Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using coconut oil without the coconutty flavor? page

Using coconut oil without the coconutty flavor?

Primal Fuel
    I have a very tasty full-fat greek yogurt and berry smoothie most mornings, usually with about half a tbsp of honey thrown in because I like my smoothies sweet. This morning I decided to break out the coconut oil for the first time and throw some in the mix. Problem: I don't like the taste of coconut, and this gave a very distinct coconutty taste to my smoothie that got more pronounced the more I drank. I'd really like to be able to use coconut oil, because I'm always looking for a good way to get more fat into my diet, but this isn't going to work for me. I don't drink coffee or tea, either, so that's out. I know some people eat it straight out of the jar, but I tried that and couldn't get past the taste and oily texture.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to use my coconut oil without the coconutty taste? Is there a different type of coconut oil that has less flavor? I'm currently using an organic whole kernel, cold-pressed, virgin coconut oil.
    Height: 5'7"
    SW: 178.0 (1/1/2013)
    CW: 163.2
    GW: I'll know when I get there!

My Primal Journal

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Get refined coconut oil, Spectrum makes it and also Whole Foods has it's own brand. No coconut flavor, I use it all the time for cooking. I almost never use virgin (though I have it) because I also don't like the coconut taste.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I use the refined stuff (not coconutty-smelling) because it's so versatile due to its high smoke point and lack of smell. I deep fry with it, sautee with it, shave with it, moisturize after sun exposure, use it as a lip balm, substitute it for WD-40, do "oil pulling," add it to my toothpaste, put it on cuts and scrapes, and probably a half dozen other things I'm forgetting at the moment. I just purchased a 5-gallon bucket from Tropical Traditions, so I'm probably set for a little while.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    I buy it by the gallon from TT, too. Get the refined expeller cold-pressed. I tend to keep both refined and unrefined on hand. I like the flavor with my over-easy eggs but some in my family don't like that flavor in anything.

lev96 is offline Member
    my wife doesn't like the flavor either. so when I am cooking something for both of us, I use the "expeller pressed" instead of the virgin. we've used Wilderness Family brand that I picked up via amazon.com. It is as flavorless as canola oil.

Amazon.com: Wilderness Family Naturals Coconut Oil (32oz) 1: Health & Personal Care

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I will have to look into the refined expeller-pressed stuff. Does that have the same health benefits as unrefined? Is there anything I should steer clear of (like "olive oil" that has canola oil in it)?

I'm considering making chocolate candy with the unrefined coconut oil, sweetened with a bit of honey. I think the coconut flavor may blend better with chocolate than the berries in my smoothie. I've looked up a few recipes for ideas. If I like the result, that would be a good way to get more coconut oil into my diet.

My Primal Journal

I made some chocolate candy this morning, and it came out great. Four ingredients, less than five minutes to mix, and about half an hour to set up in the freezer. The coconut gives a nice sweetness to the chocolate without the overpowering coconutty flavor. I just made it flat because I don't have any candy molds, but I might have to get some. This could be good to bring a nice primal-friendly dessert to parties.

My Primal Journal

lev96 is offline Member
    Mark posted recently that the health benefits of expeller pressed vs. virgin was identical. It was sometime in the past few months, so just search for it. Sorry I don't have the link.

Quote Originally Posted by lpeppersauce View Post
    Thanks for the replies, everyone! I will have to look into the refined expeller-pressed stuff. Does that have the same health benefits as unrefined? Is there anything I should steer clear of (like "olive oil" that has canola oil in it)?

I'm considering making chocolate candy with the unrefined coconut oil, sweetened with a bit of honey. I think the coconut flavor may blend better with chocolate than the berries in my smoothie. I've looked up a few recipes for ideas. If I like the result, that would be a good way to get more coconut oil into my diet.

Awesome, thanks! I just found that post here. I just bought some Spectrum refined expeller-pressed stuff to try out. If I like it, I might try the Tropical Traditions bucket.

My Primal Journal

funkyscooter is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Get refined coconut oil, Spectrum makes it and also Whole Foods has it's own brand. No coconut flavor, I use it all the time for cooking. I almost never use virgin (though I have it) because I also don't like the coconut taste.
    I wouldn't get refined oil as it looses Coconut Oil benefits. If you really want all the health benefits go with Cold pressed, organic virgin coconut oil. In US try Coconut Oil: America's Best Source for Buying Coconut Oil! in UK try Buy Coconut Oil UK | Best Quality Natural Organic Virgin Coconut Oil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast