Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Resistant Starch - A Solution In Search of a Problem page 18

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I'd take you out for sushi any day! RS or no...

You did point me in one direction on this RS buzz that I like. The people recommending high levels of RS intake all seem to be associated with the Hi-Maize corporation. I was a bit baffled at first why Australia seemed to be so far ahead of the curve in RS recommendations on intake, also.

In a 'follow the money' bit of sleuthwork, I see that Hi-Maize is made by a company called Ingredion, a conglomerate of Corn Products and National Starch. They have a big network of Australian bakeries using Hi-Maize to increase RS. What else is Ingredion famous for? High Fructose Corn Syrup...

So, while I still am a firm believer that RS is a real thing, and healthful to the gut, I am now also seeing that it is probably being hyped by it's makers who are interested in selling corn products.

I think a diet totally devoid of RS can't be the best diet, but that amounts of 20g/day, as recommended by the makers of Hi-Maize, probably is not needed and who knows, may be harmful.

Oh, Otzi. There is hope for you yet my friend. You figured it out. Marketing hype=/=nutritional necessity. Let's go out for sushi to celebrate.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    [/B]
    Marketing hype=/=nutritional necessity.
    Yes, and that sucks when the 'marketing hype' is supposed peer-reviewed studies. I've seen this before with things like vitamins, herbal supplements, and even Atkin's Diet products.

Just a guess, but I'm thinking RSQueen may be someone who works in the industry and got a ping to this forum by one of my links to their sites. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

RSQueen is offline Junior Member
    How do you jump from lots of science (published by the best scientific journals all over the world) to it's all marketing hype? And FYI, I am intrigued by RS and picked up your blog on my daily search. I am following this topic closely because it's intriguing and is changing how I view carbohydrates. I also like probing into different approaches to eating and always wonder how people end up where they end up.

Paleobird Guest
    Looks like the King and Queen of RS need some couples counseling.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RSQueen View Post
    How do you jump from lots of science (published by the best scientific journals all over the world) to it's all marketing hype? And FYI, I am intrigued by RS and picked up your blog on my daily search. I am following this topic closely because it's intriguing and is changing how I view carbohydrates. I also like probing into different approaches to eating and always wonder how people end up where they end up.
    I have seen so many studies funded by the food giants, it ridiculous. One of the first studies I linked in this thread, Dietary Fibre Improves First-phase Insulin Secretion in Overweight Individuals was funded by a food corp. "Competing Interests: CLB received an educational fellowship from Premier Foods; this fellowship was independent to the research and was not involved in the study design, collection, analysis and interpretation of data, writing of the paper and/or decisions to submit the publication. This does not alter the authors' adherence to all the PLoS ONE policies on sharing data and materials. The other authors have declared that no competing interests exist."

This got me to digging. I found this press release from 2004:

BRIDGEWATER, N.J., June 16 /PRNewswire/ -- National Starch announced that it completed an expansion on June 1 which increased the production capacity for Hi-maize(TM) resistant starch by 33 percent. This is the second expansion this year and provides National with ample capacity to meet increasing customer demand. Hi-maize is the only natural, granular resistant starch available in the U.S. Within the last year Hi-maize has been formulated into many low-carb foods because of its ease of use, its natural identity and its strong clinical support. The two expansions in 2004 are part of a three-year, multimillion dollar investment that National is making to support research, clinical studies, plant science, manufacturing, marketing and educational efforts related to Hi-maize and other novel carbohydrate nutrition products. "We recognize that the overall availability of enabling ingredients like fiber was not sufficient to meet the avalanche of demand for low-carb foods in the past year. The food industry and ingredient suppliers did not anticipate the impact or the immense popularity of reduced-carbohydrate diets. The 2004 expansions reflect our commitment to support our customers who use National's innovative products like Hi-maize," said Jim Zallie, Senior Corporate Vice President, Natural Polymers Group, National Starch and Chemical Company. "Food manufacturers use Hi-maize because it increases the fiber content of foods without compromising the product quality, and in baking applications no other ingredient gives them the same combination of functionality and compelling label claims." While the industry continues to monitor the highly dynamic low-carb market for growth prospects and sustainability, there appears to be one clear outcome already -- this market phenomenon has increased consumers' awareness about the dramatic impact carbohydrates have on health and well-being. "There will be opportunities to leverage this higher awareness in the next generation of carbohydrate-rich foods that are better-for-you. Many of our customers already recognize that Hi-maize's proven health-related benefits open new possibilities beyond just 'high fiber' and 'low-carb.' Hi-maize will blaze a trail to a new class of 'better-for-you' carbs," said Zallie. National Starch pioneered the development of resistant starches and has committed itself for more than 10 years to providing clinically validated, natural and wholesome fiber ingredients for fiber-enriched foods and beverages. Hi-maize is the first resistant starch introduced to the food industry and delivers the health advantages of fiber to foods without changing the taste or texture. Hi-maize is classified as a type-2 resistant starch (RS2) and because it is not chemically modified, it can be designated simply as "starch" on food product labels. More than 40 published peer-reviewed, human clinical nutritional studies have shown RS2 starches to contribute specific digestive health and nutritional benefits. No other resistant starch has been studied this extensively in humans. National Starch Carbohydrate Nutrition, a unit of National Starch and Chemical Company, manufactures carbohydrate-based nutrition products from natural, renewable sources for customers worldwide. National Starch grows its own proprietary, identity-preserved, non-GM, hybrid corn under contract to make Hi-maize. The company, which had sales of $3.05 billion in 2003, has its headquarters in Bridgewater, N.J., and is a member of the ICI Group. For more information on Hi-maize, visit Hi-maize USA Home Page or www.carbohydratenutrition.com, or contact the National Starch Information Center, One Matrix Drive, Monroe, NJ 08831. Phone: 1-800-797-4992. Fax: 1-609-409-5699. E-mail: nscinquiry@salessupport.com.
    PR Newswire (National Starch Expands Manufacturing to Boost Production of Hi-Maize(TM) Resistant Starch -- re> BRIDGEWATER, N.J., June 16 /PRNewswire/ --)

Many of the RS studies done since 2004 have been funded by National Starch and it's new owners, Ingredion.

It also didn't escape my attention that RSQueen is from Clinton, NJ, less than 20 minutes away from the National Starch Information Center in Monroe, NJ and the National Starch HQ in Bridgewater, NJ.

Possibly all coincidences.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Just because a study is funded by the enemy doesn't mean every conclusion it reaches is wrong. But you are right to be skeptical Otzi. Way to go!

And yes, it might POSSIBLY be coincidence on all accounts. Heh.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Regardless of all that stuff, I still like PHD's take on it. I can't tell what page, sorry, my PC Kindle is weird, but Chapter 14 on Fiber. I like his "takeaways" at the end of the sections, and how he sums all the science-y stuff up for peeps like me that just want the baby and not the whole pregnancy. (sometimes anyways)
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Just because a study is funded by the enemy doesn't mean every conclusion it reaches is wrong. But you are right to be skeptical Otzi. Way to go!

And yes, it might POSSIBLY be coincidence on all accounts. Heh.
    Very true. As I said, I think RS is a valid concept and a diet void of it is not right.

If RSQueen is an employee of National Starch as I think, she could still give us good insight. Just noticed one of the links she provided said:

"Author disclosures: K. C. Maki, K. M. Kelley, A. L. Lawless, A. L. Schild, and T. M. Rains are employees of Provident Clinical Research, which has received research grant support from National Starch, LLC, the producer of the product studied. C. L. Pelkman and E. T. Finocchiaro are employees of National Starch, LLC, the producer of the product studied."

If not, I do apologize--just wouldn't be the first time someone came here with an agenda.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    If not, I do apologize--just wouldn't be the first time someone came here with an agenda.
    Now THAT is truth.

Althaur is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

+2 on this Otzi. And for the record, I don't think you're wrong in continuing to include potatoes and some rice in your diet if you can handle it. I just disagree with the direction some people have taken the whole potato "magic" idea.

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast