled pasta salad, so... Chilled grains for RS and gut health, eh? Seems too good to be true, but you've just given many people another excuse to justify grain consumption.
    Golly, guys, give me a break!

    Here's where this whole mess started and then I'm done:

    I made an observation a while back that RS is considered healthful to gut flora and colon health, but that the RS is almost completely absent from the Primal Blueprint diet. I then learnt that potatoes and rice contain RS, and that including them in your diet will at least give you SAD levels of a safer RS than grains. Eating cooked and cooled rice or potatoes ups that a bit more.

    How this took such a terrible turn, I will never know...I feel I was baited into this by PKLOPP who is still sore everyone called him a douchebag for saying he was doing a potato diet, but including meat and dairy.

    I stand behind my assertion: "RS is important for gut health and may impart beneficial metabolism improvement. Therefore we should seek out and eat PB approved sources like potato and rice"

    That's all!

  3. #73
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,458
    You claimed that RS was useful for a healthy gut but have latched onto it like a new sort of "golden rule of gut health" WITHOUT proving that it was NECESSARY for a healthful gut.

    I think people are just looking for more compelling evidence that resistant starch is actually necessary for a healthy gut and not just another thing that can be useful but isn't really required.

  4. #74
    otzi's Avatar
    otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    You claimed that RS was useful for a healthy gut but have latched onto it like a new sort of "golden rule of gut health" WITHOUT proving that it was NECESSARY for a healthful gut.

    I think people are just looking for more compelling evidence that resistant starch is actually necessary for a healthy gut and not just another thing that can be useful but isn't really required.
    Then let's clear up the air...I concur that it may not be required. The human body is an amazing piece of machinery.

    However, all the evidence I have seen points to the fact that RS is, indeed a huge component of colon health and may impart metabolic improvements. I have never seen anything that says RS is in the least harmful or not required.

    If anybody could find anything that says it is not necessary or not optimal for gut health, then I would love to see it, because I don't think you will ever find anything like that. In fact, the more I looked at RS in a critical light, the more I wanted to target it in my diet...primally, of course, with potatoes and rice.

    If I was really serious about turning into an RS zealot, I would start a thread called "Eat MOAR RS", but as I haven't yet, I'll just play along with you guys.

  5. #75
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,124
    Otzi I'm gonna go have some sushi right now just for you

    As for finding something to prove you don't need RS....wouldn't that be any HG society that basically didn't have access to carbs?

  6. #76
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,458
    If you're dead set determined otzi, then here is more info than anyone EVER wants to know about resistant starch.

    http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewco...ut%20health%22

  7. #77
    otzi's Avatar
    otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    If you're dead set determined otzi, then here is more info than anyone EVER wants to know about resistant starch.

    http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewco...ut%20health%22
    I've seen this paper. This paragraph was the basis of my idea to eat cooked, cooked and cooled, and raw potato:

    The type of RS seems to influence the modulation effects even the starch is from the same
    origin. Kleessen et al. (1997) compared the effects of native potato starch (type 2 RS) and
    retrograded potato starch (type 3 RS) feeding on the shifts of bacteria population in male
    Wistar rats. Although both RS given at 10% (wt/wt diet) increased cecal Bifidobacterium
    counting compared to control starch (highly digestible waxy corn starch), only retrograded
    starch significantly increased cecal Lactobacillus, Streptococcus and Enterobacteria counting.
    Further analysis of Lactobacillus species with FISH showed that Lactobacillus cellobiosus
    was enriched with the highest abundance in animals fed retrograded starch.

  8. #78
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Otzi I'm gonna go have some sushi right now just for you

    As for finding something to prove you don't need RS....wouldn't that be any HG society that basically didn't have access to carbs?
    Ugh, like who? Every hunter gatherer society had access to starch and fiber.

  9. #79
    otzi's Avatar
    otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Ugh, like who? Every hunter gatherer society had access to starch and fiber.
    I think it is possible to live with a sterile gut, evidence from the fact you can kill everything off with antibiotics and still survive. But the truth is, we are supposed to have bacteria in our guts and they do good (or bad) things for us.

    Probably the only HG group that didn't have access to year-round starchy tubers would be the Inuit, but they weren't as starch depleted as many say. Seaweed was a big part of the diet, as well as Eskimo potato - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    It's also possible that there are other things that feed the bacteria just as well as RS from potatoes/starchy plants such as the stomach contents of ruminants, which the Inuit ate, or just plain dirt.

    As for me, RS is just another reason to eat potatoes.

  10. #80
    Terry H's Avatar
    Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    667
    A FELLOW SCIENCE MAJOR AND NOTED COMMENTATER(sorry cd.n't resist-hee hee there I go again stop me before I post ano study I haven't read and/or don't understand) PEER-VINDICATES OTZI!Al Sharpton's Hilarious Teleprompter Flub On MSNBC Show - YouTube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2CifYWxJXaI
    Last edited by Terry H; 02-13-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •