Thread: Need some encouragement! And how do I do this diet on a budget? page

Songbird7 is offline Junior Member

Need some encouragement! And how do I do this diet on a budget?

Shop Now
    Hi everyone!
    I came across this site as I've been searching for answers to my health problems. As I'm reading, it all makes sense to me. I've been hypoglycemic my entire life, with allergies and asthma....and it's hard to think all the way back, but I've had GI issues for awhile, too. After having my 3 kids, I feel like my body is just shutting down. I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome and was told to take Prozac or Ritalin. I rejected both because I knew deep down that there is something REAL going on in my body, and that there has to be an answer. I believe what Hippocrates said when he said "let food be your medicine and medicine your food". I had cut gluten out of my diet as an experiment and all of my IBS symptoms went away, but I still have enormous fatigue, depression, mood swings, etc. I had to give up Zumba class because I would get so light headed and sick. Long story short, I know this is the way I need to go but I'm having such a difficult time cutting out grains. I have little kids who like it when I bake cookies and home made bread, and as a stay at home mom on a limited budget I simply cannot afford $10 for a small bag of coconut flour! If I spend money like that, my husband will divorce me. We just can't do it. So, as I'm scanning through all of the delicious recipes, I'm constantly thinking "that's gonna be expensive"....I need simple recipes and snacks that my kids are going to like. We basically eat chicken, ground turkey, and some wild salmon with sides of veggies like mashed cauliflower, broccoli, kale, etc. It's lunches and breakfast that I struggle with. We've been eating oatmeal every morning! My husband doesn't have time in the morning for anything but cereal out of the box. I don't want to torture anyone, but I know we need to change our diet. Help!

sarahelyse is offline Member
    I'm on a pretty tight budget as well, but its just me (making food choices for one is a lot easier than 5!) but I do have one suggestion from my personal experience:

Don't try to make substitutes for cookies, brownies, cake, etc. Just drop them out. Like you pointed out, the alternatives for flour are really hard to justify on a tight budget, since you can't buy much. I also read somewhere recently (I can't remember where, so if someone can give credit, please do!) that its not always a good choice to eat whatever the substitute is (ex. the amount of almond flour needed to make cookies turns out to be a lot of almonds!)

For treats/desserts, I've made my own version of a coconut oil ball. Its small and sweet and filling, so hopefully it will work on the little ones! I just melt some coconut oil and honey and throw whatever extract I have in my cabinet. I tried peppermint last time, and they were delicious! (I'm so poor that I had to reuse a styrofoam egg carton for this next step!) Separate the liquid mixture into bite-sized amounts and throw them in the refrigerator to set.

I hope this helped a bit!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Lots to learn, read people's journals for a lot of good ideas, but don't get too distracted from basic PB.

Oatmeal was the last thing I gave up, too!

Boiled eggs for husband if they don't give him gas.

Cutting out grains was accomplished (for me and my wife) by adding new foods. And the liberating concept that animal fat is a healthy, safe food, along with all sorts of seafood and land meat. Don't be surprised if weight loss doesn't happen right away, though for many it does, mine was slow.

Make your own tallow (from grass-fed critters) for super cheap. $5.00 can buy 20,000 calories.

Load up on eggs and find a cheap source for avocados, like the grocery outlet. Asian markets also are an amazing source of very affordable animal and plant foods, esp. coconut and coconut products. Just read those labels!

Will your kids eat canned fish, olives, avocado, etc.? I've also seen some pretty clean-looking sweet potato chips around lately, ingredients should be little more than 'sweet potato' and a safe fat.

And search the site for threads on affordable, cheap, budget, Primal. There are no fewer than 15 threads full of great ideas.

Welcome!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

shengtian is offline Junior Member
    I don't want to torture anyone, but I know we need to change our diet. Help!

Songbird7 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks! I do think I'm going to have to just drop the snacks. It's hard with kids, but I'm lucky that they do eat most of what I put in front of them. They love meat and veggies, and eat salads. Avocado was one of the first foods I gave my kids and they love guacamole (just need to find an alternative to tortilla chips). I eat unrefined organic coconut oil (3 Tbsp/day) to help with the chronic fatigue. It has made my hair stop falling out, so that is encouraging. I'll have to try flavoring the coconut oil! Never thought of that :-) I have a double birthday party coming up for 2 of my boys, so I'm doing gluten free cake for them...I figure it's better than wheat. I plan on having paleo snacks like guacamole eggs and deviled eggs with home made mayo. I eat a ton of eggs. I can get them cheap from the Amish and they are free range organic ($1.90/dozen!!). We just ordered a whole pig so my freezer will be full of pork and lard. We have a fairly large garden, so once it is warm enough we'll have a lot of our own veggies. I also think about all of the things I won't be buying anymore, so maybe it all comes out even. I don't like dropping $20 on a bottle of honey or coconut oil, or $300 on a pig, but I know it's worth it. Thanks for your input and tips!

Dude, $1.90/ dozen??!! As we say in New England, wicked jealous.

sarahelyse is offline Member
    One more thing that I've found to work around my schedule is IF. I don't know how open your hubby is to the idea, but I don't usually have time for breakfast in the morning, so I just skip it all together (I still have coffee and a bit of creamer, though!) I can't remember the specific name for this type of IF, but I think its a 16hr fast with 8hrs open for eating. The 16hrs is super easy if most of those hours are taken up by sleeping! If you nose around a bit, you'll find a TON of information on it! And a bunch of perks!